New M car in the garage...

+1, asshat.... ;)

Well done sir you win at cars.

if you don't mind me asking about how much did you spend for the car. It seems that E39 M5 prices have dropped significantly over the last few years making the very affordable even with relatively low miles.

I heard VANOS maintenance on these engines can be quite pricey, and that it was the reason for the low price of some second hand E39 M5.

Finn: you can private message me about the price, I don't like to talk about it here anymore since ppl tend to voice pointless opinions n judgements on the price point.

Ketchup: I don't know more than you do. Some VANOS systems failed early and others have held strong well past 100K. Ask me about it in another 20K miles

+1, asshat.... ;)

1744461.jpg

I love Ferengi references, you sir, are officially cool for being a DS9 fan

Last edited:
One of the features that drew me to this particular car were the split rear folding seats option. I had it in my Legacy and I loved this feature for the extra cargo space

6118215051_cfb2f4d3ae_z.jpg

6118761296_ff5015b3f8_z.jpg

6118220429_f46be48006_z.jpg

Don't all sedans have this feature?

Nope. My Jag had a fuel tank in the way.

My brother used to have a 2006 Commodore VZ sedan as a company car, and I was extremely surprised to find the rear seats didn't fold down. They split fold in a Falcon, and weirdly you never hear any media outlet criticise the Commodore for its lack of folding seats. To put that in perspective, they didn't shut up for months about the FG Falcon not having backlit steering wheel controls (and they still haven't), yet the (IMO far more important) lack of split folding back seats doesn't even warrant a mention in the Commodore.

@HighVoltage I wish, if they are standard in sedans in your country, I might consider moving there! But serious answer, no it's far from standard and often an option in cars that have this feature. My Genesis sedan which was the top model trim didn't have split fold seats, only an armrest pass through. Also my friends and parents Merc S Classes don't have that feature either. Any owners of the 7 series, A8s or other top end sedans can chime in?

Can't say for the Europeans, but my parent's Lexus LS has only a center armrest pass-through. My Infiniti's rear seats fold down as a single piece, but they fold nonetheless.

As for the M5, seriously great purchase. It's clean and respectable, something that can't be said for most secondhand cars.

Last edited:
Yessir, planning to the Euro hella headlights upgrade next month and then replace the old HU with the OEM widescreen, haven't decided if I want to pick up the Mk IV DVD based nav computer or just go with a 'stick on the windshield' aftermarket nav unit which will be cheaper, work better and more modern. My instincts tell me this makes the most sense rather than get outmoded technology just for the sake of full integration. Euro hella tailights? yes I can see the difference but they are low priority for me since even the older 2000 tailights are orange free (thats all I care about) and visually they don't bother me at all.

Current plans:

Keep the M3 as a daily driver (already over 161K miles on the odo) for my daily commute (about 40 miles a day) while reserving the M5 as a weekend/nights out/luxury/fun car which I'm insuring for dirt cheap right now because it's designated as my 2nd car and low mileage. I definitely want to prolong the life of the M5 for as long as possible and once it crosses over 100K and is old enough where resale is insignificant, then drive it daily (maybe in 2-3 years?).

"Stick on the windshield" GPS is always the better option because, not only do you get the latest GPS technology, you can move it from car to car if need be (you can stick it into your M3 for the daily commute, and move it to the M5 for those other occasions). The only advantages of in-dash GPS is that it's more aesthetically pleasing and you can get larger screens.

Not really a motorcycle person, as someone who works in a trauma center, if you saw the messy road traumas in the operating room like I have...you get the idea.

Rear tyres were worn when i bought the car, replacements are now on and mounted.

http://img683.imageshack.**/img683/3289/dsc0113qs.jpg

I'm here to applaud a fellow OTter's proof pics and garage.

Also, how long have you lived in the neighborhood?

I am totally digging this car. Its nice to see an M5 thats not in the typical BMW silver. The car must be a joy to drive too! The only thing that keeps me from buying an E39 M5 (or any other BMW for that matter) are the maintenance costs. What happened to your Genesis anyways?