NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I'm digging that widebody FC.

No, thanks.

I just hope they grab Shift, upgrade the physics a little bit, downgrade the amount of "game" and up the amount of "simulation".
And make career mode a bit more of a "become a racing driver" thing and not give you points and rewards for pushing people off the road, and if they spin while you do it, the better... errghhh.

Over the top modifications and action with sim-like physics? Yes please!
If I purely want simulation I'll do another race on iRacing, but if I want to have some fun while racing without having to be annoyed by crap physics I'll certainly choose this.

Except iRacing has a monthly fee and you gotta pay for every car and every track, you must be online to play it, and doesn't have such nice graphics... When they announced Shift they said it was aimed towards the simulation racers, while there would be another one coming out for the arcade racers (I guess this last hot pursuit crap), but Shift came out and it was really unrealistic, plagued with bugs, sort of, well, crap. I just hope Shift 2 is what Shift should have been....

I thought the same about iRacing, but when I tried it earlier this year I just had to go with a 1-year subscription because it simply is that good. Also, with iRacing you get regular updates which also include graphic improvements.

I never played Shift 1, but if this has good physics I'm going to buy it and play it a lot.

I did race in iRacing and I will go back when I get a decent wheel. But it's just not the same, not what NFS was ever aiming at, however, what NFS was aiming at was a good concept. The execution is what sucked.

Looks great, but I hope they don't mess it up like they did with the first Shift. That came with a wide array of bugs, and the physics weren't as good as I'd have liked them to be.

If shift 2 can get the physics right, and add a few more cars and tracks, I will be happy as pie. I really enjoyed the driving in that game. I could care less about the modifications and such. Load the first NFS shift, and get a Mclaren F1 and race it at the Nurburgring. Few racing games can match that level of excitement. It is insane and terrifying, like a Mclaren F1 should be.

For a first attempt at a "serious" racing game, Shift is a pretty good game!
If they work out the problems, it could be good.

As ridiculous cheesy as the title sounds, I'll give this a try. I thought Shift was okay and did a decent job at what it set out to do. Some obvious problems, but perhaps they'll be fixed in this installment.

All the new NFS games weren't given enough time and money for development. In Shift all the high power cars have handling problems.

Don't forget the bounce!!

Last edited:
I never experienced those problems and if they can get the cars to behave more realistically on the Nordschleife (which is all I drive anyway), I'll be a happy puppy.

You've obviously never played NFS: Porsche Unleashed (aka Porsche 2000)

Indeed.
I played the first 2 games and stopped playing until NFS:Underground was out.

You should try it then. It had a lot of excellent features that were never again seen in NFS games like realistic damage (cosmetic & mechanical), inside views (Shift being the exception) challenging physics, actual fine tuning of the cars, realistic 'parts' marketplace, difficult handling specially with early 911s... graphics were good when it came out but obviously not now. I still play it once in a while, it was darn good.

As for the previous Shift, I can't agree it accomplished what it set out to do. It wanted to be a serious racing game, borderline simulator they lead to believe, but in truth your best bet to win some races was down right dirty play, not only was it allowed to push others off the track or make them spin, you got points because of it.
Not to mention bugs, not only on the racing, but of the engine. FPS was so bad for ATi users like myself that we had to wait for 3 months for a patch or something like it.

Anyone else think that this game has the 'potential' to be better than GT5? The car count (vs just premium in GT5) will most likely be pretty competitive (at this point they say 130+, double the first game), and I'm willing to bet it will have more tracks. (spa, bathurst and nurburgring have all been shown) Couple that with much better audio and (to me) a substantially better cockpit view (better presentation/effects) and art style (while GT5 looks great and realistic, it has fewer 'beautiful moments' as compared to shift 1), I think it could be a winner. Please, slightly mad, get the physics correct this time around. Really have my fingers crossed for this one.

Here is a quote from a developer being asked about problems from the first game:
" "AI was a big one; it was too aggressive. Handling on really fast cars was another one, and we've worked very hard on the physics model for Shift 2. We've basically just improved across the board."About the handling model, did he say "Shift 2 is going to be a sim experience probably unlike anything you've ever experienced before.""

Release date is set to march 8th, so we don't have much longer to wait.

edit: I see that they are claiming over 100 tracks. :)

Last edited: