New Skyline GTR, a failure in the makeing?

I wouldn't put too much cred in Nissan's Ring times. Remember the R33 did 8min1secs or something. Those in the know claimed that car was far from stock.

The WRX that runs in GT300 has been AWD since the middle of last season. Since the team isn't big enough to get the car competitive when it was RWD, but for 2006 they had a new chassis and stuff that was a lot stronger and lighter so they took the weight penalty handed out to AWD GT cars since it didn't affect them as badly as it would have with the previous chassis. When the new GT-R comes into GT500 I imagine for the start of the 2009 season, perhaps late 2008, it probably will stay RWD however and not follow the Cusco Subaru team into trying an AWD car as they'll want the transition from Z to GT-R to be as smooth as possible without any giant differences, similar to what Toyota did changing from Supra to SC430.
Admittedly I don't follow the series at all, but I could swear that AWD was outlawed and that the Cusco scooby was RWD:?

Not outlawed, there's just a heavy weight penalty handed out to AWD cars. The Cusco Impreza had always been RWD like every other car but changed to AWD around round 5 or 6 last year. But no other car will go AWD since in GT500 no one can afford the extra weight, and there are no other cars in GT300 that are AWD stock except for the Lamborghinis which are all done to FIA regulations in Europe therefore don't have an AWD system for racing. As far as I understand, the rules say you can have an AWD car converted to RWD, or have an AWD car stay AWD but it gets a big weight penalty. And with cars with this much downforce (more than any other GT or touring car series), the benefits of AWD aren't really needed anyways.

Admittedly I don't follow the series at all, but I could swear that AWD was outlawed and that the Cusco scooby was RWD:?

D1 outlaws any cars with AWD capabilities, unless thier converted to RWD. Wrong race venue.

The old GT-R's were fun cars; I've driven a couple of 'em in various stages of tune, and they can be a blast. I would hardly have considered them worthy of the hype surrounding them, however - I think that reputation is generated solely based on the fact they never made it to the US...and its got that mythical aura surrounding it.

The new GTR Nissan is coming out with promises to be a good car, but I fail to see how/why people are comparing it to the old Skyline GT-R. Its a successor in name only, and needs to be treated as such.

Never liked the Skyline, and I don't like the new GT-R. Nissan design has truely been rather hideous as of late, and this GT-R proves it. I would like nothing better than to see the car fall flat on it's face when it comes out, but that's just me.

I'd rather have a Subaru WRX STi.

The new GTR Nissan is coming out with promises to be a good car, but I fail to see how/why people are comparing it to the old Skyline GT-R. Its a successor in name only, and needs to be treated as such.

Because the fanboys consider it a holy grail of sorts. Also, Nissan screwed the pooch with their past offerings, and damn well their gonna try and make it happen.

I don't care what the new GTR is supposed to compete with. If it's supposed to compete with the 911, I'd rather have the 911. If it's going to compete with the Corvette, I'd rather have a Corvette.

Nissan makes absolutely nothing that makes me go 'yeah that's cool, I'd drive it' with the exception of the Titan, but that's because I want to see how powerful their 5.6l V8 is.

Infinity has better offerings than Nissan, and they're pretty much the same cars. I'd rather have a G-series sedan over a GTR. Hell I'd take a pedal car over a GTR...

I'm not against the new Skyline, I'm just really worried about it......I think sadly its another NSX type failure.....I think tho the new GTR won't be a match for the 911 turbo more like a enhanced Alfa Romeo Brera (like the Autodelta one!)

no offense, but your thinking way too hard about this, i dont think i even obsess this much about any particular car anymore.

Because Nissan have been testing it alongside a 911...
And GM was testing the Corvette alongside a 599 ... :p . My point is it's irrelevant what they test it next to. As far as I'm concerned the Japanese are just doing what they've done so well in the past; marketing. I'm not saying it won't be a great car, I just don't really care. As for the hype surrounding the car; if Nissan is worried about the distorted opinions of a bunch of fanboys when they should be focusing on potential buyers, then they've got bigger problems. The only people this car will be a "failure" to are those who've already got it in their heads that the GTR will be the end-all, be-all sports car.

a better question might be, how long until the badges are glued crooked on other cars?

Never liked the Skyline, and I don't like the new GT-R. Nissan design has truely been rather hideous as of late, and this GT-R proves it.

I'd rather have a Subaru WRX STi.

/Looks at the new 2008 WRX/STi

Oh the irony.

I agree with Fatmouse on the desirability thing not being as clear cut as some people think. It's all taste.

I'd rather have a car with the 911 tubby's performance and a Nissan badge than the 911 turbo itself.

It's like, some people when out, like to be fairly restrained, classy, understated and dignified, whilst others take every pain to show off their premium credit cards and designed labels in their clothes and tell everyone what their salary is and how big their bonus was. I'd rather be the former.

Nissan/Corvette over a Porsche/Ferrari for me thanks.

It's like, some people when out, like to be fairly restrained, classy, understated and dignified, whilst others take every pain to show off their premium credit cards and designed labels in their clothes and tell everyone what their salary is and how big their bonus was. I'd rather be the former.
Which in fact means you'd have the Porsche. Actually it's the Skyline/GT-R owners who constantly has to brag about their cars performance for people to bother about it. It's really unbearable to be near by them on track days as they are constantly bragging about how their car was so good that it was banned from competing with old Sierras and Holdens. When you have the Porsche you don't have mention it, it's a given...

After all, I really can't think of annother super/sports car, short of an Aston Martin that fits the "fairly restrained, classy, understated and dignified" description better than the 911 Turbo. I mean, how many times hasn't the 911 been criticized for looking too understated?

Oh, and KaBOOMn made a very good point regarding the price, a $90'000 Nissan will be on thin ice...

Last edited: