James May: New top toy

What happened to James' other plane, I thought he had a white one not so long ago...

According to Wikipedia, he has put up his old plane for sale since he got this one.

It didn't state the colour, but it's probably the one you have in mind... unless you're going by the plane in the Veyron segment, which I'm not sure was James'.

I fly the Super D at school for aerobatics and they are amazingly fun little planes to fly. As for being IFR equipped I don't know what the ICAO regulations are, but as someone else already pointed out this planes has no VOR, and, in the US at least, panel mounted GPS receivers are not certified for flight under IFR. I'm really envious of James, besides a Piper Cub, the Super Decathlon is the most fun plane I've ever flown.

It didn't state the colour, but it's probably the one you have in mind... unless you're going by the plane in the Veyron segment, which I'm not sure was James'.

ROFL, at first I thought you meant the EuroFighter...

I believe he bought the Luscombe together with his mate Colin Goodwin (of Autocar fame) and has now sold his share to him. I guess for James it's like cars and that he will switch planes every few years or so, just to see what another type of plane is like to fly.

Good work hokiethang, that kind of thing is untoward.

But before the link got redacted, I looked at it and Jame's airplane was made in 1999... so I guess it is second hand after all. I guess he just got a fresh coat of candy red paint.

Yes, it is second hand. This is the plane as per the previous registration number http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1064334/

It's a beauty! Good choice, Mr May.

I believe he bought the Luscombe together with his mate Colin Goodwin (of Autocar fame) and has now sold his share to him. I guess for James it's like cars and that he will switch planes every few years or so, just to see what another type of plane is like to fly.

I wonder if I can download one of these for Microsoft Flight Simulator 4...:D

What happened to James' other plane, I thought he had a white one not so long ago...

Anyway, I am glad he is happy with his new flying machine, wish I had one!:lol:

The plane May wrote about in TG magazine was Luscombe 8A. In a Simon Mayo interview James said he was in the process of selling the Luscombe. The old plane really was old. Built in 1947. The UK plane registration site still claims it's owned by May.
James is gathering a fleet of planes?

Last edited:
To begin with it doesn't appear to have vital and basic Instrument Flying Rules equipment such as a VOR-receiver. While the picture of the cockpit posted by someone else has a GPS-device, GPS navigation is not allowed as a primary navigation device in Europe, partly due to lack of accuracy (and WAAS groundstations). The fact the aircraft is open on the sides don't help much either, and I believe (unsure) IFR aircraft need to be certified to withstand a lightning strike, and I'm not entirely sure something this small is. :lol:

As said, I'm not entirely sure about the last bit. Legislations occupy the brain too much, I rather forget them as soon as possible. :zzz::mrgreen:

Actually, it may look fancy, but it's quite basically equipped. :p
Oh yeah, I think I remember this VOR stuff from flight simulator.. It was silly hard to get the beacons alligned :D

Yeah, see, I though this stuff was standard for most small planes..
The really small stuff, like the piper cub, excluded, ofcourse.

Fair do's on removal of Jame's Address but his middle name was fairly pointless as it's on Wiki, just makes my quote look less valid, anyways all that info was gained incredibly easily so if anyone cared enough they could get it too.

Either way, hats off to James for his new plane.

Oh yeah, I think I remember this VOR stuff from flight simulator.. It was silly hard to get the beacons alligned :D

Yeah, see, I though this stuff was standard for most small planes..
The really small stuff, like the piper cub, excluded, ofcourse.

The Cub has same capacity as the Decathlon. One pilot and one 'passenger'.
the super popular most produced Cessnas are often used for pilot training. I guess that's why many of them are fitted with IFR equipment.
(sure the Cub was intended to be a trainer but it's very old design)