newegg.com customers, need your help

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
I currently am doing some research on a good/service that is traded on the internet and decided to go with newegg.com, I have a couple of survey's to ask you guys who use it. I know there are loads who use it on this forum (Please only post serious answers, I might have to reference this url if needed)

You do not have to answer all, only answer those that are suitable or where you have a point to make.

1. Have you ever encountered any problems while buying products from it?

2. Where did you go before the website existed? Did you have to travel far, spend alot of time searching? Does it cost more on newegg?

3. Do you purchase more computer hardware since newegg was created because it is much quicker and easier?

4. Do your local computer stores provide the same variety or Hardware/Software (everything that is sold on newegg)?

5. Was there a situation where you should have purchased at the local hardware store instead of newegg, even if the local store had a higher price? (e.g. Needed quick delivery..... etc)

6. A very brief why you choose to purchase there instead of the local store?

Your help is very much appreciated, and I remember reading an interview with the founders of newegg and several pictures? Anyone still have it?

I would also appreciate if we did not have Off-topic discussions here.

1 - I have encountred no problems in any of my NewEgg purchases

2- I did a lot of my purchasing with PC Club, but they turned into a bunch of wankers.

3- I purchase the same amount of hardware, but I do get quite a bit from NewEgg

4- No, they don't. PC Club used to have free shipping to their local store, which was a nice bonus since they were only 5 minutes away.

5- Nothing for major purchases, just little things like A: drives or cheap cables for repairing someone else's machine.

6- I trust NewEgg for secure purchasing and I really like the customer reviews of every product, those have made me re-think several purchases and guided me towards a product that better suited my needs.

1. Nope.

2. Only PC parts I bought before then were hard drives from like CompUSA and stuff. No actual PC parts.

3. It's been around longer than I have, but yeah, I buy goodies 'cause it's easy. I'd buy less if it weren't there.

4. God no. Not even close.

5. NewEgg does it in 3 days and is cheaper. I can wait.

6. Easy, cheap, huge selection, etc.

What, do you work for NewEgg now? :p

1. No.
2. Fry's Electronics (when I lived in Anaheim). Once in a while they have better deals but it I hate driving down there so I just pay a bit more and buy it from Newegg.
3. Yes.
4. Almost...Fry's has tons of stuff but Newegg still has a better selection.
5. No. If I order an item from Newegg in the morning I will get it the next day using the standard shipping. I don't live too far away from their warehouse.
6. Quick shipping, convenient, product reviews, search tools, variety of products. If I'm looking for the best deal, I'll get it through Newegg as long as the price difference isn't too bad. I know everything will turn out awesome with them.

Oh, right, Fry's. Forgot about them. They're like 45 minutes away from me though, so...

Re: newegg.com customers, need your help

1. yes, both problems with the goods and services. i stick with newegg because their answers to my problems have always surpassed my expectations. i don't expect perfect, just service.

2. less reputable fly-by-night internet stores
3. no

4. not even close. and the prices are much higher (save for huge sales, discontinued products, etc)

5. yes. overnight shipping does not always equal overnight delivery.

6. chose newegg based on price, thought turnaround time would be short enough, a snow storm got in the way.

andyhui01 said:
1. Have you ever encountered any problems while buying products from it?

I have had a few problems with returns, but purchases have always gone smoothly. They changed their policies on returns in the middle of processing one of my returns, and I had to pay a 15% restocking fee on $150 ram (granted it wasn't that much, it was definitely unexpected).

2. Where did you go before the website existed? Did you have to travel far, spend alot of time searching? Does it cost more on newegg?

I used a couple of other websites, and a local store (CompUSA). I also used to use pricewatch, but that became risky because of an influx of fly-by-night retailers. Newegg isn't the cheapest, but it is definitely more convenient, and a lot more reputable.

3. Do you purchase more computer hardware since newegg was created because it is much quicker and easier?

I don't necessarily buy more just because it's quicker and easier, it's more that when I need something fairly specific (and can have it shipped) I know that newegg will have it. There are times when I need parts right away that'll warrant a trip to a store.

4. Do your local computer stores provide the same variety or Hardware/Software (everything that is sold on newegg)?

No, my local computer stores suck. I wish I had a Fry's but unfortunately the closest one to me is 8+ hours (outside Atlanta). CompUSA is good for the rare emergency part, but the prices at CompUSA are ridiculous. MicroCenter is also kind of hard to get to, and has prices similar to CompUSA.

5. Was there a situation where you should have purchased at the local hardware store instead of newegg, even if the local store had a higher price? (e.g. Needed quick delivery..... etc)

6. A very brief why you choose to purchase there instead of the local store?

It happens, I've needed parts for projects right away and couldn't wait a week for shipping (ordering on thursday or friday, typically means deliveries don't make it until tuesday-wednesday). I've also needed parts that after paying shipping, would be easier and cheaper to pick up at the store. For example, 80mm fans on newegg are $4, but have $4.99 shipping for each fan. For $9 I can get two 80mm fans from a local store. Newegg shipping can be brutal, and that's why sometimes i'll still shop around. The new parts for my system were ordered from a number of retailers, as the other retailers didn't charge excessive amounts for shipping (like $5.99 for 2 sticks of RAM).

andyhui01 said:
Your help is very much appreciated, and I remember reading an interview with the founders of newegg and several pictures? Anyone still have it?

Here is the thread I posted about the Newegg Tour with lots of pics:
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=9974

1. My overall experience has been great. The only problem I had was one rare occasion when I needed a product ASAP, so I choose overnight for my shipping choice. Over 24 hours went by and I hadn't heard anything from them and my order hadn't shipped. So I called to find out what the deal was and they said that overnight shipping wasn't available for my area (which is retarded because it should be), so I had to choose a different shipping option. I was a little irritated because obviously I wanted the next best option (2nd Day Air) and my order had already been delayed by a day. Then it took even 24 more hours before it shipped, so my order didn't go out until 2 days after I placed it.

2. I have used ZipZoomFly in the past. They are pretty good (free 2nd day on most items, but their price is higher). Otherwise I would just search through Pricegrabber or hit my local OfficeMax/Staples which are usually more expensive. Pricewatch.com used to be good too, until I almost got ripped off.

3. No, not really.

4. No

5. Yes, see question 1

6. Cheaper prices, more variety of choices, great for lazy people who don't like to go physically shopping.

1: nope
2: Compusa, Microcenter, Best Buy. nope. nope. nope.
3: nope.
4: there are a couple that do.
5: yes, and that's what we did.
6: Usually things are cheaper, but I always check the clearance area of the local store first. No sense in waiting a few days for what you can have right now.

thanks alot guys... the replys so far are helpful, with a mixture of good and bad responses about newegg :D... and also thanks Jeffy for the link, wouldn't have gotten it earlier if I posted this thread last week, and if I didn't mention in the other thread, Welcome back! :D

andyhui01 said:
thanks alot guys... the replys so far are helpful, with a mixture of good and bad responses about newegg :D... and also thanks Jeffy for the link, wouldn't have gotten it earlier if I posted this thread last week, and if I didn't mention in the other thread, Welcome back! :D

You're welcome! But it was Jensked that came back, not me. I know, people get us mixed up, or were you just kidding?

jeffy777 said:
andyhui01 said:

You're welcome! But it was Jensked that came back, not me. I know, people get us mixed up, or were you just kidding?

oops... sorry Jeffy... I had a glimpse of the porsche 911 while reading your post and automatically assumed it was Jensked :lol:

I need a new avatar :cry:

oops, sorry, offtopic..... :oops: