James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

"he who shall not be named" was there? no wonder i felt the taint of evil then, although that might have been lunch.

Yep!
article-1215526-068B88A8000005DC-471_634x426.jpg

Ewww HeidiL must you dredge that up?

And....just finished (finally) the Meccano spisode.

I have to say, when James was crossing the bridge...and you could hear the quiver in his voice..

Deep inside...

I was, um...err...

..almost wanting it to make a *snap* noise. :p

I don't mean I wanted him to fall! I just ..um...

I guess I have a bit of a twisted mind. :p

Enjoyed this ep though not as much as the others, but that's to be expected as I was never into meccano. Still, there was definitely some choice clips -- James' "rave", the Eiffel Tower, the Porsche 911 weight test, his speech on the cherry picker and of course the final crossing.

One question I have though -- I've heard a lot of people go on about Edwina Currie and I half expected not to like her, but I quite enjoyed her contribution. Why is she not well liked?

BTW, congrats to all involved, especially the students. You guys did a marvelous job!

^I think i quite get why she isn't liked.. She might be fine in what little dose we got of her here, but I can easily see her being endlessly annoying if you had to listen to her for longer periods of time.. :D

Terrifying. How on earth have they managed to get through life without ever owning Ikea furniture? ;)

Trouble is, it's not just the oldschool types or it'd just be a matter of waiting for them to die out. So long as there's a few of the 'Maddy' type women out there, some people will persist in believing that all women are like that. I also once had someone tell me that I *must* have gone into IT in order to pull and that I'd be a shoe-obsessed heat-reading airhead if only I were pretty enough. The really depressing thing is, it was a woman who said it.
...which is exactly why Barbie and the like should be banned and all children, whatever their gender, should be given *proper* toys. I don't think I've ever encountered a woman in IT who didn't have Lego, Meccano and the like as a kid, but I've yet to work out whether it's because they were already that way inclined and demanded the toys, or whether the toys turned them techie. I'm tempted to assume the latter, as I was perfectly happy to wear pink frills and pretend to be a fairy princess when I was three, and then got a load of hand-me-down toys from cousins, and by the time I was seven thought girls were silly and would only play with boys...
I'm not likely to ever have kids of my own, though, and friends are strangely reluctant to let me experiment on theirs, so I suppose I'll never get a real answer. :)

I have three daughters. The first came out wanting her socks and bows to match her dress, and I would have questioned her maternity if such a thing were possible with a home birth. The second could never be bothered with her sister's dolls and such, but would kick and hit anything she came close to. The former is now a marketing manager and the latter a vulcanologist. The third came some time later and was exposed to dolls and balls from birth. She fell hard for lego, playdough and anything else she could get her hands on, and is an engineering student. I believe that as long as love and acceptance are present, nature takes it course.

One question I have though -- I've heard a lot of people go on about Edwina Currie and I half expected not to like her, but I quite enjoyed her contribution. Why is she not well liked?

ok, gather your seats children. history lesson.
at my best guess its because of things like the Salmonella scare in Eggs that kicked off in 1988. Wikipedia has it briefly mentioned here as follows.
In September 1986, Edwina Currie became a Junior Health Minister, but was forced to resign in December 1988 after she issued a warning about salmonella in British eggs. The claim, that "most of the egg production in this country, sadly, is now affected with salmonella" sparked outrage among farmers and egg producers, and caused egg sales in the country to rapidly decline. This caused particular anger in Northern Ireland where egg production is a significant part of the economy ? and at the Christmas party of the Industrial Development Board for Northern Ireland that year the featured dish was curried eggs. To make amends, in 1990 she began the National Egg Awareness Campaign.

As usual its down to politics, when its on anything else she's probably fine but when it comes to politics her popularity plummets lower than jedward.

She also had an affair with the prime minister did she not? Although I do have to "give props to" anyone who can make Gordon Ramsay nervous. That's skill.

She also had an affair with the prime minister did she not? Although I do have to "give props to" anyone who can make Gordon Ramsay nervous. That's skill.

she did, John Major. although the affair wasn't when he was PM but a Government Whip in Thatcher's Cabinet.

Yes, there's a whole lot of dirty jokes there. But let's please not make them, I'm completely out of brain-bleach.

I'm finally caught up with the series and can watch this thread again!

What a lovely little series. I like the Meccano and Airfix eps, but Plasticine was the winner for me. Even knowing what the garden looked like finished, I still got a little thrill the first time they showed it when it was done. And I adored James leading the revolution and then getting the medal and being all "Oh, never mind!" :)

Can't wait for the rest of the eps.