Ownership Verified: - Night Riders Other New Car (Never Would Guess)

4wd wagon is supposed to be easy to turn rwd, wonder if it is the same with sedan? Must be, think about it, B16 V-tecYoKick and rwd! Can you swap it into CRX?

Edit Meh, remember'd it wrong. Well you should still be able turn CRX to 4wd...

am I forgetting something still?
Yes, the 4 wheel streeting.

Last edited:
4 wheel steering?

I don't think Honda ever had 4WD and 4WS on the same model. 4WS was only on high end Preludes (maybe on some special Accord too?).

4 wheel steering?

I don't think Honda ever had 4WD and 4WS on the same model. 4WS was only on high end Preludes (maybe on some special Accord too?).
You'd be right. They never were in the same car. For great information on 4G's(crx is one too) I suggest reading about them on http://www.civic4g.com
Copies of brochures, tech information and a forum(fairy inactive these days).

Last edited:
I never knew the Fin's would be so enthusiastic about Honda's! Haha JK. Thanks Anesthesia for that link, seems to have a lot of useful info.

Just wanted to post this pic I took tonight, it looked much cooler in person with the red light:
IMG_1873_zps2elvayoo.jpg

I think I'm going to need a new steering wheel with boss kit (hub), the seating position isn't great for me, pedals too close and steering too far. I like Momo Monte Carlo. 320mm or 350mm I am not sure, probably 350 is more sensible.

Last edited:
I did a couple of easy fixes to the car today.

The idle when warm was too high (around 1200RPM), I noticed that if I quickly blipped the throttle and then let it snap back it would idle correctly. The problem was dirty throttle linkages. All it took was some CRC spray lubricant.

Secondly the rear hatch was really noise on even slightly bumpy roads, again it was a simple fix. Just needed adjustment to the rubber stops.

Finally the pedal felt a little squishy and on occasion a little jerky (that feeling when ABS engages). So I bought some Castrol dot 4 fluid and did a fluid change/bleed.

The stuff that came out didn't look to nice:
IMG_1874_zpsbuuws1nf.jpg

Anyway it feels noticeably better now, though I must say it is still no where near as nice a feel as my bimmers, not surprising I guess.

Well it's been a while since I've updated this thread, primarily because nothing major has happened or been done to the car. This is probably a good thing considering that it's my daily driver and shouldn't need too much attention, from this point of view it has been better than expected.. winter is almost over and the car has not let me down even once. In fact no matter how cold it has been it always starts up literally within the first second of turning the key. I thought carbs were meant to be a pain? I suppose nobody really talks about late Japanese carbs though.

To be honest there was a short period where I thought: Do I really want an old Honda from the 80's? What am I saying about myself?, But screw it, I'm over that. It's reliable (so far), economical, fits into any parking spot, and is fun; what else do you need from a daily, ABS? Better safety rating? Usable rear seats? Nah 80's FTW!

It's not beautiful or anything, but I quite like the design of both exterior and interior.
DSC_0099_zps5hiqfh3k.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsbnsfmymb.jpg

Last edited:
I bought all the parts needed for a complete brake upgrade, nothing crazy just all stock parts from a higher spec model. This means I can get rid of my rear drums in favour of discs. Also the front rotors and callipers are slightly larger. Of course I also managed to get the correct master cylinder and proportioning valve for the upgraded system.

I'll post a brief overview once I do the work.

Also these are some recent pics with facelift tail lights which I installed.

DSC_0395_zpsdoazrayy.jpg

Look at that Kamm tail!

DSC_0396_zpsddg98kuk.jpg

DSC_0403_zpsws0aofvh.jpg

Last edited:
When you're done with this car, ship it across the ditch and make a heap of money. These things are stupidly expensive now. Like AU$10k plus.

When you're done with this car, ship it across the ditch and make a heap of money. These things are stupidly expensive now. Like AU$10k plus.

Crazy huh, I guess they are getting harder to find in close to stock condition now. I don't have any plans to sell mine though, its a fun runaround car and I like driving something that I don't see around everywhere.

My plan is to keep this, sell my BMW's and get a 1st gen MR-2.

They really suit the car.

I found some original chrome exhaust tips in pretty good condition at the junk yard:

IMG_2307_zpshqxjzcmz.jpg

After a quick clean:

IMG_2308_zps5aqcbsev.jpg

IMG_2310_zpsjqqlok0p.jpg

I also found a set of duel carbs from an old Honda Concerto which was in very good condition.

IMG_2306_zpsdsx8aup8.jpg

My car is already running a dual carb setup from factory, which looks very similar except it has a rats nest of vacuum hoses and vacuum switches for emissions purposes. If I can get these ones to work it would hugely simplify the engine bay while still using OEM parts. Anyway more on this later.

Took some pics also:

DSC_0397_zpstloebi1q.jpg~original

DSC_0411_zpsdc0wfno4.jpg

So you have (had to check to make sure) MR2 AW11 and CRX, you have chosen well, my young padavan. Both of my favourite, bucket list cars.
Have you played with idea of twin webers? Put originals on shelf and enjoy the sound, smell and throttle responce. Mean while you could rebuild originals and when you so feel, return it to stock.

(4 wheel streeting is old joke as I read it wrong all my youth)

Last edited:
Yes, thank you. I don't know what a padavan is, but I'll take it as a compliment.

DSC_0415_zps77ljxjiv.jpg

DSC_0412_01_zpsomtgofd3.jpg

I have played with the idea of both twin webbers and four bike carbs. Webbers are pretty damn expensive and require frequent tuning as far as I can tell and bike carbs.. well not sure why I dropped that idea. I do need this car as a daily and cant afford it to be too temperamental.

To be honest even with the stock carbs I get that slight bit of petrol smell in the engine bay lol. Also you should hear the sound they make with the stock filter/intake removed (I'm in the process of trying to record it at the moment). Basically sound like ITB's or any other open carbs which is exactly what I have been wanting.

Last edited:
Sorry, correct term is Padawan, it's young Jedi student ;) .
I've had ITB's and carbs, I love the sound and smell. Go with bike carbs or get horns for original carbs.

Alright I had a bit of time so I decided to see if the carbs (which I found in the junk yard) worked.

Just to clarify, my car came with dual carbs from the factory. I just wanted to eliminate all the emissions vacuum hoses and the back box full of all kinds of vacuum solenoids. Also ever since I removed the stock airbox the induction noise was so awesome that there was no way I could put it back.

This is what I started with:
IMG_1815_zpsz0jtppgf.jpg

It took some time to get familiar with the setup, I wanted to memorize where most of the vacuum hoses went and the basic layout. After this I removed the carbs.
Kind of tricky removing some of the 26 year old hoses and stuff but nothing too bad.

Here is what I ended up with:
IMG_2329_zpsot4tyugn.jpg

IMG_2328_zps4sxq2y5d.jpg

It was nice for it to start up the first time (after a few seconds for the fuel to come through).

There is still quite a bit to tidy up and clean, this was basically just to see if they work and if I should put in more time to get the setup looking nice.

Sounds great.

Last edited: