James May: New Lego & Meccano Engineering Series

However did you figure that one out tone76 eh? I know! Here is a virtual cookie and a just as virtual beer as your reward :D hehe! :p

And as for you HeidiL, I've seen your(photographed and TV camera recorded)self so nerr! You should start running. Or I'll get my way and drag you off into another room we can build lego stuff and put Meccano together...but best of all for me would be building lego and/or Meccano bridges and building for a train set to go through!

Y'see, ages ago I thought if I put up some shelving I'd buy+set up a train set to go all the way around my front room...but now I'll just put up some support shelves and build the rest out of the aforementioned construction toy materials...and that appeals to my inner child muchly.

As it is I'm waiting for my call to go over to my neighbour's now. She's busy cleaning, bless her! I look forward to her finding bits of metal about the place and treading on it XD bwahahahahaha! :D

Regards,

Yickle!

Yickle and Heidi...

:wub:

*backs away slowly*

Just watched the Hornby Train episode..

Made me so sad at the end. Looked almost like James was a bit teary eyes himself there...

But, in all, it was a great effort!

It was ashame it didn't work out completely.. The toys are obviously not made for these kinds of things, but the work people put into these projects have been truly astounding. It's an incredible feat by James and his crew to draw so many people into it.

And now I want to make my own model railway! Damn him.

Damn good show though =)

It was ashame it didn't work out completely.. The toys are obviously not made for these kinds of things, but the work people put into these projects have been truly astounding.

I know. That and the rain, and the cretins who stole the batteries...

Well, it just seemed to go bad from the beginning.

But, they did get to go 7 miles, right? How close was that to the worlds record?

The most poignant part for me, above all else, was when Oz's Ace had burned out...especially because James didn't gloat and that for all of James' tinkering, his Flying Scotsman didn't get around the first bend (which I was glad of, because like Oz, it was the wrong train! Rrrrr!).

But still, all the people who got involved, all the mishaps, the dedication throughout the day and night, the creativity of the buildings that were made, Oz & James On The Trains (sober this time!), Oz's enthusiasm and knowledge, the cycling along the trail, Oz mentioning how he can "smell an old railway 5 miles away" (I know that feeling!)...

Although I was well aware of the jailbait tearaways that had ruined the attempt completely (including putting coins on the tracks and thus cause a short circuit - something that wasn't mentioned in the episode curiously enough), I was not aware of the overall result. I was saddened that the attempt wasn't completely successful, but like the man said, 7 miles for a toy train...well I say hats off to everyone who got involved to make it all work.

And I did like when Oz was checking his injured train how he called one of the "drivers" a fathead :D that man should feel honoured - being called a fathead by Oz Clarke on TV...an honour usually reserved for James (and as we all know, vice-versa).

I say their next adventure should be all about...TRAINS! =D

Regards,

Yickle!

Indeed, it's got me thinking that it's been altogether too long since I saw a steam railway. Last one was when I took my gran to the isle of wight a couple of years back. IIRC that particular one welcomes people who want to spend a week or so helping maintain the track, stations and rolling stock. Sounds more satisfying than sending a toy train round a table.

I had no idea that Oz was so into trains.

I have to say, he and James do make quite a team sometimes. :)

Heidi: This is why I am a member of a heritage railway :) and as such my usual duties are in the run up to Christmas (of which I'll tell you about some other time). I will say it was quite a thrill when I first officially signalled out a train.

A steam train at that :D and then rang the signalman to get his act together, but yes, much fun!

Regards,

Yickle!

Additional: its also why my profile photo is of two local abandoned railway tunnels, the open one I've cycled through (unofficially of course, seeing as its not exactly...er...safe...*ahem*... :D)

Last edited:
Nice show
shame they didn't make it
James looked really sad

But, they did get to go 7 miles, right? How close was that to the worlds record?

Irrelevant - the book-of-the-series says that Matt Boulton, the Guinness adjudicator, called time on the record attempt before the bullet train actually conked out (and before the craft knife appeared) because there'd been too much manual intervention helping it along.

Now that this series has ended...any word on what James might be working on next?

In some of the recent interviews James has hinted at a second Toy Stories series, although I wonder what toys are still left for him. He did mention something about action figures and barbies. Could be an interesting film. ;)

He said at the Toy Fair Q & A he would like to build a Lego battleship. At which point all us Lego builders performed a group *facepalm*!!

Am actually quite depressed that (short of becoming really sad and stalking him) I have no further opportunity to meet up with the delightful Mr May now. I know I'm incredibly lucky to have met him at all but he's like heroin - the more you get, the more you want! ;)