Nintendo officially confirms Wii replacement

Lightning Count

Sauce here -

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163764p1.html

http://kotaku.com/#!5795241

Looks like they are going integrate touch screen into the controller and they say it will be siginficantly more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. They will unveil it at E3 and are going to release it in 2012.

Mocks up of what proposed controller could look like. Just a render nothing official.

http://img684.imageshack.**/img684/8571/52573677.jpg

This shows more promise however.

nintendo-wii-2-controllers-e1303539016851.jpg

Last edited:
Being more powerful than the 360 or PS3.... not an criminally hard feat really is it given the age of those two consoles. The GPU's in those are paltry compared to what you can buy for your PC today. Still this will be a immense improvement from what was essentially tarted up GameCube hardware. But Nintendo shooting first, is gonna leave them as the least powerful option when the new XBOX and Playstations come out, not that its dented their success any.

I like the screen in the controller... pretty neat. But surely the cost of additional controllers is going to be a bit horrific? I thought the price you pay for todays controllers is a little bit OTT.

A touch screen on a controller?
Nintendo you already make that, it is called a game boy DS. The new 3D one even has an odd joystick thing.

It makes sense that it'd be more powerful than the PS3 and XBox 360. Nintendo are under assault from platforms like iOS and Android on the portable front which are stealing all the casual gamers away from the DS line, so Nintendo needs to start catering to the pro gamers on their home console.

The Wii did really well when it came out but the novelty of the motion controller wore off after a year or two for most people I would say. The thing with pro gamers is that they keep buying games, whereas your average Wii owner probably played the included Wii Sports and then bought Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy and that was probably it.

I think what otispunkmeyer mentions is valid, it's not really a feat to make a console more powerful than the PS3 or the 360 which are 4.5 and 5.5 years old respectively. But the thing is neither of those two consoles are going to be replaced anytime soon thanks to the PS Move and Kinect.

On the one hand I think when the next Playstation and XBox come out they will make the next Nintendo console look quite weak but then again maybe not, the XBox 360 had a full year on the market before the PS3 and competes well graphically. I guess it remains to be seen when those consoles would be coming and what the specs would be, but for now I not only understand why Nintendo wants to go after pro gamers but I'm actually kind of excited by the idea of having a Nintendo console that wasn't designed for kids and families but actual gamers, even though I'm not much of a console guy personally (mouse + keyboard 'til death bitches).

Edit: The article says it has the ability to stream content. They should call it the Wii Stream.

Last edited:
Wii Stream... that sounds... nevermind.

Problem with Nintendo is that they've never really cornered the market of the pro gamer or those who take their gaming seriously. Something which the Xbox 360 and PS3 do very well. The Wii has always felt more of a social gaming console. Something you would play with friends round and so on. It would only make sense that they would try and come up with something that rivals the 2 big consoles. That said i also agree with Shawn, the iPhone and Android systems have done a great job in taking gamers away from the DS. Should they release something like FF7 on the Android or iPhone, that would probably make me put my DS away.

Thing is now with the next Wii on the way, its only a matter of time until we start hearing rumblings from Sony and Microsoft about their next projects.

Well the Wii was family-centric, the GameCube too I suppose. But before that Nintendo did cater to actual gamers... remember GoldenEye on N64? They can do a serious console if they want.

I personally don't think Sony or Microsoft would release their next consoles as soon as Nintendo will. The Kinect and Playstation Move didn't come out to compete with the Wii since their release was years after the Wii, they came out to extend the life of those two consoles by a few years. And since they haven't been traditionally challenged by Nintendo on the pro gamer front I don't think this announcement will get them to speed up their efforts on their next consoles.

Hell, yeah the N64 and SNES were properly well sorted gaming machines, no gimmicks needed, hopefully Nintendo will return to that form once again.

seems like they'll have a good 2 years on the competition though. MS and Sony are aiming for a 2014 release date for the next consoles.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/why-there-is-no-rush-for-a-new-xbox-or-ps4

Nice little article there basically praising the fact that the current gen consoles will of been around since 2005, making them 9 years old when they are replaced. I for one agree with them for exactly the reasons they state. They provide some relatively long term consistency and basically makes sure dev's cant get away with supplementing faster, better hardware for sloppy coding. They have to optimize like crazy to keep the graphics advancing on old hardware and that can only be a good thing.

Controllers need to cost ?25, a touchscreen one will be more.
Why do Nintendo, keep releasing news before e3?

fucking 360 controllers are already like 40-50 bucks.

Nintendo, the wii was one giant underpowered gimmick with just a handful of serious "gamer" games. Please try this time.

Why do Nintendo, keep releasing news before e3?

I'd gather for press attention. If they released it during E3 they would need to compete with a flood of announcements from others.

It'll be interesting to see just what they have in mind.

And regarding the other two, I'm quite glad that this generation is so long. The advancements in graphics since the release of the consoles haven't been great enough to warrant the cost and hassle it is to introduce a new console. At least not from my point of view.

I'd welcome a Nintendo that caters a bit more to the serious gamer, there are some Nintendo franchises that I would love to play. And their timing might actually even persuade me to buy one, if not for anything else of the novelty of a new console - I've never tried being an early adopter in that regard before, might be fun :)

Ummm.......
1176_full.jpg

crysis-2-screenshot-4.jpg

Little advance in graphics...?

I think it's quite easy to tell what kinds of graphics you can expect in future generations. As I see it a pre rendered cutscenes on current generation hardware = gameplay graphics on next generation hardware.

Good, I want a real Nintendo with a real Zelda with a real controller. I never bought the latest Zelda because I refuse to play with the motion controller, and the "classic" controller is a piece of shit. Also because it's still like $40.

Nintendo, the wii was one giant underpowered gimmick with just a handful of serious "gamer" games. Please try this time.

This, my younger brothers (14 and 16) are a prime example. They've pretty much outgrown the Wii and play their PS3 far more often ever since they got one for Christmas. My older stepbrother was the same when the first xbox came out..he ditched the N64 like a bad habit.

Oddly, the younger brothers love nintendo DS and have had one of each generation. They refused to hear me out on why they might want to wait for the NGP, Nintendo's good at hooking the tweens with gimmicks like 3D that's for sure. I tried the 3DS and the 3D effect was unimpressive IMO.

3 hour battery life on a handheld device is unacceptable.

3 hour battery life on a handheld device is unacceptable.

Oh geesh, that too. It's hilarious...my brother's didn't' believe the reviews (thought they were Sony fanboys) touting horrible battery life. "oh it'll get more than that with the 3D turned down/off"

Fast forward a few weeks later when I go visit them. me: "how's the battery on that thing?" brother: "to be honest....it's crap."