James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

I'm a bit rubbish at being a girl, basically. I could have happily worked on any of the projects on Toy Stories because they all reflect things I loved playing with as a kid... and as an adult (there are sets of Scalextric and a Meccano Spitfire under my dressing table at the moment).

Add me to that list. :lol:

*hides her bottle of Innis & Gunn behind her back*

What, you're under my dressing table with the Scalextric and Meccano?!

Uh...no?

*hides Scalextric car behind her back*

*tries to get the dust bunnies out of her hair*

^____________________^

Do any of you know when the first show will come on air?

No, I don't know when it'll air, the production team don't seem to know either, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
Also, I would like to deny - whatever pictorial evidence to the contrary may exist - that any part of the building process was undertaken while under the influence of Hogsback T.E.A. Incidentally, you know you're having a bad day when you ask for a bottle of T.E.A with your lunch and it takes you a moment to work out why the chap behind the counter just asked if you want milk.

what the heck is Hogsback T.E.A. and any idea when James is going to stay in the house?

T.E.A stands for Traditional English Ale, Hogsback is the brewery. Why someone would think I'd spell it out if I wanted a cuppa I'm not sure. I don't know exactly when James will be staying in the house, no, but we should be finished by midweek. Unless he decides he wants anything *else* changed.

Well we thought we'd nearly finished it, but then some long-haired git turned up and started making demands, so we'll be busy again tomorrow. ;)
He had the absolute GALL to show up in Surrey whilst I was in Hammersmith AND in the Boxster when every other time he's brought the Panda Grrrr! ;)

There is that. Still, the house is nearly done, the outside pretty much is, so if anyone was thinking of going along for a look, tomorrow - when we're not working on it - would be a fairly good time. :)
I've done quite well at keeping out of people's photos so far, I intend to continue with this.

She's not kept out of mi-ine :evil:

I don't know exactly when James will be staying in the house, no, but we should be finished by midweek. Unless he decides he wants anything *else* changed.

As much as I love the man, he better bloody not!!
I rocked up there on Friday expecting to be helping with finishing touches, instead of which i was handed a large box of bricks and told to get on with building a hall floor! :rolleyes:
Which I then continued on Saturday, after getting up at 5.45am to clear my room so my landlords could shift the furniture into storage, then driving the 50miles up there.
I also took HeidiL into town to get cold medicine and how does she reward me? By giving me her cold, that's how! :(
So, spent all of yesterday running up & down stairs moving house, before driving back to Hastings!
Today am exhausted & feel like poo, but have still organised to get tomorrow afternoon off so I can drive all the way up to Dorking for our Volunteers' Farewell drinks, say goodbye to HeidiL before she heads back to the wilds of Lancashire, and (hopefully) see the finished article - yes i've said that before!!
Would be nice if they could organise for the man himself to be there (HeidiL, could you suggest it to Rebecca? ;) )

Have spread myself waaay too thin the last couple of weeks, but wouldn't have missed it for anything" :D

BTW, i went to a beer festival in Ealing last month sponsored by CAMRA, but the beard hasn't appeared yet....

Seeya tomorrow, I'll be there, then dashing off Wednesday to get some driving practice in before my test Thursday morning. Which I'll be doing in my car. I do hope that the examiner has a thing for knackered old cars... and is short. Though actually, concussing them by going over speed bumps could work to my advantage.

tell me about it i am moving heaven and hell to get there tomorrow.... if he has arranged anymore changes I swear i will use his spanners for something god never intended them to adjust
roni

To be fair, I don't think they were *changes* so much as him going 'er, why didn't you do this how we originally agreed?'

still would love to see his face if he dared to change anything else lol.......i am still dreaming in lego and i dont have a nail on my fingers that isnt broken or cracked...lol and to think that building isnt going to be there forever

Last edited:
True, but I've worked for some right mickey-mouse outfits in my IT career and I've hardly got to finish anything, so actually getting to actually see an end product is fantastic. Last minute fiddling I can deal with.

i am so sure there is a joke to be had compairing mickey mouse and james may but i am bound to get linched if i type it :) and last minute fiddling mmmmmm i think i had better shut up right now

Seeya tomorrow, I'll be there, then dashing off Wednesday to get some driving practice in before my test Thursday morning. Which I'll be doing in my car. I do hope that the examiner has a thing for knackered old cars... and is short. Though actually, concussing them by going over speed bumps could work to my advantage.

What is it with this driving test? Every time I see someone mention it, they are worried. I do not know of one person that has failed here and it seems like the UK has about a 50% fail rate. (or 66% if you go by the TG3)

Apparently you have to actually DRIVE on their tests, like more than around the block and 3 pt turn (which is all I had to do). Imagine that!

Apparently you have to actually DRIVE on their tests, like more than around the block and 3 pt turn (which is all I had to do). Imagine that!

I had to go around the block, make a Uturn, go back and park.

But then most everyone around here had been driving since they were 12 or so. (Tractors at least)

Still don't quite get all the nerves because even though my test didn't amount to much, I can't imagine they could have thrown anything at me I couldn't handle. And I was 15 at the time.

In the Netherlands most people need to take their test twice or more. Only about 50% pass the first time. And unlike in the UK and US, you have to be 18 to start taking lessons and you have to take them from a qualified driving instructor. The test indeed involves way more than do a u-turn and a trip around the block.

To me it's very strange that parents are allowed to teach their own kids how to drive. Considering how many sh*t drivers there are already, their kids aren't going to be any good at it either, are they?