James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

I might do that. I have a decent sized monitor, but after the first of the year, I'm getting a bigger TV for my bedroom. May as well get a flat panel that I can use as a monitor as well.

I've found a few multi-region DVD players online, but ive heard that they don't always work very well..and would be hard to return.

The multiregion players work fine. I had mine for around 7 years. Never any trouble playing anything. I wore it out.

I just have a hard time buying a new one when I have 2 others. Not to mention a portable one.

The dvd player I had was a cheap one. Then I did some things to it via the remote, and it unlocked the multiregion ability of it. I got the instructions from the videohelp site.

The DVD players you can hack have the multiregion ability built in to it already. It is just locked for I am sure legal reasons. So you have to unlock it with a special code. As I remember, for mine, it was like press the number 3 twelve times, hit the enter button, hit 3445 as soon as the screen comes up and hit enter on the remote. I never had to do it but one time. (well it took me 3-4 times to get the seq exactly right, but after that, no problem)

I just have a hard time buying a new one when I have 2 others. Not to mention a portable one.

The DVD players you can hack have the multiregion ability built in to it already. It is just locked for I am sure legal reasons.

I think I'll give that a go. I have a great home theater system, and paid good money for my Denon.

I mean....how hard can it be? :p

So.... Plum are saying one thing, and the listings mags - which IME are usually wrong around Christmas - are saying another. Ah well, I'll be outside Tesco when it opens in the morning.

So.... Plum are saying one thing, and the listings mags - which IME are usually wrong around Christmas - are saying another. Ah well, I'll be outside Tesco when it opens in the morning.

Why, is that a trendy social spot in Bolton? :p

WRT DVD Region Encoding - I find this an abhorrent, anti-consumerist practice, and haven't tolerated it in years. As someone who has moved from the USA to Europe, why should the media companies be able to tell me that I am no longer entitled to watch my legitimately purchased US DVDs in Europe simply because they've strongarmed the hardware manufacturers into doing their protectionist bidding ?

As has already been mentioned, in the USA region free players tend to be hard to spot. In Europe, most DVD players tend to sold unlocked, they just aren't allowed to advertise them as such. Many of these players are also sold in the USA, but they are usually sold locked in the retail stores, but unlocked if you buy them as region free from an online vendor.

If you look at the likes of Best Buy, and check which models they are selling by companies such as Toshiba, Samsung and Philips, it's an easy matter to google up the region free hack codes. Alternatively, the online guys sell pretty decent ones for around $50-$60. We've had no trouble with any of the ones we've bought over the years, usually only buying fresh ones when the drives themselves wear out and break down, or we like a super whizzy new feature that our current one doesn't have. For example, our current Philips DVD player has an HD out, does DVD upscaling, and has a USB socket in the front that makes it dead easy to play all those DivX/XviD versions of Top Gear that we download.

James mentioned on the radio show this morning that as far as he knows Lego will air at the 20th and the Train programme at the 27th.

He explained that the BBC had originally planned to air the programme in January. James then insisted they would show it in the run-up to Christmas, as that would be more appropriate. They did, but had to build in the the pause after four episodes.

I'm just going to wait for my dvd to show up. :)

Mine's here I'm off to watch squee

Hey, everyone.

We had a great day on Saturday running the slot car track at the kids' school Christmas Fair. We managed to pull in ?164 to put towards some new shade for the senior school playground and some new library books.

4165266151_155968e954_b.jpg

If you want to see more pictures, please check out my slot car website... http://www.slotcartimeattack.com.

It isn't out there yet, but we also have a little video. I just need to trim the start and end of it before I post it to the site.

Stuart.

James mentioned on the radio show this morning that as far as he knows Lego will air at the 20th and the Train programme at the 27th.

He explained that the BBC had originally planned to air the programme in January. James then insisted they would show it in the run-up to Christmas, as that would be more appropriate. They did, but had to build in the the pause after four episodes.

I'm just going to wait for my dvd to show up. :)

He confirmed that the 20th & 27th were the original slots, but now one will be shown Christmas day.

Christina the Lego designer just rang me (to see what I thought of her performance in the Lego ep) and she said the BBC just emailed her to say Lego on Xmas day.
Now I won't spoil the 2 remaining eps for you (although I do ruin a bit of the Lego ep;)) but the Hornby one is fantastic because it re-combines James & Oz - they definitely must do more projects together. :nod:

Ah, I've not watched that one yet. I got side-tracked waving test tubes about and generally Doing Science on my fish tanks. I may now be working on screencaps...

Ah, I've not watched that one yet. I got side-tracked waving test tubes about and generally Doing Science on my fish tanks. I may now be working on screencaps...

If you screencap my fat self I will hurt you! :shakefist:

Didn't say I'd post them here. I was going to send them to the builders' private list, though... Also! When you going to upload those photos? I need to rebuild Madrox at some point...

Didn't say I'd post them here. I was going to send them to the builders' private list, though... Also! When you going to upload those photos? I need to rebuild Madrox at some point...

Do you not think those poor people have suffered enough? ;)
(Sorry about pix will go & do the signing ones now and do all the TG live ones later)

Actually I believe you're the first one of us seen, Gabrielle... though you're waaaay in the background and tiny. I've set a screencap as my facebook profile picture.