James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

I did reply before but it hasnt posted???
Yes its in Liverpool, but the bridge is to span the canal outside of the Liver Building... 11 meter span and more Meccano than you can shake a stick at!!

New member posts are under moderation for a short while to keep the spammers and bots at bay. After a few posts they'll start showing up immediately.

It will be over the canal outside of the Liver building... 11 meter span and more Meccano than you could shake an Allen key at :lol:

Big Brother was wondering if this is the area? If so, be sure to give a friendly wave at the camera now and then. :mrgreen:

lcl_n.jpg

Last edited:
James either has a twin brother or has found a way to cramp 48 hours in one day. Here are some picsof him unveiling his full sized Airfix Spitfire at RAF Cosford Museum. All photographs by Paul Edwards.

Link!

cosford32-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, you know when you think about it, I don't think we have ever seen James' brother.

I like to think he has figured out something the rest of us can't figure out though.

2 things:

1. Re: cockpit James - Holy Bejeebus, Captain Eyebrows! Yikes!

2. Re: multiple Jameses - oh, the things I could do with a James May clone.... :wicked:

Now this is pathetic of me to notice. Is that actually a NEW shirt? Probably not, that would be too out of character.

^2 things:

1. Holy crap, I think so. At least, I've never seen it. Although, if it's not new, I'm sure LindenChase will shortly provide us with an example of the last time it made a public appearance.

2. Yes, it's pathetic of you to notice. ;)

Holy crap, I think so. At least, I've never seen it. Although, if it's not new, I'm sure LindenChase will shortly provide us with an example of the last time it made a public appearance.

From Top Gear, ages ago:

tg122-13.jpg

I need a hobby, seriously. :(

Last edited:
I need a hobby, seriously. :(

But then who would we turn to when we desperately need to know if James has a new shirt?!

...er, OTOH, maybe you and I both need a hobby...

For anyone in the Liverpool area: James will be presenting his Mecanno bridge this Sunday and it's open to the public!

The focus of the day will be the vast, moving, Meccano bridge over the canal that Top Gear presenter James May will be crossing.
The day will have a bit of a mini ?Great Exhibition? feel (like Crystal Palace or the Eiffel Tower) so while the bridge is the centre piece there will be a series of smaller (table top) machines that will be shown off in the Ferries building.
It is open to public between 1.30 and 5pm and is free. For information on how to get there ring the Traveline on 0871 200 22 33.

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/eventdetails.asp?eventid=95

Good luck, Munkyboy. I'm sure it will pay all off in the end. :)

Plum Pictures is now looking for an experienced site manager to help James build his Lego House:

http://guildford.gumtree.com/guildford/28/41211728.html

The location selected for this build will be at Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking, Surrey. We need an outgoing personality to get to grips with this ?grand design?, and to help James deliver the seemingly impossible and so are looking for a site manager to get involved with this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Sorry, it isnt this sunday, its a week on sunday. Been postponed for a week...
We have had no end of problems, Meccano in france not sending the correct parts for weeks and then not sending enough and the engineering firm Atkins changing the plans halfway through the build..
We have just exhausted the entire stock of nuts, and think we have used 41,000 of them so far and over ?36,000 of meccano parts...
We dont have enough people, the Meccano clubs are next to useless.. The Newcastle group esp is a waste of space.. The made two sections to 'help' and turned up on monday all smug saying how they had saved the day, when in reality what they built was wrong. His '40' years of meccano experience was c**p then... Plus James said on camera that what they did was rubbish!! :lol:
We have been working on this for 5 weeks, working 9am till 9pm and Im cream crackered... One more week to go..
By the way when the program is on tv and James says how relaxing and rewarding Meccano is, its because he turns up for a few hours filming and the skives off again.. Very nice guy though :D
Good luck, well done, hope you all get a credit when the series airs!:)

So it's already been donethen? Or getting unveiled this Sunday? Me confused.
If I missed this then that sucks so much. I live about 15 minutes away from there :(

So it's already been donethen? Or getting unveiled this Sunday? Me confused.
If I missed this then that sucks so much. I live about 15 minutes away from there :(
No, it's now this Sunday the 12th, so you can go you lucky thing! :). I'm stuck in Hampshire with a slow-to-mend broken ankle :(

No, it's now this Sunday the 12th, so you can go you lucky thing! :). I'm stuck in Hampshire with a slow-to-mend broken ankle :(

EXCITED. :D. Now to persuade someone to come with..

Get well soon in the future seens as it's slow-to-mend. :blink: But yeah, hope you're OK!

Beware: it's NOT this weekend!

Munkyboy mailed me that the grand unveiling is now postponed until (hopefully) the weekend of 4/5 August. This is to fit in with James's schedule.

Last edited: