Nikola and General Motors Form Strategic Partnership

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Does GM actually get anything out of the deal?

Nikola and General Motors Form Strategic Partnership
  • General Motors to receive $2 billion equity stake in Nikola in exchange for certain in-kind contributions
  • General Motors to engineer, validate, homologate and build the Nikola Badger for both the battery electric vehicle and fuel cell electric vehicle variants as part of the in-kind services
  • Nikola anticipates saving over $4 billion in battery and powertrain costs over 10 years and over $1 billion in engineering and validation costs
  • General Motors expects to receive in excess of $4 billion of benefits between the equity value of the shares, contract manufacturing of the Badger, supply contracts for batteries and fuel cells, and EV credits retained over the life of the contract
  • General Motors to be exclusive supplier of fuel cells globally (outside of Europe) to Nikola for Class 7/8 trucks, providing validation and scale in a multi-billion dollar total addressable market
  • Badger is anticipated to enter production by year-end 2022

After extensive research, we have taken a short position in shares of Nikola Corp
https://hindenburgresearch.com/nikola/

With Ford forming an alliance with Rivian, it was just a matter of time before GM did the same with another EV startup. Nikola was the perfect candidate and their Badger concept is, in theory, going to compete with the Rivian offering. I'm far more interested in fuel cell tech for a truck than I am batteries, especially if we can get hydrogen infrastructure.

GM might be getting access to Niokola's technology to underpin a GM EV truck, the same way Ford is with Rivian and the EV F-150.

I'm far more interested in fuel cell tech for a truck than I am batteries, especially if we can get hydrogen infrastructure.

Hear hear.

A battery city car would be fine, but charging an EV going across the western US will literally add a day to my travel plans, which is unacceptable. Currently we drive from Salt Lake to Los Angeles and only stop the car twice - because it needs fuel. We pack food in the car to avoid stopping for meals and all our fuel stops are less than 10 minutes. A current Tesla Supercharger can put about 250 miles of charge in the battery in 45 minutes. Now I have to stop at least one extra place (assuming optimal Supercharger spacing on the trip and not taking terrain into consideration) - now my trip goes from 9 hours 40 minutes to 12 hours 15 minutes. And even that is best-case-scenario because I might have to add yet another charge stop due to climbing mountain passes or because Supercharger placement is not ideal - and we haven't even talked about the issues of waits for chargers on major highways, some people end up waiting several hours for a chance to charge their car on heavy travel days.

So, in reality, by buying a more expensive EV, I've added two days of travel, which will put long-weekends in California with friends and family out of reach, added two nights of lodging and six meals to the budget, and caused me to lose 2 days of work.

Hydrogen removes all those problems - if there's places to fill up and vehicles on the market. Hell, with renewable energy microgrids, I could even see people in remote ranching areas with water access buying into small scale hydrogen production on-site to fuel their work vehicles.

Hear hear.

With Ford forming an alliance with Rivian, it was just a matter of time before GM did the same with another EV startup. Nikola was the perfect candidate and their Badger concept is, in theory, going to compete with the Rivian offering. I'm far more interested in fuel cell tech for a truck than I am batteries, especially if we can get hydrogen infrastructure.

GM might be getting access to Niokola's technology to underpin a GM EV truck, the same way Ford is with Rivian and the EV F-150.

According to the Hindenburg Research^, there are questions....

...which Nikola refutes!!!
https://nikolamotor.com/press_releases/nikola-refutes-allegations-95

Last edited:
Last edited:
Crazy story about trying to stop the whistleblower: