Newest fuckup at Nordschleife: Astroturf. Yes, artificial grass. Kills Caymans.

Aren't you destroying walls if you crash?

Well, at least that'll end in millions of collateral damage, which will show the organizers how much they fail.

Nah. This is all an elaborate scheme to bring in more customers for their extremely profitable armco-repair business.

It is alarming how many endurance race drivers still do not know about this... Seems like there has been no information from the side of the N?rburgring about the astroturf, atleast in the form of some cautioning.

Some pavement run off area or, better yet, more rumble-strip berms would have been better. I might think cheaper in the long run. Pavement costs more, but it will save on accidents, which is what the focus should be anyway. Wider runoff areas have been a huge help at a couple of corners at Laguna Seca. Both in terms of driver safety and in the interest of keeping the event going. Even standard asphault could be laid down, even with a different texture or angle so it could be used when someone does turn in too soon.

Some pavement run off area or, better yet, more rumble-strip berms would have been better. I might think cheaper in the long run. Pavement costs more, but it will save on accidents, which is what the focus should be anyway. Wider runoff areas have been a huge help at a couple of corners at Laguna Seca. Both in terms of driver safety and in the interest of keeping the event going. Even standard asphault could be laid down, even with a different texture or angle so it could be used when someone does turn in too soon.

Mazda Raceway also has astroturf. It's on the exit of turn 11. Lots of people use it every lap with little detriment. They have to replace it every few months because it gets used so much. Also remember that the pavement runoffs added to tracks like Watkins Glen and Mazda Raceway are positioned in the middle of the corner and do not get used for better lap times. Those latest additions to Watkins and Laguna are useful for mid-corner spins or overcooking the entry. This is a different situation. If you add more road on the exit it will get used for better lap times and the dirt will still be there at the edge. Or worse, straight into a wall.

The old dirt at the corner used to eat cars too.

[video=youtube;5L-4lXRD1DA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L-4lXRD1DA[/video]

Ultimately, you can put rumble strips in and think you're giving everyone some more room for error, but in reality all they will do is carry more speed and use up more road. Same with pavement. Then you're back to square one which is a low grip surface on the edge of the road.

The reality is there is no solution to runoff on corner exit and whether it's sand, mud, grass, or astroturf the rules are simple: don't touch it if you don't want to lose traction.

Last edited:
Mazda Raceway also has astroturf. It's on the exit of turn 11. Lots of people use it every lap with little detriment. They have to replace it every few months because it gets used so much. Also remember that the pavement runoffs added to tracks like Watkins Glen and Mazda Raceway are positioned in the middle of the corner and do not get used for better lap times. Those latest additions to Watkins and Laguna are useful for mid-corner spins or overcooking the entry. This is a different situation. If you add more road on the exit it will get used for better lap times and the dirt will still be there at the edge. Or worse, straight into a wall.

The old dirt at the corner used to eat cars too.

Ultimately, you can put rumble strips in and think you're giving everyone some more room for error, but in reality all they will do is carry more speed and use up more road. Same with pavement. Then you're back to square one which is a low grip surface on the edge of the road.

The reality is there is no solution to runoff on corner exit and whether it's sand, mud, grass, or astroturf the rules are simple: don't touch it if you don't want to lose traction.

That is the best method. My thinking was that there has to be something better than putting in a slick substance at a place where you need grip. The more pavement you add, the more people will use it, but I just have to think there is a better solution that turf. If you are going to put something there, make it something that will let people safely get back on the track. If you accidentally hit that turf, there is nothing you can do but wait it out, like the guy in the Rx8.

I forgot about that little bit of turf at turn 11. I've seen a few people spin because of it, but its at a point in the curve where you are already going straight, and there is pavement on the other side. If that bit makes you slip, even if you will run off on the right side, there is something there that will give you grip before you hit a wall. It is best to not be there, like you said. Drivers will always find a new way and a new place to place a race car where it shouldn't be. I've worked tow long enough to know that.

That is the best method. My thinking was that there has to be something better than putting in a slick substance at a place where you need grip. The more pavement you add, the more people will use it, but I just have to think there is a better solution that turf.

I haven't seen it if there is. I mean, yes, astroturf has problems when wet, but so does mud and grass. Sand has problems all the time, whether wet or dry.

Unless you prefer walls, the usual dirt n' grass combo is kind of the best of a number of poisons. Until some magic substance is invented that slows cars and doesn't give better lap times by using it, then that's kind of the best option.

Unless you prefer walls, the usual dirt n' grass combo is kind of the best of a number of poisons. Until some magic substance is invented that slows cars and doesn't give better lap times by using it, then that's kind of the best option.

Well, there's gravel, but that doesn't work in all circumstances, you need lots of it, and it introduces a whole host of new problems when cars spill it on the track.

Well, there's gravel, but that doesn't work in all circumstances, you need lots of it, and it introduces a whole host of new problems when cars spill it on the track.

Yeah. That's why it's only used in deeper pits and further from the track. Gravel on the road surface can easily cut a tire down. I don't actually know of any tracks that use gravel right next to the road. Mazda Raceway has stuff that looks like gravel around the corkscrew but it's all cemented together.

Doesn't look like there would be much danger of dropping wheels in it seeing as the cars should be driving on the other side of the track, yet it would be useful if the corner was completely and totally botched.

The gravel stops as soon as the exit to the corner starts, so there's no chance of 'clipping' it. I'm sure if you forgot to brake (which is also the only way I can see that corner going wrong) then you'd be very glad for the sandpit.

So does this mean that the "Green Hell" is now the "Artificial Green Hell"?

LOL that is awesome, don't ban him! This will end in comedy gold! :D