James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

Finally something worth watching! :D And this is continuing right? I mean its not just a series with a single episode....I hope not..

Finally something worth watching! :D And this is continuing right? I mean its not just a series with a single episode....I hope not..

I'm afraid it is, although the production company has asked on twitter what toys we would like to see if they would do another series. :)

I'm not sure there's much else that can be done with classic toys without going too niche. He already covered most of the classics like action figures in his first Top Toys show, and the ones in his Toy Stories cover the extent of the universally popular ones. Unless there's something I'm missing.

I'm not sure there's much else that can be done with classic toys without going too niche. He already covered most of the classics like action figures in his first Top Toys show, and the ones in his Toy Stories cover the extent of the universally popular ones. Unless there's something I'm missing.

The mind boggles as to what might be done with Action Man*

*GI Joe to you

I suggested real life Monopoly with Richard Branson and Lord Sugar. :mrgreen:

The mind boggles as to what might be done with Action Man*

*GI Joe to you

I vote for Transformers. :D

Ah you see, this is why it's hard to make another series, everybody knows GI Joe and Transformers but what challenge is he going to do with them? Get together the biggest collection in the world? Realy big diorama? Would be cool for Joe and Transfans sure (hell I would love it) but I doubt it would appeal to that many people outside their respective fandoms I'm afraid.
Most of the stuff he can do the spectaculair building that anyone can recognise with is used...

I suggested real life Monopoly with Richard Branson and Lord Sugar. :mrgreen:

That could actualy work, while not realy a building challenge it would be instantly recognisable to all.

Last edited:
Please, not Branson and Sugar!

James has already mentioned that he'd like to super-supersize some of the challenges (I think there's a link to an interview around here somewhere that LindenChase posted). He mentioned a model train through the Channel Tunnel and a Lands End to John O'Groats Scalextric challenge. Only as ideas, though.

Please, not Branson and Sugar!

James has already mentioned that he'd like to super-supersize some of the challenges (I think there's a link to an interview around here somewhere that LindenChase posted). He mentioned a model train through the Channel Tunnel and a Lands End to John O'Groats Scalextric challenge. Only as ideas, though.

This could prove to be a tad ambitous :p That's 1400km.....It would be quicker to build a scale 1:1 pyramid in lego I think :p

I think you're right, Cowboy. ;)

If there were Stompers (link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pko_iTP4sQ) in the UK, I'd vote for them. I have no idea if they were sold anywhere outside the US, 'tho.

Balsa wood rubber-band-powered airplanes and "friction driven" cars (the ones with the flywheels inside that you pushed for several strokes on the ground before releasing) were pretty universal I think. There are plenty of universal toys that could be used for overly ambitious challenges. Crayons, soap bubbles, water balloons, jump ropes, the list is endless.

Hi Linden
I am a graphic designer and I've seen your lovely plasticine man, which I would like to use as an image for a childrens book to be published by a charity called BAAF, the British Association for Adoption and Fostering. (The book is for adoptive parents to buy for their newly adopted child, which is then filled in with family photos a bit like a scrapbook.) Could we have your permission to publish it, and would you like a credit with copyright symbol? Please could you let me know asap, as we are hoping to send this off to print soon, and I will have to hunt around for an alternative otherwise.
Thanks, Lynda Durrant.
PS I have had to register on this site to contact you, please could you reply by email: studio@helenjoubertdesign.com

Thanks to the people who alerted me to Lynda's message. I have send her a message.

In the 'The Great Train Race,' does anyone know the music played between 35:31 - 35:55 (it may faintly continue after this too)?

In the 'The Great Train Race,' does anyone know the music played between 35:31 - 35:55 (it may faintly continue after this too)?

Original one, or rematch?

And can you be more specific - not everybody has the shows downloaded and annotated! What was happening at this point?