New Skyline GTR, a failure in the makeing?

kaBOOMn

O.K I've tried to write this as much as possible without too much bias as you know I'm normally not afraid of putting the boot in, and a comback saying "Your still upset about the ATCC" is lame O.K? :wacko:

The problem is this awesome reputation that the Nissan Skyline GTR has been made into in the electronic media be it by computer games, movies and magazines. Worse still are those from country's that have never had access to these cars (mainly Americans) who have just built this thing up into a huge....well.....Godzilla (you know CAMS should get some kickbacks from Nissan for inventing that term!)

Instantly teenages from around the world will tell you all they know about this car as soon as its mentioned. Some cannot understand on websites when people say something vaugely negative about the Skyline and get quite upset......well really upset.

Two local journelists here both printed articles bagging the older GTR (Mostly the R32) saying how bad they really are. One of the journo's actually owned one, and went about fixing it makeing his own custom G sensors to control the 4WD system since the factory system in his own opinion was terrible. He said it was barely enough to out corner a old Suburu Legacy, and yes he went through tyres etc etc. The other Journo was a bit upset about the amount of lag, and again the poor cornering ability compared to a new RX8......you can probably guess the response...

The other one is the "getting banned because it was too good" in the ATCC Do youself a favor, look what happened (get the race reports) understand WHY it happened. Its a bit of a "oh" when you do.....Don't get me wrong, the GTR provided the shakeup CAMS needed and I wish it could have been kept running but other factors that where not in control of CAMS or anybody else where always going to kill it off.

Its a big worry through no fault of their own that Nissan are being backed into a corner, by all this hype and when the new GTR comes out its going to be a a massive disapointment to a lot of people.

Now I really really hope it isn't for their sake but the amount of project delays and the development team saying they want to get it "spot on" are a worry. Meanwhile crash protection, emissions and marketing factors are eating away at it. I think the big one is weight, with a "light" car like the EVO comeing in around 1432kg (I know somebody who just got his EVO 9 cornerweighted) and that runs a basic 2L motor......it would not supprise me that the car will weigh around 1600 to 1700kg.....so chuckable it isn't going to be.

Now I hope even if it is that weighty they invent some cool whiz bang new feature which "fixes" it, its part of the charm of Japanese cars but I think this is even beyond them :( Some people have had a whine of dropping the trusty inline 6 RB engine, but admit it guys the RB was a overweight monster and a inline 6 isn't the best for crash protection, countertorque or weight balance. Yes I love the RB to bits but you have to face facts.....

I'm not against the new Skyline, I'm just really worried about it......I think sadly its another NSX type failure.....I think tho the new GTR won't be a match for the 911 turbo more like a enhanced Alfa Romeo Brera (like the Autodelta one!)

*waits for flyingfridge to see this thread...*

Firstly, it's not going to be a Skyline. It's just going to be the GT-R. The older models were called Skyline because they were based off the Skyline model. The new GT-R is a standalone sports car.

I love the old Skylines, especially Godzilla, they're the bomb.

I haven't read much on this new one but believe that Nissan can and will live up to the hype that has been created about this new model...

FWIW It was the media that christened the car Godzilla, not CAMS.

watto said:
I love the old Skylines, especially Godzilla, they're the bomb.

I haven't read much on this new one but believe that Nissan can and will live up to the hype that has been created about this new model...

Likewise - I'm positive Nissan will do the right thing with the GT-R.

The R32 GT-R still gives me wet dreams :blush:

See you guys are already taken in by the hype...... :roll: .......as fellow car junkies I hope you can see beyond this.....

Anyway ease off on me, I had to write Skyline there to get people to look at the thread!!!!!

"Godzilla" was first mentioned in the race reports after the Wanneroo round of the ATCC in 1991 :) The media got hold of it, and you know what happens! I've been a bit fascinated by them since as a small boy watching one roll in front of me (I was 9 at the time) :)

I'll have to dig the old Mags out and scan them for you......

I'm still really worried, I hope it will be O.K

Ah I found a re-write of the old 1996 article....sounds so simple after he re-wrote it....lol

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/A_0060/cms/article.html

kaBOOMn said:
"Godzilla" was first mentioned in the race reports after the Wanneroo round of the ATCC in 1991 :) The media got hold of it, and you know what happens!

Really? 1991 you say? Interesting, since I hold in my hand Wheels July 1989, R32 GT-R on the cover with the headline "Nissan's new Godzilla on wheels aims to slay the Sierra"

Wheels christened the car Godzilla, and the name stuck.

kaBOOMn said:
I've been a bit fascinated by them since as a small boy watching one roll in front of me (I was 9 at the time) :)

Mark Skaife, Adelaide F1 GP support race?

kaBOOMn said:
Ah I found a re-write of the old 1996 article....sounds so simple after he re-wrote it....lol

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/A_0060/cms/article.html

And just who the hell is 'Julian Edgar'? I'll take the opinions of established, respected motoring journos from around the world over this Julian guy any day thanks.

kaBOOMn said:
......I think sadly its another NSX type failure.....
In what way do you interpret the NSX to be a failure? The fact that not many people were prepared to pay what Honda thought it was worth or is it something else?

