New York City Meetup

These CT routes are cool too since you can hug the coast and see nice views of the sound, and do some mansion gawking too.

What roads would you take for that?

I've been up to Bear Mountain before, following 9W past Nyack isn't very far and has entertaining elevation changes. But there really are a ton of Sunday drivers as it's a busy road, 4 lanes in many places.

Greenwich along the coast up to Westport, then north to Redding and west to Bear Mountain? I really don't know CT roads, or specific roads in general, and MA's roads are always busy as hell.

I think it would be better to find non busy roads or ones that wouldn't be busy on Friday or Saturday

Why don't we go meetup at the NY autoshow(usually in april) drive to a karting place, have a few races, and drive somewhere and maybe take a different path back to NY and everyone just chats at a diner or somethin then we leave.

Lets get some maps of some routes! GOOGLE Earth

this sounds like a fantastic plan. i am not sure i would sacrifice awesome roads for karting but then we could always do a kart specific meet later (or earlier) if we wanted

Last edited:
Why don't we go meetup at the NY autoshow(usually in april) drive to a karting place, have a few races, and drive somewhere and maybe take a different path back to NY and everyone just chats at a diner or somethin then we leave.

Lets get some maps of some routes! GOOGLE Earth

The Auto Show/Kart racing idea sounds like it would work. NYC area just isn't that ideal for road driving, and you need to take a 30 minute+ trip to get to some good roads. Also, it would be nice to have a bit of late-January fun :)

What roads would you take for that?

I've been up to Bear Mountain before, following 9W past Nyack isn't very far and has entertaining elevation changes. But there really are a ton of Sunday drivers as it's a busy road, 4 lanes in many places.

Greenwich along the coast up to Westport, then north to Redding and west to Bear Mountain? I really don't know CT roads, or specific roads in general, and MA's roads are always busy as hell.
You could take the Merritt Parkway up to Westport, then we usually go along Compo Beach and some other coastal roads, then up to 57 to 53, along the Saugatuck Resevoir, and then up through Redding and Newtown. Great drive.

We did a variant in New Canaan, the mansions are huge, but it was a little confusing. It didn't help that I didn't have time to do a practice run. ;)

The Westport > Falls Village run that was hugely popular with our Vette run has very little traffic.

The Auto Show/Kart racing idea sounds like it would work. NYC area just isn't that ideal for road driving, and you need to take a 30 minute+ trip to get to some good roads. Also, it would be nice to have a bit of late-January fun :)
The NY auto show is in April.

Where is there karting near NYC?

An awesome show for us to meet at would be the Greenwich Concours D'Elegance next summer.

Last time I was there they had a Pagani Zonda, Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo, AND a McLaren F1. Lots of classic Ferrari's, Porsche's, and Masarati's. Needless to say, it's fitting to our namesake. ;)

I've been to 3 NY Auto Shows in the past few years. It's great to go as a first timer, but you wind up seeing the same crap every year pretty much.

I just signed up so I can post in this thread, but it looks like this hasn't been updated in a while.

I'd be game for a meet in the Spring at this point. I've done a number of cruises with Porsche and VW clubs and know the roads around the city well.

Post a few potential routes and we'll see if we cant get this off the ground:)

Post a few potential routes and we'll see if we cant get this off the ground:)

I wouldn't do that. I can PM you some routes, but won't post them on a public forum. You know who might be reading and taking notes ;)

I wouldn't do that. I can PM you some routes, but won't post them on a public forum. You know who might be reading and taking notes ;)

That's why carting sounds like such a good idea. It'll be a pretty decent trip just to get anywhere worthwhile from NYC.

I'd be down

I'd be down

I'd like to say that I would be down for a meet around NY. I personally think driving (and parking) in the city is a nightmare, but long island has fair selection of backroads.
I'd also be interested in checking out the greenwich area. I've only passed through, but I imagine the roads would be very nice.

As many have stated though, the timing isn't ideal. winter makes for a miserable driving experience, where I think much of my distain for the season stems from.

regardless, count me in whenever you guys want to do something around NY.

I'd like to say that I would be down for a meet around NY. I personally think driving (and parking) in the city is a nightmare, but long island has fair selection of backroads.
I'd also be interested in checking out the greenwich area. I've only passed through, but I imagine the roads would be very nice.

As many have stated though, the timing isn't ideal. winter makes for a miserable driving experience, where I think much of my distain for the season stems from.

regardless, count me in whenever you guys want to do something around NY.
LI has nice scenery with the coast (did a Hamptons run once, which was very nice), but CT definitely wins on pure driving roads.

If you have any good routes PM em to me and we'll see if we cant get this sorted out.

PM'ed you a couple routes. Here's some pics from the "Fall Foliage" tour I did with a few friends a couple of months ago:

PM'ed you a couple routes. Here's some pics from the "Fall Foliage" tour I did with a few friends a couple of months ago:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/11/1002235.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/11/1002254.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/11/IMG0245.jpg

A few more pics:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/11/IMG0225_000.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/11/IMG0220_000.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/11/IMG0240.jpg

I have an amazing route that starts in Westport, let me know if you're interested.