NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed

Normally, I would agree with Zero. But I put a good number of hours into Shift 1 and i know what those physics look like. This looks exactly the same and they don't appear to have fixed the problems with it.

I have to agree here. It looks very similar. And you are right - the cars do seem to pivot around a central axis. I think I'm going to give this one a miss.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB9aHkpqV58&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

0:06, powersliding through that corner, is exactly what you could see from on board from the other vid.
Well coolness I guess, at least we can be entertained by crashing on purpose to see bits flying.

Particle effects look awesome

This is supposedly the "Elite" handling mode.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69I489_r-MU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

And another big ole crash.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgrOgWHrFIM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Last edited:
Running over grass and gravel traps has no effect on speed it seems... Awesome they all fitted these race cars with rally tyres

That GTR had so much grip, it flipped just by going sideways. These aren't rally tires, they are miracle tires.

Still, good to see understeer on the Veyron. It would be nice to get some actual info on this "elite" mode, though. It really is the make it or break it point on the game.

Crap on the windscreen disappears by magic and shouldn?t the FRONT disks on the Veyron glow red hot instead of the back ones?

The Veyron video looks decent. Not ultra-simulation, but good enough to be fun.

By the way, I will be purchasing this game entirely because of the 20b sound. So Badbul is in....what about Madbul? :(

Last edited:
Some reviews are coming...scores in this trailer....good trailer.

[video=youtube;rck-z6V3HV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rck-z6V3HV0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

It's very good, definitely an improvement over the first Shift, it's a bit tough to describe because they've made a lot of improvements:
1. Menus and navigation is faster, more responsive, loading times are better in general, the new music is also pretty good.
2. Graphics and effects are better, however my CPU (E6600 @ 2.8GHz) bottlenecks and it gets stuck at 25-35 fps which isn't enough to play it smoothly, you will need at least a stable 40 fps, preferably more.
3. Crashes, spins and sliding are more realistic.
4. There are more real tracks, they often use parts of the track (It's enough to say that your first races are on Suzuka and Monza)
5. There are more cars and all the garnish with upgrades, vinyls and so on, but no1 really cares about that.

However, my biggest issue with the first game was steering delay (with X360 gamepad for PC), it's still there and it makes for some very frustrating driving errors especially with unstable fps count. You can tweak responsiveness and deadzone settings all you want, but it feels like the car starts to turn well over a second after you move that d-pad.

Also in cons is the cheesiness of the "story", if you can call it that. Experience points for mastering corners, following racing lines, overtaking, speed traps, - that, combined with awkward instructional/narrative of that Racing Driver they made the game with just feels corny. They could have made it a simple scheme of Win -> move on to the next event - and it would be a lot better.

Last edited:
What GPU do you have Viper? Iv got the same CPU as you and a 9800gt (picked it up last night cheap off a mate) which runs the Shift1 demo really well.

I'm using the Geforce 460 1GB OC. It runs everything pretty well, even Crysis 2, the issue is with the CPU, as it absolutely doesn't matter which graphical settings I'm running. The CPU, however, if I unload absolutely everything that uses it (~6% load), i get an instant ~5fps bump, but even that's not enough, one probably needs a 3GHZ+ or some quad core for this. I've had this issue with a few other games, like StarWars Force Unleashed 2.

Last edited:
so far this game has been pretty shit, but i won't make final judgement until they fix the steering lag.

First impression: Shiiiiiit. EA, in typical EA fashion thinks their customers have ADD and goes for the "yo, I heard u liek cars" approach. There are retarded videos that you cannot skip explaining s o t h a t e v e r y o n e u n d e r s t a n d s. The settings is only saved by pushing a button I do not have on my keyboard, why are they not saved automatically? If I want to have manual gearshifts, I set the shifts to "manual" and that should be it. But nooo, you have to press a nonexistant button (which means reaching for the mouse, and click confirm in a window that says ARE YOU SUUUUUUURE?). Basically the game treats you like you're a moron that would burn your entire country down if given access to matches.

Surely 14-year olds that these games are apparently targeted at feels their intelligence is insulted by EA's approach? I know I would if I was 14. If I was 7, I'd think it was really cool.

Last edited:
That's more or less the problem I had with the first game. It tries way too hard to be "cool."