TV: New Star Trek Series "Discovery" Premieres January 2017

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network?s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS?s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman?s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons ? a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

?There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show?s 50th anniversary celebration,? said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. ?Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we?re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.?

?This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before ? directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,? said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager ? CBS Digital Media. ?We?ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.?

?Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,? said Armando Nu?ez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. ?We can?t wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.?

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

http://bit.ly/NewStarTrekTVseries

Cool, here's hoping it's as lovable as the first 2 seasons of Enterprise and won't end up as ill-fated.

Curious to hear more about the setting.

"We are going to build a new car model, and it will be sold exclusively by ou own dealership network."

That's about the amount of information in this "announcement".

Cool, here's hoping it's not as lame as Enterprise.

Curious to hear more about the setting.

I realise that's only my opinion but Enterprise never really did it for me but then neither did DS9. Curious to see what they do with it. I'm thinking that having gone back with Enterprise they may go forward and beyond the time period of TNG and Voyager.

Or reboot the 5 year mission with Kirk?

I can't see the point in that. It will invoke inevitable comparisons with the rebooted movie franchise and also cause confusion. There are very few instances of TV shows spinning off from movies with the same characters played by less well-known actors that truly work, the Robocop TV show being a case in point. You expect your audience to cope with reduced expectation of the same thing, lower effects budgets etc. If you invent a whole different scenario with completely new and original characters you can manage that expectation a lot better and expand into the movie world if it looks like it will work like they did with TNG.

I'd say it will be set in the universe started by the reboot, but won't be anywhere near the movie, time-scale wise.

Not sure what the difference is. Why is the Shatner Kirk, Picard et al universe different from the Kirk in the reboots one?

Because Spock and Nero went back in time and were naughty (well, at least Nero was). The main difference being that Vulcan is no more and there's only a few thousand Vulcans left. In the TNG universe, the planet still existed and the people lived.

Also, Khan and his cronies weren't left on Ceti Alpha V, they're in suspended animation held in Star Fleet captivity.

Last edited:
D'oh! I should have remembered the whole Vulcan thing. Makes sense now. Thanks.

Anyway, if the new show ends up being set in the reboot universe, my interest in it drops approximately 99%.

So it was revealed at Comic-Con yesterday (I think) that the new series is based in the actual, original timeline. Not the reboot one.

Also the new series is called Star Trek: Discovery. The ship is USS Discovery (NCC-1031). Judging from the registry, the show is based sometime before TOS (2254), and way after the end of ENT (2156).

Pix of the ship: http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/07/23/star-trek-discovery-trailer-breakdown/

Also the series will be available internationally on Netflix which will probably cause me to sub to Netflix for the first time.

If it had been set in the new timeline, they would have had to pay J.J. Abrams a share of every dollar it made. Which is why Abrams tried to convince them to abandon the original timeline for all future projects. He failed.

I really don't like the look of the USS Discovery. It is based on some decades old concept art.

Last edited:
If it had been set in the new timeline, they would have had to pay J.J. Abrams a share of every dollar it made. Which is why Abrams tried to convince them to abandon the original timeline for all future projects. He failed.

Is that actually true? Because if it is, goddamn the Star Trek rights holders made a terrible deal with Abrams.

I really don't like the look of the USS Discovery. It is based on some decades old concept art.

I don't like it very much either, but I'm guessing it just takes some getting used to. IIRC I didn't like the Voyager or the NX-01 either when I first saw them.

Is that actually true? Because if it is, goddamn the Star Trek rights holders made a terrible deal with Abrams.

That isn't the stupidest thing they did. When Viacom split into Viacom and CBS, they separated the TV and movie rights and gave them to different companies. So CBS has the rights to make TV shows and Paramount Pictures has the rights to make movies. So the two forms of Star Trek are no longer run by the same people like they used to be.

Abrams has a history of screwing over studios for his own gain. For example, while making the first series of Lost he was instructed to make a series style show with self-contained plot lines in each episode, NOT a serial style show with continuing plot lines and series long story arcs. He took their money and continually lied to the network about what he was making and only got away with it because the show proved so popular. Otherwise, he probably would have been blacklisted by every studio in Hollywood.

I don't like it very much either, but I'm guessing it just takes some getting used to. IIRC I didn't like the Voyager or the NX-01 either when I first saw them.

It seems to be based on the concept art for the proposed 70's show called Star Trek Phase II that was cancelled in favour of making the first Star Trek movies instead.

I do like the look of that ship. It shows its clearly older than the Enterprise and maybe is a prototype. I'm hoping the show does go into the design and engineering aspects of these star ships since this seems to be set in the early days.

The ship appears to violate at least one of Gene Roddenberry's rules for the design of Starfleet Vessels.

Rule #1 Warp nacelles *must* be in pairs.

Rule #2 Warp nacelles must have at least 50% line-of-sight on each other across the hull.

Rule #3 Both warp nacelles must be fully visible from the front.

Rule #4 The bridge must be located at the top center of the primary hull.

Remember how USS Voyager's nacelle pylons actually bent upwards when they wanted to go to warp? That was so that the body of the ship wasn't between the nacelles, which would have violated rule #2.

Last edited:
I do like the look of that ship. It shows its clearly older than the Enterprise and maybe is a prototype. I'm hoping the show does go into the design and engineering aspects of these star ships since this seems to be set in the early days.

I like it too. Hoping the new show is an improvement over Enterprise which I could never really get into.

That isn't the stupidest thing they did. When Viacom split into Viacom and CBS, they separated the TV and movie rights and gave them to different companies. So CBS has the rights to make TV shows and Paramount Pictures has the rights to make movies. So the two forms of Star Trek are no longer run by the same people like they used to be.

Abrams has a history of screwing over studios for his own gain. For example, while making the first series of Lost he was instructed to make a series style show with self-contained plot lines in each episode, NOT a serial style show with continuing plot lines and series long story arcs. He took their money and continually lied to the network about what he was making and only got away with it because the show proved so popular. Otherwise, he probably would have been blacklisted by every studio in Hollywood.

It seems to be based on the concept art for the proposed 70's show called Star Trek Phase II that was cancelled in favour of making the first Star Trek movies instead.

One interesting thing to note is that the game Star Trek Online recently saw the introduction of content from the the Kelvin timeline movies. CBS owns the STO game rights and content etc (and the TV rights), whilst Viacom own the Kelvin timeline (movie content). I know it's just an internet space ship, but Viacom content has been around for 6+ years and was only introduced in the last month or so into the game.

Perhaps a Kelvin timeline series isn't so far-fetched.