NEWS FLASH: Adam Carolla to host the US version of TOP GEAR...

Just as I expected, here comes the riot and the lurkers out of the woodwork.

Corolla likes cars, but he is not the true gear head that Clarkson is, the evidence is from the clip show where he alludes to his Gear show. He mentions that he has not driven a manual car for a long time. Any real gear head can't go for any prolonged period of time with experiencing real transmission. Clarkson made a career in cars, that is all he ever did. Corolla made a career with boob and fart jokes.

My 50 year old mother likes to watch Clarkson, that is what gives the show its appeal, the ability to make everyone interested in cars. Corolla does not have the ability to do that. There is ONE group that will love Corolla in large numbers, that is men aged 18-35. I am willing to bet that everyone that says they like Adam Corolla as a host fall into that category, men aged 18-35. If you venture outside of that demographic you will hardly find anyone interested.
Oh boo hoo, he's not as much of a car guy. A guy who owns a vintage Porsche and a Datsun 510 racer, according to his interview in Grassroots Magazine posted above, isn't a car guy? And who do you think watches Top Gear? Can't be the 18-35 demographic that's entertained by explosions and squealing rubber, isn't it? There's more to Carolla (that's how you spell his name, BTW, he's not a boring Japanese sedan) than the wildly entertaining Man Show. Get off your high horse.

He's not the only host there either, and personally he seems like a down-to-earth guy who would be interesting enough to watch. Seinfeld and Leno and Patrick Fucking Dempsey might be even more famous, but I would probably fall asleep watching those guys. So, I'm looking forward to this.

I think Carolla would work out well when teamed up with Leno. Similar to Clarkson and May, when the latter starts going off on some mechanical rant.

Just as I expected, here comes the riot and the lurkers out of the woodwork.

Oh boo hoo, he's not as much of a car guy. A guy who owns a vintage Porsche and a Datsun 510 racer, according to his interview in Grassroots Magazine posted above, isn't a car guy? And who do you think watches Top Gear? Can't be the 18-35 demographic that's entertained by explosions and squealing rubber, isn't it? There's more to Carolla (that's how you spell his name, BTW, he's not a boring Japanese sedan) than the wildly entertaining Man Show. Get off your high horse.

He's not the only host there either, and personally he seems like a down-to-earth guy who would be interesting enough to watch. Seinfeld and Leno and Patrick Fucking Dempsey might be even more famous, but I would probably fall asleep watching those guys. So, I'm looking forward to this.

Thanks for proving my point.

1) You didn't catch the sarcasm of Corolla as opposed to Carolla.
2) You dropped an F-bomb for no reason
3) You obviously don't understand how well British Top Gear rates outside of the 18-35 male demogrpahic nor the importance of such a wide appeal.

The American version of Top Gear is going to be dumb and American with Corolla, excuse me, Carolla at the helm. I will yearn for Omar Khayyum jokes of James May.

This is truly sad.

Damn, dude. Pre-judge much?

Here's a simple solution: you don't like Carolla? DON'T WATCH. See, the thing is that the original British Top Gear isn't going anywhere. No one is going to force you to watch the American version. So, the question becomes, why do you care so much? What possible difference does it make? Just keep watching the British Top Gear and pretend the American one doesn't exist. No skin off anyone's nose.

It is the combination of the three that makes it work. Don't write off the whole show because of Carolla. Any of the three on the UK TG can be quite annoying on their own. The magic happens when they play their very different personalities off of each other. They temper each other, give you one or two to cheer for, one or two to hate, and generally keep things interesting.

One thing, with Carolla on the show you know that the truth about a car will be said. Torpedos be damned. From an honest appraisal of the cars standpoint, he will not be afraid to offend the hands that feed him. That is a plus.

The fact it will be on network TV means that he will be A) tempered in his vulgarities, and B)edited in them when tempering fails. This is also a positive. You get what he is good at without the baggage.

Put him with Leno who is more of a car fuddy-duddy than May (come on... steam powered?) and all you need is that third magical person to round it out. I am really looking forward to finding out who that is.

That is provided Leno is the shoe-in that everyone thinks he is. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he were producing the show too.

Chris, why don't you give the show a chance? Your negative opinion is solely based on speculations, since none of has seen an episode of the new sow. And even if the show is not "as good" as Top Gear in your opinion, wouldn't you be happy to have an enthusiast car show on a major broadcast network in prime time? We're all car fans and finally someone in the US is paying attention to us in a major way and all you do is spit on them. Why the hate?

yada yada yada

Okay, saying Carolla is not a true gear head is BS. As far as I know 99 percent of the members on this forum would refer to themselves as gear heads, yet (I'm pulling these numbers out of my ass), 20% don't have a license, 50% drive cars that wouldn't even fit on a "gear heads" 1000 most wanted list. Don't judge a book by its cover mate, hell, I love anything with an engine but there is nothing nicer (imo) than an automatic as a daily driver.

The fact that Top Gear is popular among 50 year old housewives, and that "everyone" likes it is not something I would list as positive. It is actually my only complaint about TG, a program like this should be made by and made FOR petrol heads.

