New tv

caro

Car(s)
2 girls, 1 cup, 2 bikes, 1 car...
I would like to buy a tv. Basic 40-43 inch display, full hd. I don't really need 4k, smart tv, android, 3d. I just want the image quality.

Ideas ?

Something from Sony? Or one of the IPS LG TVs?

I have the LG 40UF770V, a 40" UHD, LED backlit IPS TV. I bought it to primarily use as a giant UHD monitor and it's OK at that but it really is much better as a TV. It upscales 1080p very nicely and the adaptive LED backlight makes for nice colours and contrast. Sound from the internal speakers isn't supposed to be great but I've never used them as I feed the sound through an amp and bookshelf speakers.

I paid ?400 for it, not sure about your local prices but I personally think it's very good value for money.

A word of warning though regarding audio on this and most other UHD TVs, there is a fair amount of input lag. If you have audio fed from a Blu-Ray player, for example, to the TV and to a surround sound receiver you will find that the audio is ahead of the picture. You need to feed everything in to the TV and then back out to the amp.

Something from Sony? Or one of the IPS LG TVs?

I'm looking for a new tv as well. And from what i'm reading you'd better stay away from IPS panels.
IPS panels have the benefit of better viewing angels, but they have less deep blacks.

If you're going for movies and want good colours, you need to go for a VA type LCD panel.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1462946905&rss said:
Unlike last year?s X85C that used a VA type LCD panel, this year?s XD85 uses an IPS type LCD panel. Maybe you already know the general characteristics of each type but if not, the best way to think about it is probably that VA has relatively good contrast and black levels but narrow viewing angles - vice versa for IPS.

Also, if you're not interested in smart tv, stay away from Sony. Their latest offerings (in the bigger sizes that i'm looking at) all have android tv. Which wouldn't be so bad, if they decided to use a SoC that is capable of handeling it. All reviews that i read about sony says that 'gaming' on the android tv is laggy, as well as playing HD video's via android tv.

I just care about image quality. If only there were still plasmas on sale...

Both Newegg and Amazon show plasma TVs on sale.

I'm quite happy with my Panasonic 40DS500e
Then again my previous one was 13 years old so everything's an improvement.

I chose this specific model because it has nice streaming options, it's the exact size I want, and the screen looked better compared to others. LG was a close second with their 43 inch set though