TBH I'm kinda struggling to see what point you are trying to make.

kaBOOMn said:
??

What? What will be ok?? I'm sorry if it's just me not getting it :?

kaBOOMn said:
See you guys are already taken in by the hype...... :roll: .......as fellow car junkies I hope you can see beyond this.....

HA! you make me laugh.

Mate, there's a difference between being a sucker for press releases and being someone who believes the car is going to be good...

And I honestly don't follow your NSX analogy.

fbc said:
kaBOOMn said:
"Godzilla" was first mentioned in the race reports after the Wanneroo round of the ATCC in 1991 :) The media got hold of it, and you know what happens!

Really? 1991 you say? Interesting, since I hold in my hand Wheels July 1989, R32 GT-R on the cover with the headline "Nissan's new Godzilla on wheels aims to slay the Sierra"

Wheels christened the car Godzilla, and the name stuck.

pwnage. The image of the R32 sliding into the barrier/crashed cars on that rain soaked Bathurst track is still as fresh in my mind as the day it was broadcast. That race is Australian motoring folklore.

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
kaBOOMn said:
In what way do you interpret the NSX to be a failure? The fact that not many people were prepared to pay what Honda thought it was worth or is it something else?

kaBOOMn said:
??

I guess he is trying to say that he hopes that it will do well and not turn into a failure and sell like 10 cars... and the NSX was a technical success, but sales wise, not so good I guess... I think thats what he's trying to say as well.

andyhui01 said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
kaBOOMn said:

kaBOOMn said:
??

I guess he is trying to say that he hopes that it will do well and not turn into a failure and sell like 10 cars... and the NSX was a technical success, but sales wise, not so good I guess... I think thats what he's trying to say as well.

Bingo :)

Its not that its not going to be good, its the expectation of a lot of people its going to be "GOD" It will be a very good car thats a given.

Anyway I knew as soon as I dared to say anything bad about a GTR, I'd get my head bitten off! :roll: If I said exactly the same thing about the Alfa Romeo Brera before it was released (still thats not a failure....) would have I generated the same negative reaction?

Julian Edgar used to be the editor in Zoom, and does a lot of road wrietin for various Magazines....I've seen his work in a few other places too....

As for the Godzillia comment, well I've never seen that one :) Anyway I'm after new info always, can you scan a copy of the cover? Its not that I don't belive you its just I'd like some more stuff for my scrap book :) If thats true then its a :oops: on my behalf.....

Yes it was Mark Skaif.....Sigh I didn't see the actual roll over (I was small you see :p) I just saw a flash of spoiler then I heard a bang....I was lifted up to see a car on its roof......

I don't care much as long as I can get my hands on a KGPC-110 GT-R someday.

Though I don't think it'll be a failure. With as many fanboys of the Skyline, they'll jump on it as soon as it comes out. The dealers could take a fresh pile of dog bowl movements, badge it "GT-R" and the fanboys will still buy it. (Can we get a GT-R version of :bmwpoo:

My only concern are the ricers...

I knew I had a copy as well. After a bit of a mission, it popped up...

http://img471.imageshack.**/img471/862/pa020002hi0.jpg

^^ And of course I can't help but flick through the mag now - mmm E34 M5...

Mmmmm, TP Magna SE!

Magnet said:
I knew I had a copy as well. After a bit of a mission, it popped up...

http://img471.imageshack.**/img471/862/pa020002hi0.jpg

You my friend are a bloody Legend :thumbsup:

You do know now I'm going to have to replace that dodgy red cartridge in my printer?

And it's a pretty dodgy red pre-photoshop job they did converting it from grey too! :lol:

I think that it will go down like the movie Godzilla the over hype will damage the reviews and what do you want to bet some reviewer will say "its a more powerful z". Might be a good car, might be a great car, but is it a car that can live up to the hype.

Momentum57 said:
I think that it will go down like the movie Godzilla the over hype will damage the reviews and what do you want to bet some reviewer will say "its a more powerful z". Might be a good car, might be a great car, but is it a car that can live up to the hype.

Exactly, now you can see why I'm so worried..... :eek:

....plus with some reviews not likeing the Z (and not just clarkson), I really am worried that Nissan may drop the ball.....but anyway I look forward to when its all fine and you guys can rub my face in it because I was wrong....I hope I am!

My only exposure to GTRs was thru a friend of mine who owned an R34 VspecII. He got bored of it and bought a Ducati. Ultimately, it's just a nissan. I think the new GTR will be good, but with it's increased price and all the little obstacles in it's way, I dunno how good.

Re: New Skyline GTR, a failure in the makeing?

kaBOOMn said:
the amount of project delays and the development team saying they want to get it "spot on" are a worry.

That's the greatest reason in the world to NOT worry.