TV: New Star Trek Series "Discovery" Premieres January 2017

I disliked the lack of tech in Enterprise. That was my biggest issue with it I think. It was just sci-fi rather than Star Trek.

Yeah, other Trek made more of a point of showcasing the ships and tech. Enterprise and the new movies only use them as a setting, without any emphasis. All the jokes about reversing polarities and "compensating!", but that really made the difference.

I disliked the lack of tech in Enterprise. That was my biggest issue with it I think. It was just sci-fi rather than Star Trek.

Really? The lack of focus on the tech is what made me like it much more. Sometimes shit broke and it couldn't be fixed, they had to scrounge and barter for parts; sometimes they couldn't Treknobabble their way out of a problem and actually had to rely on friends, allies, or cunning. It set things up really nicely with Commander Shran, who went from a foil and adversary to friend and ally of Archer. He even made a jab at Archer and Enterprise in one of the episodes, calling the ship "fragile".

A lot of the tech in Star Trek came out of necessity, the transporter was scripted in because they didn't have the money to show shuttles launching and landing in every episode. One of the points of "Enterprise" was going out beyond the frontier and not being ready, being outclassed, and missing a lot of the things we took for granted in "later" installments of the franchise.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The release date has been pushed back from January to May.

I thought it seemed a little off that they hadn't even started casting yet.

Hopefully they'll use the extra time to completely redesign the ship.

After the fan response to the half-assed teaser, I would not be surprised if the studio smothered this in the crib and went back to the drawing board.

There's good news as well - it seems like Nicholas "Wrath of Khan" Meyer is consulting on the series.

On to not so good news: Bryan Fuller has stepped down as showrunner.

The same report notes that it seems like the show might follow parallel storylines of a Federation Ship and a Klingon Bird of Prey, which sounds fun, if done right (DS 9 had some great Klingon-centered episodes, for example).

I am not yet willing to give up on the one.

He had planned to step down as showrunner due to previously scheduled projects, he is still involved in production and has mapped out the first season.

There has been a lot of speculation that the reason they went after the producers of Axanar so hard is because Discovery may deal with the Klingon War.

They went after Axanar because the producers would not stay within the very liberal boundaries set by the studio. They also kept poking the studio asking for explicit permission, which the studio was not going to grant, had they just stuck with what the studio was letting slide, they would have been left alone.

I got the impression that the studios (Paramount and CBS) didn't create any fan-film guidelines until after the court case had begun.

Oh great bird of the galaxy, hear my only prayer: let this be good.