All i know is when the US show starts airing that half the ppl here will be wrong and half the ppl will be right, but which half? I don't know. I don't really like Carolla, but i think he has the potential to be a good presenter for the show, but if it works or fails, he's not going to be the sole reason for it, so i think its stupid for everyone to get their panties in a bunch right now.

American Idol is the most watched television show in America. It's not at all uncommon for them to pull 20 million viewers and be number one for their time slot. American Idol appeals to many demographics. If Gear is anything like American Idol in any way it will fail because Gear needs to appeal to people who get excited about exotic/high end cars and at least somewhat juvenile behavior. Some smart comedy should also be in there, but just because Adam Carolla doesn't do much of that, it doesn't mean the show won't have any. How many high brow political jokes does Hammond actually make?

American Idol is the most watched television show in America. It's not at all uncommon for them to pull 20 million viewers and be number one for their time slot. American Idol appeals to many demographics. If Gear is anything like American Idol in any way it will fail because Gear needs to appeal to people who get excited about exotic/high end cars and at least somewhat juvenile behavior. Some smart comedy should also be in there, but just because Adam Carolla doesn't do much of that, it doesn't mean the show won't have any. How many high brow political jokes does Hammond actually make?

What? Apparently you haven't watched "The Man Show."

Ugh this Gear forum is getting tiring. I am tired of hearing the same crap from these trolls who come from god knows where just to post some over generalized and asinine complaint about a show which hasn't aired yet.

The worst part is that I suspect one of these losers is going to stick around, leaving us with another wanabe or roberto.

Adam corolla is my fucking hero now after watching the above video, he just rails on nascar the whole time. Anyone who does that is cool with me. I hope this rumor turns out to be true.

So to say: Never heard of him.

I guess I'll get to see if he is a good host or not.

A guy at another forum said "Well, he's easily as big a douchebag as Clarkson. Not nearly as funny, though..."

Last edited:
I didn't realize he was such a car guy. I think he will be great as long as he doesn't talk too much.

He had his own show on Comedy Central a couple years back and it was bad because he had to carry the whole show. It was just him talking and people calling in. Got to be boring pretty fast as it was just random talk for half an hour.

He should do well here though, because the format is more like the Man Show was. Other people to talk with and only short bits for him to say something. Should work well with a couple other good people.

Thanks for proving my point.

1) You didn't catch the sarcasm of Corolla as opposed to Carolla.
2) You dropped an F-bomb for no reason
3) You obviously don't understand how well British Top Gear rates outside of the 18-35 male demogrpahic nor the importance of such a wide appeal.

The American version of Top Gear is going to be dumb and American with Corolla, excuse me, Carolla at the helm. I will yearn for Omar Khayyum jokes of James May.

:lol: Your point? I didn't know you had a point under all that dense, convoluted, pointless ranting.

What was your point, anyway? That your 50-year old mother likes to watch Top Gear, so somehow TG is highbrow sophisticated television? If you think so you need to take the blinders off: it's got just as much crude humor as anything else aimed at the vaulted 18-35 demographic, just wrapped in a shiny veneer of Anglophilia and motors. The fact that it's managed to pick up more and more viewers over the last season shouldn't detract from its target audience, even though it has. Your willingness to completely write off "Gear", like everybody else in this subforum, before it has even come out just shows how silly you sound. Let's hope cOrolla makes enough references to Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children and the significance of its underlying themes of magic realism in relation to the new Jaguar XF, to appease classy, sophisticated viewers as yourself.

P.S. I fucking hate Patrick Fucking Dempsey. Afraid of f-bombs much? Then fucking stay out of the fucking Internet, that's my fucking advice. Fuck. ;)

My 50 year old mother likes to watch Clarkson, that is what gives the show its appeal, the ability to make everyone interested in cars. Corolla does not have the ability to do that. There is ONE group that will love Corolla in large numbers, that is men aged 18-35. I am willing to bet that everyone that says they like Adam Corolla as a host fall into that category, men aged 18-35. If you venture outside of that demographic you will hardly find anyone interested.

A large chunk of WWF viewers are elderly women, does that make it sophisticated television?

I didn't realize he was such a car guy. I think he will be great as long as he doesn't talk too much.

He had his own show on Comedy Central a couple years back and it was bad because he had to carry the whole show. It was just him talking and people calling in. Got to be boring pretty fast as it was just random talk for half an hour.

He should do well here though, because the format is more like the Man Show was. Other people to talk with and only short bits for him to say something. Should work well with a couple other good people.

He was quite good with Jimmy Kimmel at his side on Man Show. By himself, he gets irritating, but when he's got someone to bounce off of... this could actually be good.

I like Adam, so I'm taking this as good news for the show and gives me a reason to actually watch it. And for all the haters, come on... the guy admits he loves Top Gear, so I assume he can't be all bad and I hope that means he'll have a good understanding of what a Top Gear show is all about.

http://img113.imageshack.**/img113/3108/258trollsprayoe8.jpg

^ Hey, I used that stuff to remove rust from my bike! :think: