James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

their soul purpose in the US is the decorate gingerbread houses at Christmas (oh, and also for doing hands on genetics experiments with middle school kids, forgot that).

Because you can easily genetically manipulate gumdrops?

Because you can easily genetically manipulate gumdrops?

I'd have to look it up, but I think you used the different colors to either represent base pairs or gene sequences. It's one of those stupid manipulative modeling things that's supposed to help you "learn by doing" but in a representative manner. It's called Rebobs, if you're interested. I'm sure it'll come up in Google. There were marshmallows and jelly beans involved as well. It's just the only time in my life I've ever bought gumdrops other than for gingerbread houses. They're the kind of thing you eat because they're there, but never buy yourself.

By the way, apart from the "Keep Calm and Carry On" shirts, this one is now also available: :mrgreen:

zoom-3.jpg

That's the one I want. :D

We knew an American friend of ours who moved to Britain to study had gone properly native when we found he'd started eating Marmite. I'm curious what you were subjected to, now, though.

I forget most of it, but I did have Marmite and to be honest, I am still not sure what it is. I also had Jammie Dodgers, good of course. I will have to remember what other things I had, but it was a lot of stuff. Her husband got transfered (army man) and I sadly lost touch with her.

Jammy Dodgers - neve saw anything it them myself.

I would not go out of my way to get one, but if you offered me one, I would take it.

There's not enough jam in jammie dodgers these days. By jam I mean artificial red fruit flavoured sticky stuff of course.

By the way, apart from the "Keep Calm and Carry On" shirts, this one is now also available: :mrgreen:

zoom-3.jpg

I have one of those! They're seriously limited stock now though, and marked down, so I suppose they're coming to the end of their run. I have a mug too :D

Another variation on that theme is the Drink Beer and Carry On tee.

main-tshirt_365h.jpg

As a CAMRA member, it would be remiss of me not to have one of those. I keep promising myself a KC&CO shirt too, because I have a cunning plan involving all three: I will layer them all together and wear them to the pub one night. The first one people see will be the 'traditional' KC&CO shirt, but as the evening progresses, I'll take it off to reveal the 'drink beer' one. Then, when the landlord rings the bell to call time, I'll slip that one off to reveal the 'now panic' one :lol: Wonder how long it will take for people to notice?

Actually, I could have done with the 'now panic' one when I was working on the Plasticine garden, because by the last studio day things were getting pretty hairy!

Ooh I might have to get the drink beer one. I've not got round to joining CAMRA yet, I was a bit worried I'd start growing a beard if I did.

Ooh I might have to get the drink beer one. I've not got round to joining CAMRA yet, I was a bit worried I'd start growing a beard if I did.

We're on the same slippery slope, I fear... we both have old British cars and like proper beer. Even worse, I have leather driving gloves... so far I've not grown a beard, but I do worry that it might be inevitable...

No driving gloves here, and I can't say I've ever been tempted by them. I'll really worry that I'm getting old when I start thinking a magic tree is a good idea.

No driving gloves here, and I can't say I've ever been tempted by them. I'll really worry that I'm getting old when I start thinking a magic tree is a good idea.

At least I don't have that worry... a Magic Tree is a bit pointless in a convertible :)

so far I've not grown a beard, but I do worry that it might be inevitable...

First will come the overwhelming desire to wear your Keep Calm and Carry On teeshirt over another shirt. After that is the chunky cardigan with elbow patches, THEN the beard..

Trust me...I know

There is that. Still, the house is nearly done, the outside pretty much is, so if anyone was thinking of going along for a look, tomorrow - when we're not working on it - would be a fairly good time. :)
I've done quite well at keeping out of people's photos so far, I intend to continue with this.

A lady with CAMRA membership? I'm probably not alone in being able to overlook a slight beard for that.

Wikipedia says they are similar but not the same.

Huh, I always thought ginger beer was like root beer but made with ginger. Hubby picked up a bottle once thinking it was ginger ale and boy was he surprised. In Texas, it would seem, they're nothing alike.

I'd have to look it up, but I think you used the different colors to either represent base pairs or gene sequences. It's one of those stupid manipulative modeling things that's supposed to help you "learn by doing" but in a representative manner. It's called Rebobs, if you're interested. I'm sure it'll come up in Google. There were marshmallows and jelly beans involved as well. It's just the only time in my life I've ever bought gumdrops other than for gingerbread houses. They're the kind of thing you eat because they're there, but never buy yourself.

Funny enough, I actually chose to major in genetics largely because of a pop-beads crossover demonstration in my AP Biology class in high school. That and poster-sized punnet squares and I was sold. :)

First will come the overwhelming desire to wear your Keep Calm and Carry On teeshirt over another shirt. After that is the chunky cardigan with elbow patches, THEN the beard..

Trust me...I know

Ah. Oh dear. Today I bought a moss green corduroy jacket with elbow patches...

A lady with CAMRA membership? I'm probably not alone in being able to overlook a slight beard for that.

The first time I went on a CAMRA trip I could see the thought processes happening...

Hmm... there's something weird about that really short bloke... he doesn't have a beard, but he does seem to have two terribly large growths protruding from his chest...

I'm a bit rubbish at being a girl, basically. I could have happily worked on any of the projects on Toy Stories because they all reflect things I loved playing with as a kid... and as an adult (there are sets of Scalextric and a Meccano Spitfire under my dressing table at the moment). Funnily enough, the Plasticine garden was probably the least 'me' of all the projects, but I really enjoyed my fortnight sculpting and creating :mrgreen: