James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

I have seen 3.3 mil a few places. I wondered at the time if that was on top of all the free labor or if they had put a cost on that too.

Maybe if they had payed for everything that would have been around the cost, but a lot of the labor was free, lego "lent" the bricks. The wine people "lent" the land. I really think it was actually build for WAY less than that.

I'm thinking that's the "in a normal world " cost.

I can't see them really paying 3.3 mil and then tearing it down.

I noticed a snippet in a TV listings magazine which said that the Lego house was estimated to have cost ?3.2 million. Did it - anyone?

Mind you, the same magazine also said it was built at Legoland in Windsor

I have seen 3.3 mil a few places. I wondered at the time if that was on top of all the free labor or if they had put a cost on that too.

Maybe if they had payed for everything that would have been around the cost, but a lot of the labor was free, lego "lent" the bricks. The wine people "lent" the land. I really think it was actually build for WAY less than that.

I'm thinking that's the "in a normal world " cost.

I can't see them really paying 3.3 mil and then tearing it down.

Bit of confusion here I think, 3.2 million was the number of bricks not the cost!
Having said that, if we had all been paid, even at the minimum hourly rate...:p

The BBC wouldn't dare spend ?3.3m on an episode, the Daily Mail would have a field day.

I suspect they just totted up the retail value of the bricks to get that figure.

edit: oh nevermind :p

Bit of confusion here I think, 3.2 million was the number of bricks not the cost!
Having said that, if we had all been paid, even at the minimum hourly rate...:p

How is your "lego thumb" feeling these days? :D

How is your "lego thumb" feeling these days? :D

HeidiL had "Lego thumb", which was an RSI - type injury. Mind you, she worked there longer than me, because they didn't allow us public/volunteers in for a couple of weeks, presumably once they realised how long it would take!

I have very strong digits from doing surgery - when I did grip tests at the gym,(no rude comments please) my hands were much stronger than the average woman.
I had "Lego finger" where the ends of the digits hurt, swell, callus and go numb. Which made doing surgery interesting for a couple of weeks! Certainly it lasted longer than the house, but they're fine now thanks!:D

Last edited:
HeidiL had "Lego thumb", which was an RSI - type injury. Mind you, she worked there longer than me, because they didn't allow us public/volunteers in for a couple of weeks, presumably once they realised how long it would take!

I have very strong digits from doing surgery - when I did grip tests at the gym,(no rude comments please) my hands were much stronger than the average woman.
I had "Lego finger" where the ends of the digits hurt, swell, callus and go numb. Which made doing surgery interesting for a couple of weeks! Certainly it lasted longer than the house, but they're fine now thanks!:D

I can't even imagine doing up 3 million bricks!

Don't know if its been said but the Lego ep will air on the 27/12/09 at 8pm just before TG

Thanks, brilliant find! :bow:
Where did you get the info?

Don't know if its been said but the Lego ep will air on the 27/12/09 at 8pm just before TG

This seems like good scheduling and I?m sure you are correct, but the BBC Press Office* doesn?t seem to have it placed, as yet.

Have you got a TVTimes or other listing magazine already? :)

* .. and no scrolling down the page or you?ll see the S14E07 Top Gear spoiler. :p

My Dads paper came with a Christmas TV guide.

while it's probably true, just as a word of warning. christmas tv guides that are handed out at this time are notoriously unreliable and often have changes. i'd take it with a pinch of salt for the moment until something more concrete comes along to back it up.

I had to look, too. Couldn't help myself.

That's actually 14x06. Wilman mentioned on the TG website the finale (14x07) will air in January -- aka "the shit show".

UPDATE:
Spoke to Will Daws (as in Plum Pictures' owner) today at the Toy Fair, and he confirmed that the DVD is definitely coming out on 7th Dec, as advertised.

So those of us with it on order get to see the Lego/Hornby eps before they air! SQUEE!

Worryingly, when Christina introduced us he said "Oh I remember you - oh hang on it's from the programme. Yes you're in it" Oh crap.

On a better note, stoked I managed to get this for ell_sea_kay from James:
http://twitpic.com/rcvfc

He was really upset about Fusker, and that all us volunteers were shut out at the end, he said if he had known all of this he would have had words with someone. I know we keep saying it,but what a gent and a scholar!

Last edited:
Come to the Dark Side....we have cookies.

Are they chocolate chip? ;)

Worryingly, when Christina introduced us he said "Oh I remember you - oh hang on it's from the programme. Yes you're in it" Oh crap.

Snerk. :cool:

On a better note, stoked I managed to get this for ell_sea_kay from James:
http://twitpic.com/rcvfc

He was really upset about Fusker, and that all us volunteers were shut out at the end, he said if he had known all of this he would have had words with someone. I know we keep saying it,but what a gent and a scholar!

:clap: :thumbup: