Nikon D800/D800e announced

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
Nikon D800 and it's stablemate the D800e just got announced this week after much anticipation. Of course, lots of discussion and opinions being thrown about. Tons of articles and blogs covering it but I'll just post the dpreview link for now

specpage.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonD800/

comparedtod700.jpg

MSRP:
  • US: $2999.95
  • UK: ?2399.99
  • EU: ?2829

Specs:

• 36.3MP CMOS sensor (compared to 12.1MP)
  • 15.3MP DX-format capture mode (compared to 5MP)
  • 25MP 1.2x Crop mode
  • 51-point AF system with 15 cross-type sensors, rated to -2EV* (compared to -1EV)
  • ISO 100-6400 extendable to ISO 25,600 equiv (same as D700)
  • 1080p video at 30, 25 or 24 frames per second, up to 24Mbps, with uncompressed HDMI output and audio monitoring options*
  • 3.2", 921,000 dot LCD with anti-fog layer* (compared to 3in, 921k-dot)
  • Maximum 4fps continuous shooting in FX mode, 6fps in DX mode** (compared to 8fps in FX mode)
  • Advanced Scene Recognition System with 91,000 pixel metering sensor* (compared to 1005-pixel)
  • 'Expeed 3' Image Processing*
  • Dual-axis Virtual Horizon (on LCD screen/viewfinder)* (compared to single-axis)

Feel free to discuss away. I'll only say this. I'm shopping for a used D700 now.

Last edited:
Wait the resolution is lower in full-frame mode?

I am so disappointed! They really made the D800=D3x where as the old D700=D3. I understand there is likely a larger market for massive amounts of MP but this ruins the camera for us sports guys. Low light and speed are not in this camera's deck of cards. Perhaps we will see a D400 with a sensor from the D3s.

Damn, I was hoping for a D800 with the D4 sensor as well. 36MP is a lot, and I'm afraid it will come at the expense of low light capabilities. If they managed to keep the noise levels on D700 standards while tripeling the pixel count, I'll be very impressed. If they didn't, I hope there will be another affordable FX cam with less pixels and less high ISO noise. Let's wait for full reviews though. Also, the D800E with no AA-filter sounds extremely interesting to me. And I'm happy to see that they kept the price in check.

yeah it's a typo, 36.3 MP, and yes I just bought a used D700 after seeing the specs.

And yes, I am among those dissapointed this is not a successor to the D700 nor has the sensor of the D4, but is clearly, filling a different niche as a medium format style camera meant for studio work and landscapes but much less oriented as an all arounder for action, street and wedding photography.

But at least I don't have to agonize over spending $3K on a new FF body now.

Last edited:
Obviously, the unspeakable already has an extensive review of the D800(E) on his website. Not that he ever laid a hand on the camera. And of course, he actually had the nerve to recommend the Nikkor 28-300mm as the perfect lens. :lol:

I was talking about the 800E AA-filterless feature with some salespeople at my local Samy's camera, and they were surprised how Nikon wanted to market that as a key feature for a separate camera, saying its something that will appeal only to a specific niche, who wants to extract every single last pixel of detail for large print commercial work and those who will know what to do with moire patterns in post process, but otherwise useless even to the majority of lower level professionals.

It does kind of drive home the fact that this D800 initially appears to be targeting those who want a much cheaper alternative to a digital medium format camera.

Interesting article by Rob Van Patten

http://weblog.robvanpetten.com/archive/nikon-d800

Finally after months in the making? I can talk about the project in the works since April. I can now call this powerful little package by it?s real name ? Nikon D800. It?s been hard to hold my breath for 9 months. Finally I can show you the images and what this camera can do. Let me first just say ? 36 MEGAPIXELS. For a guy who likes big images and really, really sharp prints ? A 36 megapixel DSLR is astounding.

I have carried a Nikon every day of my life since I was 12. It was cosmically destined that last April my Skype would ping from Tokyo. A distinguished sounding gentleman began asking me questions. ?How do you find inspiration? Define the elements of your style. How do you conceive of the futuristic images that you make?? This was a thought provoking conversation. I knew this was going to be an intriguing job. I began secretly test shooting a prototype.

This was a great collaboration with many of the top talented people who bring you these great Nikon cameras ? creatives in advertising, art directors, engineers, marketing people, digital imaging experts, film makers and then my own creative crew who help make my pictures come true. It?s been a dream project.

The result of the effort is this test series. The D800 is the culmination of several converging technologies in one precise little body. Technology never moves backwards. That being said, we expect gradual improvements. But sometimes a great leap forward in the experience of making pictures occurs when a new piece of equipment is released. I never imagined the next serious camera from Nikon would be 36 megapixels, and 1080p video. (I am still marveling at the quality I get from a 24.5 Mp Nikon D3x.)

?Shoot what you want?? Specifically ? shoot beauty & fashion applications for the huge files and the impeccable quality it renders. Make a beauty shot, and a location motion shot. Demonstrate dynamic range, colors and quality, detail and resolution.

What great fun. ?Showcase and demonstrate the features of the camera.? Each shot was designed to illustrate a specific aspect of the camera.

Im somehow tempted to get one... dont know why exactly. mostly because I want to switch to FX and the other joices are not an option
D4 = too expensive for me
D700 = dont want to buy an old camera
used D3s = could test one out for a few hours and its realy heavy, not sure I like that..

Damn, should resist always buying new stuff in dont realy need :D

Im somehow tempted to get one... dont know why exactly. mostly because I want to switch to FX and the other joices are not an option
D4 = too expensive for me
D700 = dont want to buy an old camera
used D3s = could test one out for a few hours and its realy heavy, not sure I like that..

Damn, should resist always buying new stuff in dont realy need :D

I'd be happy if you bought one so we have at least one forum member who can give first hand experience reports. So I fully encourage you to spend your own money on one :)

Promo video done entirely on the the D800.

Is that a S1000RR btw? Sounds frikkin brilliant.

Price is stable around 1870-ish Euros for the body in Germany, no price drops so far. First prices for the D800 are 2800 Euros, availability "to be announced".