New Skyline GTR, a failure in the makeing?

Firstly, it's not going to be a Skyline. It's just going to be the GT-R. The older models were called Skyline because they were based off the Skyline model. The new GT-R is a standalone sports car.

Screw the names mmkay? Almost everybody is going to call it a skyline anyway.

And if you gave me 50 grand GBP I'd spend it on an M3.

Last edited:
the coupe and the sedan are the same thing. just one has a few extra doors

So the Skyline is therefore a shitty car because YOU'VE never experienced one, the interior is ugly, and it shares its chassis with some other cars whose interiors are also ugly?

...right. Duly noted. Boy, aren't we clutching at straws here?

you missed the point, what I'm trying to say is that the GT-R is like a totally uncharismatic dork, vaguely annoying, and rather ugly besides being a good dresser, who happens to have a big penis. The point being you still wouldn't want to hang out with him, big penis or not.

I think the biggest problem with the GT-R is that its really only impressive on a technical level. If you look at it as a piece of art it makes the 911 Turbo look like the most beautiful car in the world.

I think the real test of a car is being able to leave a life changing impression, despite whether its technically shitty or not. On this test alone i think the GT-R would probably score about as low as a Hyundia Elantra. The fact that i still have never heard a skyline that even sounds remotely good is scary enough, but by no means is it as horrifying as the interior. And i don't expect it to be much better at all this time around, because the cars the GT-R is related to (what is it, the G37 or something?) Are still desperately bad on the inside, the 350z is marginal. I need to feel welcomed when i sit in a car, not like I'm trapped in a hellhole. And to be honest if i had to own a skyline or anything similar to it i would probably rip out the interior, because theirs no point in that much extra weight if its going to be ugly. I understand style can be subjective, but i think a complete lack of style is a entirely different issue.

Dude...the skyline and the 911 are pretty much on the same level. The 911 hasn't changed its looks ever since it came out. It IS the definition of beauty through engineering. You speak of the skyine's "complete lack of style" but yet talks about how aesthetically pleasing the 911 is......lol

you missed the point, what I'm trying to say is that the GT-R is like a totally uncharismatic dork, vaguely annoying, and rather ugly besides being a good dresser, who happens to have a big penis. The point being you still wouldn't want to hang out with him, big penis or not.

Your numerous cryptic metaphor fails to convey any point at all.

The only thing that your argument is based on seems to be that you hate how it looks and how its interior sucks and therefore even if it is a technological marvel it still sucks as a car. Apply that same formula to a 911 and the results will come out the same.

Dude...the skyline and the 911 are pretty much on the same level. The 911 hasn't changed its looks ever since it came out. It IS the definition of beauty through engineering. You speak of the skyine's "complete lack of style" but yet talks about how aesthetically pleasing the 911 is......lol

Your numerous cryptic metaphor fails to convey any point at all.

The only thing that your argument is based on seems to be that you hate how it looks and how its interior sucks and therefore even if it is a technological marvel it still sucks as a car. Apply that same formula to a 911 and the results will come out the same.

First of all feel free to search my name and the word Porsche. As much as it would be fitting for me to lust after them since most of my Family came from Stuttgart (and has a 600 year history there) I just am rather on the fence about them.

Its not one thing in particular that i don't like about the Skyline. I mean in a stripped out race version i'm sure that this GTR, as well as all the other GT-Rs would be a hoot. My problem is that everything that makes cars fun besides just the speed is completely lacking in the GT-R. And that isn't the case with the Posrche! The Porsche actually can be comfortable on a long journey, as well its a Ergonomic wonder. And even if its not styled that much, the stuff that is styled is done in good taste. Furthermore atleast with the 911 the redundant exterior styling signifies something; a German car with its engine in the back. Where the skyline is just kind of a car with that goes fast. See my problem is that if you forget the performance of the skyline there simply isn't anything to say about the Skyline, thus my dorky idiot with a big penis bit. It doesn't make a good sound, and never has dispite watching craploads of Best Motoring waiting for it. The goofy spoilers and fender bulges are funky, but its not like the car its based on was anything aesthetically special in the first place (aka the car is nothing without its styling touches) and many times i have heard that the car may handle well, but its still very boring to drive. So really whats the point of being the best at something if your not going to at least be somewhat interesting. And because the skyline is like that it makes all of us as car people look dumb as hell to anybody not bothered by performance.

Last edited:
First of all feel free to search my name and the word Porsche. As much as it would be fitting for me to lust after them since most of my Family came from Stuttgart (and has a 600 year history there) I just am rather on the fence about them.

