New Skyline GTR, a failure in the makeing?

I see it ;).

I suspect the GT-R will be edging into Z06 territory pricewise, but Nissan had better give the engine some serious poke (as in, at least 450 HP) to compete with it.

BerserkerCatSplat said:
I suspect the GT-R will be edging into Z06 territory pricewise, but Nissan had better give the engine some serious poke (as in, at least 450 HP) to compete with it.

Bingo. Which means all the Skyline fans better start to save their money since it isn't even in their price range. From the start it was going to go after the C6 crowd.

Want a Skyline? Buy a G35, still bloody expensive though.

YF19pilot said:
teletubby-warrior said:
NAIDANAC A said:
Id buy a vette, or sagaris.
Is that everyone's new default answer?

considering most people still say "lol, leaf springs" and "I'd much like to live, thank you", I don't think so.

But I would probably prefer a vette or sagaris, if it wasn't for my true love returning in '09

I think there's an auto-ban on the word leaf-springs in the same sentence as corvette :lol:... better watch out :p

Mischief007 said:
BerserkerCatSplat said:

Bingo. Which means all the Skyline fans better start to save their money since it isn't even in their price range. From the start it was going to go after the C6 crowd.

Want a Skyline? Buy a G35, still bloody expensive though.

G35 is a nice car, the sedans used are cheap, but you can't find a decently priced Coupe :(

Obviously Nissan is pricing the GTR to ignite countless "ZO6 vs. GTR" fanboy battles

We already have Corvette against Europe. Now it will be Corvette against the rest of the world :p.

I guess I'm going to stand behind the C6 then ;).

GTR has really cool looks. The carbon nose piece (is that how you spell it) looks really nice.

corners worse than legacy? sure doesn't show in it's nurburgring laptimes.

Magnet said:
And it's a pretty dodgy red pre-photoshop job they did converting it from grey too! :lol:

mmm, '89 is not pre photoshop - 1.0 came out early '90, but 0.87 was available. --->

icon.jpg

though ImagePro (the origin of PS) was actually what most people had.

more than likely, the magazine used *gasp* a real airbrush *gasp* to change the car color, rather than the airbrush tool in Photoshop.... :mrgreen:

***EDIT

this was all Macintosh only, of course, as it took until v. 2.5 to get a windows version...

crookie said:

Nurburgring is a useless comparison, plus he's talking about a stock, Nissan Australia factory delivered R32 GT-R, not one which Nissan took to Germany, probably threw a few "good bits at it" and ran it around....

......not all cars (of the same type) are created equal.......

This is an interesting point of view. And after seeing quite a few heavily modded ones (I lived near several american bases for japanese tuning shops), and having a few friends that would cream their pants at the mere thought of a GT-R I have to say...

America will be disappointed. If Nissan decides to avoid a turbo motor, all the import kiddies and magazines will all run around saying "it's all about the OG R32's." As is I always here the guys that claim to know more about cars instantly jump on the R32 just because it's a lighter car.

I can see the review magazines either loving it, or tearing this car a new asshole. Depends on how much of the hype they bought into. Then of course you got the mags that give reviews based on how well the company sponsors them (car and driver, motortrend...)

Just to point out how bad the hype is for some of you guys...
A friend of mine was riding shotgun with another friend in his midly modified shelby dodge CSX (probably ran a low 14 on an impossibly good day). They happen to cruise by Apexi when they were unloading some of the D1 cars, one of which was a GTR. The GTR took a spin around the block, and my friend raced it.
My friend driving thought 'meh I raced and got my ass beat by a shop built GT-R with dealer plates..." My other friend would not shut the fuck about it for days. I don't doubt he's got that moment filed in his memory right above where he'll put "first lay" and "birth of children".

A Skyline/GT-R is just a god damned car people! Yes it's a fast car, yes it's full of a technology, but it's still just a fucking nissan (and IMO an overpriced used car when found in the US).

Don't even get me started on the kids who will stalk someone driving a skyline (regardless of trim) and go ape shit just looking at it. I should post some of the stories from the guy who owns the Ultimate Sports Car Challenge winner from last year...

