James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

You know... you're starting to scare me, Linden. I think you know more about James than I do about my boyfriend.

Can we get Linden a title that says "resident James May encyclopedia" or something? If anybody deserves an awesome title like that, it's you LindenChase :D

(mods? pwease???? :D)

It still scares me a bit that people know this sort of stuff. I had someone come up and ask me what soft drink James liked so they could make sure there was some available. Why would I know that? Why did she ask *me* and not the woman from the production company, who *does* have a reason to know?

.... he likes Doritos, i know that :S

(is looking at the September part of her Top Gear calendar- Brit Car 24 hr race)

EDIT: eugh, he's eating the "nacho cheese" flavour. "Cheese Supreme" is so much better!

You know... you're starting to scare me, Linden. I think you know more about James than I do about my boyfriend.

Well, not having a boyfriend of my own helps. ;)

No worry. I just happen to have an amazing memeory for trivial stuff. I have never lost a game of Trivial Pursuit in my life. Friends actually used to think I had learned the cards by heart.

By the way, apart from the "Keep Calm and Carry On" shirts, this one is now also available: :mrgreen:

zoom-3.jpg

Last edited:
^ That would be so much more ironic if the upside down crown were a mushroom cloud.

and James is a ginger beer drinker.. (weird man) I just remeber random facts.. altho the way to a mans heart is via their stomache so americain hard gums normal go down well with the ginger beer

Anyone tried that alcoholic ginger beer? I'd normally get it in Bargain Booze, but they don't seem to have them down here...

Yay, Ginger beer is awesome. And I just remembered, I've got an unopened packet of American hard gums next to my computer from the british lolly shop... Cool :)

and my dad had alcoholic Ginger beer last Saturday and I tried it- I don't think it tasted any different, but I had only the tiniest sip- still 6 days til I can legally drink :)

Ok ex-pats, best I can figure an "American hard gum" is a gumdrop??? I fail to see the fascination.

Ok ex-pats, best I can figure an "American hard gum" is a gumdrop??? I fail to see the fascination.

They are gumdrops. I fail to see the facination myself, but I do like the red ones.

I had a friend from England and she ran sort of a british grocery store. I got to try a lot of british "grioceries" and I have to say, I didn't like most of it.

They are gumdrops. I fail to see the facination myself, but I do like the red ones.

I had a friend from England and she ran sort of a british grocery store. I got to try a lot of british "grioceries" and I have to say, I didn't like most of it.

Ok good! Thanks skylock. I was pretty confused as I've never actually known anyone to buy a bag of gumdrops to EAT. As far as I know, their soul purpose in the US is the decorate gingerbread houses at Christmas (oh, and also for doing hands on genetics experiments with middle school kids, forgot that). They keep them on the shelves there rest of the year so they'll be good and stale by the time the holidays roll around. The worst is when you get a spice drop expecting a gumdrop. Double blech.

OK, another dumb food-ish question. Is ginger beer like ginger ale here in the US?

Wikipedia says they are similar but not the same.

Last edited:

We knew an American friend of ours who moved to Britain to study had gone properly native when we found he'd started eating Marmite. I'm curious what you were subjected to, now, though.