Its not one thing in particular that i don't like about the Skyline. I mean in a stripped out race version i'm sure that this GTR, as well as all the other GT-Rs would be a hoot. My problem is that everything that makes cars fun besides just the speed is completely lacking in the GT-R. And that isn't the case with the Posrche! The Porsche actually can be comfortable on a long journey, as well its a Ergonomic wonder. And even if its not styled that much, the stuff that is styled is done in good taste. Furthermore atleast with the 911 the redundant exterior styling signifies something; a German car with its engine in the back. Where the skyline is just kind of a car with that goes fast. See my problem is that if you forget the performance of the skyline there simply isn't anything to say about the Skyline, thus my dorky idiot with a big penis bit. It doesn't make a good sound, and never has dispite watching craploads of Best Motoring waiting for it. The goofy spoilers and fender bulges are funky, but its not like the car its based on was anything aesthetically special in the first place (aka the car is nothing without its styling touches) and many times i have heard that the car may handle well, but its still very boring to drive. So really whats the point of being the best at something if your not going to at least be somewhat interesting. And because the skyline is like that it makes all of us as car people look dumb as hell to anybody not bothered by performance.

Well said. And I mean that. See how automotive discussion can be above random insults/metaphors:

To be honest with you, I absolutely HATE how the new Skyline looks. I much preferred the blocky R34. But debating style/looks are pointless, as beauty is quite subjective.

However, you do bring up a good point though:

"if you forget the performance of the skyline there simply isn't anything to say about the Skyline,"

As we said, beauty is subjective. However if we forget the performance of a car then there is simply very little TO say about any car. The main purpose of a car is to get from point A to point B in a relatively speedy manner...some do that better than others. What's interesting is that sports cars and thus "performance cars" derive their distinction and honor from being focussed solely and purely on the speediness (which includes acceleration, handling, etc. etc.)

So if you take away the performance of a sports car then there ain't much left.

But, you say what about styling? What about interior?

Yes. If we disregard the performance of the C6 Z06 and the F40....which is a "better" car?

Some might say the F40 because it is red and it's a Ferrari. But how did Ferrari earn its international recognition? By being a top performer. By being, first and foremost, a speedy car rather than a comfortable or even good-looking car.

If you take out the performance of a C6 Z06, I would think it a cruddy car. I really don't like the exposed/fixed headlamps and the interior is.....well....American :p It is sleek looking but without its go-factor, it doesn't amount to much.

I think the root of many people's distaste towards the Skyline is its little-known racing history/influence. Sure we all can go to wikipedia and see that the R32 won so and so races and so on and so forth but somehow it hasn't been THAT internationally influential. Alot of pseudo-enthusiasts will call the Skyline a Jap/Ricer fanboy supercar, which is quite unfortunate.

So I will say this again...the Ferrari F40 was solely created for performance but it is held in high regard with respect to automotive history. Therefore my opinion is that sports cars, and thus performance cars, should mainly derive their satisfaction/respect from their performance, first and foremost, and not any amorphous "feelings" that anyone would have towards the car.

all JGTC cars are also 2 wheel drive.
The WRX that runs in GT300 has been AWD since the middle of last season. Since the team isn't big enough to get the car competitive when it was RWD, but for 2006 they had a new chassis and stuff that was a lot stronger and lighter so they took the weight penalty handed out to AWD GT cars since it didn't affect them as badly as it would have with the previous chassis. When the new GT-R comes into GT500 I imagine for the start of the 2009 season, perhaps late 2008, it probably will stay RWD however and not follow the Cusco Subaru team into trying an AWD car as they'll want the transition from Z to GT-R to be as smooth as possible without any giant differences, similar to what Toyota did changing from Supra to SC430.

The R34 (and to some extent) the R33 are cars that I would consider to be dream cars for me.

There is performance in the Skyline - we all know that, and it's beyond debate. I also adore the R34/R33 looks.

Anyway, a slight bit of comparison - at the ring, the new GTR easily outpaced the 911 Turbo, and according to pundits at the track, it's currently gunning for the Carrera GT time.

If that manages to happen - whoa. Serious supercars will be in a heap of trouble.

Anyway, IMHO, the new GTR doesn't look as good as the previous ones, at least from the front. But it will still be an awesome car, and everyone here knows it.

Anyway, a slight bit of comparison - at the ring, the new GTR easily outpaced the 911 Turbo, and according to pundits at the track, it's currently gunning for the Carrera GT time.

The same happened last time around with the r34 and other supercars at the time, so you'd of thought it would of been a run away success....

Nothing really official it seems, I think I will wait till a production car goes around the track and not a test mule. We don't know enough about this car to know if it is really a production model and which model at that (the top of the range EVO Spec?).

Hey weren't people claiming this car was going to do 7:15?? :p