Ownership Verified: Night Riders Newest Car: 2003 Toyota Altezza RS200

The Night Rider

Car(s)
AW11, EG4, E34
Okay hopefully I keep this one longer.

Its a 2003 Toyota Altezza RS200. I sold the CRX for this because it wasn't practical enough having an AW11 and CRX and nothing else. Its still pretty sporty for a 4 door sedan and has reasonable power.

Here it is:
DSC_0026_zpsgr6blzs2.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsmq3h3fkh.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsfqvkog0c.jpg

DSC_0032_zps2iyrcgak.jpg

DSC_0035_zps41kicssh.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsyabbbxhf.jpg

I think this one will probably stay stock.

Oooh, it has the BEAMS engine. How do you like it?

Thanks.

Yeah I specifically wanted the BEAMS 3SGE. As expected its an engine which loves to rev and really gets going after about 4,500RPM.

Steering weight is really nice, lighter than E36/E46 but still heavier than all the regular corollas, civics etc. Handles very well too except for a bit of a loose feeling from the rear which could mean it needs an alignment (all bushes etc seem solid, no knocking).

Seems to have been taken care of well, it was owned by a lady who's son had a car workshop.

Overall I'm really pleased, its pretty much exactly what I expected/wanted; something RWD, practical and enjoyable to drive.

Last edited:
Also, all the American ones have the straight six rather than the high-revving 4.

First one has 220k miles and "could use a lil maintenance"
Second one "throw warning light occasionally"
:tease:

I didn't say they were good.

Verification photo needed (just to apply the rule fair and evenly) and I edited your post title to include the type of car. :)

I love Altezza / First gen IS. I've only driven straight six IS200 with around 155 hp. That wasn't quick at all, but handling was brilliant. I guess the RS200 is even better with its lighter front end. Do they always have LSD?

Very nice! I've always loved the IS/Altezza's looks, but the straight six 200 is too slow, and the 300 was never made available with a manual here. This looks like the perfect engine for the car.

Nice find. Would love to testdrive a BEAMS. Have you driven Honda K series? Wonder how BEAMS campares to K20.

Friend of mine has IS200, upgraded with TRD supercharger set (M62, intercooler). Very nice and torque to drive compared to na, but big minus as it lacks LSD.

Last edited:
Oooooh, nice!
It was my favorite car in Gran Turismo 4, I had a bunch, with different colors and levels of modification. :lol:

I love Altezza / First gen IS. I've only driven straight six IS200 with around 155 hp. That wasn't quick at all, but handling was brilliant. I guess the RS200 is even better with its lighter front end. Do they always have LSD?

As far as I know all RS200's optioned with a manual transmission have torsion LSD's, at least all the ones I saw (can check on the vehicle info plate in engine bay). I didn't test drive any 6 cylinder models so can't make a comparison but it does turn in very well, feels light and nimble for a sedan.

Very nice! I've always loved the IS/Altezza's looks, but the straight six 200 is too slow, and the 300 was never made available with a manual here. This looks like the perfect engine for the car.

Thanks, yes I think its a great engine. Maybe requires a bit too much revving for some people but I like it.

Nice find. Would love to testdrive a BEAMS. Have you driven Honda K series? Wonder how BEAMS campares to K20.

Friend of mine has IS200, upgraded with TRD supercharger set (M62, intercooler). Very nice and torque to drive compared to na, but big minus as it lacks LSD.

Thanks, I've never driven anything with a K series so can't compare sorry.
To describe how the acceleration feels: You put your foot down at about 2,500RPM and its nothing impressive, it steadily builds as the revs rise to about 4,500RPM. Somewhere between 4,500 and 5,000RPM you feel a smooth yet noticeable increase in power and the car starts to pull quite a bit harder (I think I've heard that the VVTI adjust point is at 5000RPM?). From this point you just enjoy until the 8,000RPM rev limit is reached.

Oooooh, nice!
It was my favorite car in Gran Turismo 4, I had a bunch, with different colors and levels of modification. :lol:

Lol my childhood favorite was the Skyline, don't remember which Gran Turismo (one of the early ones).

Last edited:
Very, very cool!
I think I might lean towards IS300 as I love 6 cylinder engines, but there is no denying that the RS 200 is the obvious choice as a drivers car.

Very, very cool!
I think I might lean towards IS300 as I love 6 cylinder engines, but there is no denying that the RS 200 is the obvious choice as a drivers car.

Thanks, yeah I know what you mean inline 6's like those made by BMW and Toyota's JZ series are cool.

Took a while but here's the proof of ownership pic:
IMG_2417_zpsyiyt76us.jpg

Last edited:
I love these very, very much. A lot probably don't like the backend because of the tail lights but I think it's a superb car. Shame we didn't get the 300 2JZ-GE with a manual over here, I agree with Posambique. Have a lot of fun with it :)

Also, at least over here, all "sport" models got LSD, so it's not tied to transmission afaik.