New ride...

great great car!

buy some oil.. ;) :D

^^ And get some apex seals while you're at it.

Seen an A-Stock RX-8 on R-Comps OWN at autocross. Very fun cars to drive. Enjoy it, and don't crash it!

i love this car.. but for those who have owned one/own it, what sort of problems have you encountered if any??

Engine issues. Thankfully Mazda is pretty good about it, but that was the biggie.

Oh, and when it gets cold out, the engine bay made the most annoying noise I've ever heard.

whats apex seals??

cheers guys for the other inputs... oil changes every 3kmi!! oh boy

you'll sip 1 liter every 1000 km.. you'll see.. ;) :D
but never mind that, car really pays it off.. :)

whats apex seals??

cheers guys for the other inputs... oil changes every 3kmi!! oh boy

People swear that you need to change or top off your oil every 1,000 miles. I checked it every 1,000 like clock work and never had to. I changed it like any regular car and never had any issues.

I've had to top off the oil a couple of times, but it's no worse than my old car that had a very slow leak.

The engine has an extended 8 year/100,000 mile warranty too.

Oh, and when it gets cold out, the engine bay made the most annoying noise I've ever heard.

So true. It's rather bizarre. Sounds like the engine is full of sand or something.

I took my car to the dealership a few times just to see if a different tech or something would fix it, but they all told me it was a design issue that makes the brackets make that squeaking noise in cold weather, and its normal operation for the car. Still annoying as fuck when every car on your block hears your high pitch noise.

Hmmmm, we must be discussing different sounds then. Mine doesn't do anything that would be noticeable from outside the car, but the engine makes a sort of dull 'woosh' noise at low RPMs when cold. It's really hard to describe.

That sounds similar to mine, as it went away once I revved the engine, put it in neutral or accelerated. We're probably describing the same sound, just not putting it into words very well, as its such an odd sound.

Better as a pure sports car, yes, but the RX-8 is much more practical, with four doors, back seats and lots of 'luxury' options.

oh how i love this car :drool:

even though the new facelift (well, only the new bumper actually) of the RX-8 R3 is my favourite one.

i havent had any problems with cold starts yet.. maybe its not cold enough yet here in socal...

i do get a wierd sound when the clutch is disengaged.. mazda tech said it was a tranny bearing thats loose but its not too big a deal.

what engine oil did owners of this car use?? (thevictor, whappeh?)

5w20, as it says in the manual.

EDIT: :idiot: you probably meant which brand

In which case, I have no knowledge of such things but I think I am currently using Castrol GTX.

Last edited:
As far as I know, never use synthetics. I don't know if that is one of those "rotary urban legends" or not, but I've talked to tons of people that said don't do it as it hastens the apex seals failure.

Congrats. Welcome to the spinner club :)