James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

Update from the Man's Lab people themselves via Twitter:

If you plan to watch the model train race please come to either Barnstaple or Bideford Station after 1pm although we cannot guarantee when the trains will arrive. Please do not come to the Tarka Trail itself.

Have fun if you are going and try to post some pics! :)

Huge spoiler video about the outcome of yesterday's race. :)

Edit: of course this video doesn't tell who actually won the race: James/Oz or the Germans. Another spoiler then:

Alas, the Germans won.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the piece of music that was playing in the Airfix episode at 28:06 and other points? It's a rather martial theme heavy on the snare drums and trumpets that I've seen in other shows with a military bent to them.

James May's Toy Stories: The Great Train Race
Sunday 12 June
8:00pm - 9:00pm
BBC2

The presenter tries to construct a functioning 10-mile-long model railway between the Devon towns of Barnstaple and Bideford. His previous attempt to complete the challenge ended in failure in 2009 after series of equipment problems, but James refuses to accept defeat - and even challenges the German owners of the world's largest toy railway museum to a race along the route.

Awesome, Del :) Can't wait to see James & Oz reunited again ;)

that time slot must mean then that the new series of Top Gear will not be starting this weekend :( but this race looks epic :)

According to the RT website, they will show an old episode of Top Gear beforehand (the one where James drives up the Icelandic vulcano). But yes, epic race!

*checks dvd recorder for zillionth time*

Extra info from BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0120z75

Last edited:
Just watched it. What a lovely programme once again. Oz & James have such good chemistry, I really hope they will do new projects together in the future. :)

It's available on the box.

Sweet one. Loved Sebastian and Gerrit chain-smoking their way down the track.

This is part of my late night viewing because F1 won earlier. Looking forward to it. :D

Lovely programme, had a certain innocence in those creating it and also in those who turned up to will those little trains home. Plus, Sunday night family viewing. James has definitely achieved 'national treasure' status.

That was brilliant, great that they revisited it, although it doesn't seem like a year and a half. I have a Flying Scotsman in a box somewhere that I bought used, no idea if it had the realistic chuffing sound though. I'll have to dig it out and have a look.