James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

They're popping up on mininova now, one private tracker. I hate to say this, least I be killed to death, but I'm not overly eager for this one. I've never built a model anything in my life. Model planes? I mean, I'm sure it's cool enough, and James will make it cooler, but I'm not busting my knickers to see it.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere- 24kbps!!!! Boo-YAH!!!!

But yah, I've never heard of Airfix before this and I'm not too enthusiastic to dl it. The main reason I am straight away is because I'm trying to clear out my list of active torrents in utorrent so i don't have unfinished stuff to screw around with then i upgrade to win7. after that, I'm happy to wait a day until it is on eztv or something.

Also, check video offers, TchZ has put up a raidshare DL of it. That may be an alternative for those who don't want to register :)

Haha, that entire episode was fantastic. I'm not the world's biggest Airfix enthusiast - I've made a couple (badly) but it's great TV.

One nitpick, I guess. Bearing in mind each episode gears up to a "big stunt", and questions of "will it work", do you really have to show the end result of all 6 eps right at the beginning?

Back in the day, waaaay back in the day, I used to work in a hobby store that sold huge amounts of model planes, trains, and automobiles. I believe AMT was the biggest brand, for cars in our store anyway.

I used to LOVE making model cars. I did a lovely Lamborghini Countache with working lights and everything! I also made a cute little Chevy Chevette for my Grandmother. I even painted it silver with a maroon interior just like hers. I tried my hand at a giant Jaguar but never finished it. It was a difficult hobby if you wanted to do it correctly. Real easy if you just wanted to crash the thing into a wall when you were done.

I'm looking forward to watching the program. I admit to wondering myself what it would be like to have a life sized plastic model Jaaaaaaaag.

Brilliant ep, I must say, and although I never cared much for Airfix, I have helped my brother assemble and paint a few. They generally didn't last long though, as the urge to blow them up was just too strong.

Still, the memories ...

Plum's definitely on to a winner here. That coupled with James' enthusiasm make for a really entertaining watch. Can't wait for the upcoming shows, especially the plasticine garden and Lego house.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an overwhelming urge to go cook some spam fritters. :)

OK, actually brought tears to my eyes. That was the fastest 60 min I have ever watched a show and it was nice of his mom and dad to be there. He was busting with pride and I think he did a couple of those kids a good turn they will never forget.

(it never occured to be James was a bit bossy)

Awesome episode, very emotional for me :)
I didn't know about airfix before but know I want to make something!

Brilliant brilliant awesome amazing. I once was given a MiG-25 model kit (probably not Airfix-branded) but never got beyond half-heartedly sticking them together, but getting fiberglass to work on that scale without a full inner frame looked just plain terrifying. I'm flabbergasted, and will be the first in line for the next episodes.

Gonna wait until tomorrow to download the show (haven't got much broadband left) so can't wait until then.

The-Box is worth registering for...it has almost-literally every single British program under the sun. I have some invites if you want; PM for details.

I don't think you need invites at the moment, but if you do, like Labcoatguy I have some invites as well. So PM me if you need them.
I like the box because everyone is very keen to upload, as they have very strict rules about ratios. You get kicked out if it's below 1.0 for too long.

Awesome episode, very emotional for me :)
I didn't know about airfix before but know I want to make something!

You haven't seen James's other Toy show? Get right over to the FTP's and download. There are two of them. Toy show (I think) and My Sister's Toys.

They were very good.

^They are called James May's Top Toys and My Sister's Top Toys. From memory, one of these two on the FTPs is a very bad quality dl and has a bit chopped out of it, which is sad. I can't find any other copies though (subtle plea for help :D)

Last edited:
You haven't seen James's other Toy show? Get right over to the FTP's and download. There are two of them. Toy show (I think) and My Sister's Toys.

They were very good.

I'm getting those right now. I used to have them on the drive..but it seems to have gone missing...

On a different note, how good looking was that 911!! :cool:

What a shame he plans to sell it. :(

On a different note, how good looking was that 911!! :cool:

What a shame he plans to sell it. :(

I wondered if that was his car, but forgot to ask. I really liked the looks of it.