Unveiled: New Opel Meriva: First Official Photos

Why is that guy's face not someone's avatar?

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/01/05/Opel_Meriva_MY2010_03.jpg

If I was in the market for an MPV (oh dear God no) I would get a Flex as it seems to be the best looking of the bunch and looks to have a nice interior.

Why is that guy's face not someone's avatar?

If I was in the market for an MPV (oh dear God no) I would get a Flex as it seems to be the best looking of the bunch and looks to have a nice interior.

So you compare Opel Meriva and this
2009-ford-flex-exterior.jpg

- in a same sentence?

Let me try too!

Yeah, the Meriva is kinda cool but I'd rather have this.
0,,7116010,00.jpg

They are both MPVs, same function ones just bigger.

But I agree the ocean liner would be the best option.

Well Germany doesnt need big 4x4 Vans with V8's, the Meriva is enough for our city, compact but still roomy.

BTW, that Ford up there looks like an failed Project of Land Rover

[...]the Meriva is enough for our city, compact but still roomy.
And so far, it?s been boring enough to attract nobody under 50 to buy it ...

The new one ... don?t know. Putting suicide doors on a car like this looks like a pretty desperate move getting some of those Fiat 500 buying customers back. It?s a wasted feature. On a big car it would be awsome ... on a meriva ... it?s just pointless.

The Flex is not as big as some of you seem to think. I've seen one as grey import last week and it's definitely one of the of the larger you can come across in Europe, but it doesn't look out of place like an F150 or a Crown Victoria. It's probably just a little bit bigger than a Mondeo Estate. And despite the fact that the design looks like a weird mix of a Mini and a Range Rover, I'd say it looks fairly good IRL.

The Flex is not as big as some of you seem to think. I've seen one as grey import last week and it's definitely one of the of the larger you can come across in Europe, but it doesn't look out of place like an F150 or a Crown Victoria. It's probably just a little bit bigger than a Mondeo Estate. And despite the fact that the design looks like a weird mix of a Mini and a Range Rover, I'd say it looks fairly good IRL.

I assure you it is quite large. A full foot longer than a Mondeo Estate, in fact, and significantly wider at that. It's a massive car. It would also be significantly more expensive than the Meriva I'm guessing.

And so far, it?s been boring enough to attract nobody under 50 to buy it ...

The new one ... don?t know. Putting suicide doors on a car like this looks like a pretty desperate move getting some of those Fiat 500 buying customers back. It?s a wasted feature. On a big car it would be awsome ... on a meriva ... it?s just pointless.

Suicide doors would be an epic win for a parent standing on a curb lifting a child into a child seat and then doing up the child seat's five-point restraint. Trust me. You completely avoid the lift-and-twist and bend-and-twist.

I'm actually shocked that more family vehicles don't have suicide doors.

The suicide doors are neat, but the thing looks like someone got a bit carried away with the crayons. 'The Sneeze', indeed.

Having said that, if Holden were to import them into Australia and price them to compete with the Honda Jazz, they'd probably get quite a few takers - some people will buy ANYTHING with a Holden badge on it.

Last edited:
:blink:
We'll blame it on cultural differences..... to find the Flex better looking than the Meriva is wayyyyy beyond me. It looks to me it's been designed with an axe, I not only don't find it the "best looking of the bunch" but monstruously ugly.

I'm going to change my will and insist on that day on not hiring an undertaker that owns one of them things, I can not been seen in it, even dead.

Last edited:
I don't care what you say, that huge Flex ocean liner thing is not an MPV and the design makes a 1982 Volvo feel round and curvy.

Have people forgotten that flaw with scuicide doors... the one that game them their name?

The fact is that if you open a normal door without looking and a car hits it, the door gets ripped off, oh noez!
You forget to look while opening a scuicide door and the car hits it and slams it shut into you, epic oh noez!

A stupid idea that died for a reason.<_<

Automatic locks when in motion ;)

Have people forgotten that flaw with scuicide doors... the one that game them their name?

The fact is that if you open a normal door without looking and a car hits it, the door gets ripped off, oh noez!
You forget to look while opening a scuicide door and the car hits it and slams it shut into you, epic oh noez!

So aiding in Darwinism is stupid?

meriva_tdb_illus_g_image_photo_leader.jpg

http://img686.imageshack.**/img686/7291/38732196.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.**/img694/6007/21621627.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.**/img200/5987/63096011.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.**/img694/7831/10066552.jpg

Looks so much better than the previous model.

The idea isn't dead. Suicide doors still exist on five cars that I know of off the top of my head besides the Meriva:

(1) Toyota FJ Cruiser
(2) Honda Element
(3) Mazda RX-8
(4) Rolls Royce Phantom (sedan and coupe)
(5) Rolls Royce Ghost

How is that an issue? How often are doors hit like that anyway?

Perhaps you should be in Brussels ...