Nico Rosburg retires from F1

Well that was totally unexpected.

Speaking to reporters Rosberg said "Obviously everybody knows that I'm nowhere near as good as my team-mate and that winning the F1 Championship this year was a complete and utter fluke due to Lewis' reliability problems so I reckon it's probably best to go out on a high rather than carry on next year and get found out."

Not at all. I'm just calling it as I see it. If I am a fan of anyone currently racing in F1 it's Verstappen. He may be a little reckless but at least he's entertaining to watch as well as talented.

Kudos to Mr. Rosberg. Takes a lot of balls to basically say "fuck it, I'm leaving".

I understand some people may see it the way MWF does, however I think the reasons Rosberg actually gave are perfectly valid. If he is a family man and don't likes the toll that life as an international sports star takes takes on your personal life, then: good for him to recognize that and set priorities. :)

So, less than a week after winning the championship, the current champion retires. Three days later, a total of four people posted here (at least one of them hasn't seen a race in years). That says everything about what a waste Formula 1 is nowadays...

So, less than a week after winning the championship, the current champion retires. Three days later, a total of four people posted here (at least one of them hasn't seen a race in years). That says everything about what a waste Formula 1 is nowadays...

Well, there are 12 more posts about this in the season thread in the F1 section, but you still have a point.

I think it's just the regulations that make it boring. If F1 wants to call itself The Epitome of Motorsport with a straight face, they need to open up development and let the engineers get creative. Put general limits on them, like fuel allowance, and then sit back and see what they can do. I find it funny how they try to hype up the tech, even though none of it seems that impressive since boring roadcars already use it. Turbo hybrids? Yawn. I know it takes a lot to get that much power out of them, while controlling fuel use, and being reliable, but those are boring details. Trying to keep costs down while forcing the teams to use expensive tech is just dumb. Let them test, let them be innovative, let them compete.

Personally, I want to see active aero, active suspension, hell I wouldn't even object to traction control systems. Road cars have a lot of this stuff already, it's old established technology. Are they taking a page out of Nascar's book or something?

Now if they really want the "drivers to drive the cars", then ban computers completely. Make the cars completely analog and mechanical. That would be exciting too.

I think it's just the regulations that make it boring. If F1 wants to call itself The Epitome of Motorsport with a straight face, they need to open up development and let the engineers get creative. Put general limits on them, like fuel allowance, and then sit back and see what they can do. I find it funny how they try to hype up the tech, even though none of it seems that impressive since boring roadcars already use it. Turbo hybrids? Yawn. I know it takes a lot to get that much power out of them, while controlling fuel use, and being reliable, but those are boring details. Trying to keep costs down while forcing the teams to use expensive tech is just dumb. Let them test, let them be innovative, let them compete.

Personally, I want to see active aero, active suspension, hell I wouldn't even object to traction control systems. Road cars have a lot of this stuff already, it's old established technology. Are they taking a page out of Nascar's book or something?

Now if they really want the "drivers to drive the cars", then ban computers completely. Make the cars completely analog and mechanical. That would be exciting too.

Are you suggesting races where drivers have to nurse the tyres, nurse the fuel consumption, nurse and troubleshoot the car like an IT guy, nurse the everything, are not exciting???

How dare you. All of these ideas are genius. Personally can't wait till these filthy V6s make way for greener I4s. Then I can say my 1996 Renault 19 has an F1-like engine.

Okay maybe those aren't the most exciting aspects, but the competition for the title has been phenomenal! 13 drivers were could have won it at the last race, it was thrilling!

</sarcasm>

An inline four engine... what an unorthodox thing to have in a Formula 1 vechile.

Last edited:
Speaking to reporters Rosberg said "Obviously everybody knows that I'm nowhere near as good as my team-mate and that winning the F1 Championship this year was a complete and utter fluke due to Lewis' reliability problems so I reckon it's probably best to go out on a high rather than carry on next year and get found out."

Was Lewis' 2008 championship a fluke too due to Massa's reliability problems?

nurse the fuel consumption

that's no longer the case. during a red flag, all the cars are idleing in the pitlane, just to burn off the fuel

13 drivers were could have won it at the last race, it was thrilling!

there were only 2, yet the race was thrilling indeed!

How dare you. All of these ideas are genius. Personally can't wait till these filthy V6s make way for greener I4s. Then I can say my 1996 Renault 19 has an F1-like engine.

Reminded me of this... :lol:

there were only 2, yet the race was thrilling indeed!

Eehh... only 2 guys could win it, with 2 cars that almost never break down and almost never lose positions when they start 1st and 2nd as they did, and the guy with the most chances to win it could have came in 3rd and grabbed the title anyway. Was not thrilling at all just amusing when Hamilton tried his silly tactic, too little too late.