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the FD given the nickname "Godzilla Killer" due to it's ability to outpace an R32?

and a bit OT: When did a 2800lb car become "light weight"? I'm not attacking Kaboomn but seriously, anymore I hear people say "oh the s2000 kicks but because it's light weight" it's an over weight pig. A miata/mx-5 are both fucking overweight after the 1st gen. And even the 1st gen is pushing the limits of being called lightweight.

edit: With all that being said, I would love to atleast go for a rid in one, but in no way would I buy one sight unseen/not driven one. Though I think if I had the chance at an R33 GT-R I'd probably grab it regardless, I love the look of them for some reason... but honestly I'd rather have an FD instead.

===================
BTW, could someone explain the who ATCC/CAMS thing I have no idea what you guys were talking about with it, and a search on google for me brought up nothing of relavence.
====================

Australian Touring Car Championship and Confederation of Australian Motor Sport. The R32 raced in the ATCC....it got banned cos it was too good...that's about it.

kaBOOMn said:
crookie said:

Nurburgring is a useless comparison, plus he's talking about a stock, Nissan Australia factory delivered R32 GT-R, not one which Nissan took to Germany, probably threw a few "good bits at it" and ran it around....

......not all cars (of the same type) are created equal.......

Yah, okay, I still say I'll take the opinions of experienced motoring journalists over this mystery guy who I've never heard of in almost 20 years of reading motoring publications. Credibility? Nil.

to kaBOOMn,

you've obviously never driven one have you.

flyingfridge said:
to kaBOOMn,

you've obviously never driven one have you.

Thing is, there's this one "journo" you see, who's written for two-bit publications and totally lacks any credibility, he seems to think the R32 GT-R doesn't handle very well. So it seems all those other respected, established, credible journos and publications got it wrong - jeez lucky we have Julian Edgar to set us straight.

i find people who take everything one or two half-wit journos say for granted funny. true, I've had times where i tend to jump on one bandwagon or another based on the horseshit that some journalists have the ability to churn out. hell it's the only way i'll ever find out how most of these cars are like to drive.

anyway, i've always been a massive fan of the GT-R ever since the bathurst days (what a pre-Gran Turismo GT-R fan you say? Impossible!) sure, I was 7 at the time, but my old man worked in car dealerships and i knew my cars backwards. I liked Godzilla a lot at the time so it's only natural that i've grown up idolising the things.

Fortunately a couple of months ago I did get the opportunity to drive one for the first time. Lets just say I was blown away. It's easily the fastest car i've ever driven, probably not quite as nimble as my Subaru, but it does carry an extra 200kg or so of extra heft.

kaBOOMn, you can't question the history of the GT-R, it's one of the world's great sports cars, there's no doubt about that, especially once you mod the computer and get rid of all the factory imposed limitations on the engine. If there's any question about the new GT-R it's whether or not it'll stand up to the history of the lineage. There's little doubt that it will. The voluntarily mandated Japanese power limit has been thrown to the breeze and Nissan have gone on record stating that their performance target this time around is the Porsche 911 Turbo which moves the GT-R up a notch in the sports car world. Make no mistake, the giant killer Godzilla is about to go about its business giant killing all over again.

A Skyline/GT-R is just a god damned car people! Yes it's a fast car, yes it's full of a technology, but it's still just a fucking nissan (and IMO an overpriced used car when found in the US).
I hate it when people criticize badges like that. Whether or not it's built by Nissan or Porsche shouldn't matter, because every company is capable of building at least one stunning sports car that's completely different than its mainstream cars (Chevy Corvette, Ford GT, Dodge Viper, Honda NSX, Mitsubishi EVO, etc).

And it's only overpriced in America because it was never imported there.

I wish they would have no interest in making money in this project,
make it as fast, as brutal and as good as possible. With no regard to emission regulations etc. In the spirit of the Veyron, "look what we can do!"

But offcourse that isn't going to happen