Autoblog: Nissan ad campain: vandalism, or just pissing people off?

Nissan ad campain: vandalism, or just pissing people off?

• Very Angry

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • Somewhat Angry

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Somewhat Positive

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Very Positive

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
The type of car being advertised doesn't matter. I only own a Nissan XTerra but I would not appreciate someone putting a window cling over my windshield advertising for the FJ Cruiser, or a Jeep, or anything else.

I don't care if it's a Porsche or a Nissan Micra, you don't fuck with another man's vehicle. Ever. Period. Full stop. End of line.

I've been known to grab fliers off my window and drive past the jackass placing them on cars. I've gotten pretty good with a 20mph drive-by left-handed hook shot. The last one I nailed right in the head with his wadded up flier. Once I pulled into a parking spot just as the leafletter passed, he came back to get my car and I told him to fuck off and not touch my car.

I don't care if it does damage to your car or not, you just don't do it. The only time you mess with someone's vehicle is if they have fucked with yours. This was the case recently. I used to live with my cousin when I moved back to Utah. He was laid off just months after buying his first house and needed money bad. I needed a place to crash and didn't want to look at apartments. Together these problems became a solution, at least until he stood there and let his moron friends fuck around in my car while it was in the garage. When I came back my radio, mirrors, and seats were all fucked up; they had emptied my glove box and center console; draped my CB radio mic over the rear view mirror and left a box of crayons on my dashboard to melt. They did all this while my cousin stood there and watched. His defense, "Well, I didn't do it!" Yeah, he didn't stop it either.

So on Valentine's day I took one of those water-soluble paint markers used by car dealerships to write promotional pricing on the glass and drove by his work. I found this pink marker in Tiff's new car when I was cleaning it, I guess the dealer forgot it. When my cousin came out from work he found his windows covered in bright-pink hearts - including his sun roof.

This is the start of a year-long campaign of psychological warfare using that pink marker.

Don't fuck with my car.

I never knew marketing your product was a waste of time and money, someone better inform the multinationals before they all go bankrupt! It wastes 5 to 10 seconds to remove the piece of plastic on your car, a couple more seconds to see if there is a bin, if there isn't then just take it home and recycle it there. Maybe the extra 5 steps will be the critical amount of exercise to stop someone from going into cardiac arrest from obesity complications. Nissan should be awarded for their philanthropy.
Where did I state that marketing your product was a waste of time?

This is your opinion, not fact
When did I ever state it was anything but?

It is also my opinion that you do not fuck with my car in any way.

As Porsches, outside of Panamera/Cayenne that are irrelevant to this discussion anyway, are small expensive sports cars we can rule out the "practical" buyer. Hence leaving us with those who purchase those vehicles for either status** or performance.

**There is also the childhood dream segment but they generally fall into status category as they would also be looking for the badge and wouldn't consider any other car anyway.

Porsche and Nissan are in completely different market segments (that is a fact that you can't dispute). Driving a Porsche has become a symbol of success/money (another fact), otoh Nissan is a well priced car for the mass consumer, in fact they had to create a whole different brand (originally in the US but they are expanding it to Europe now) in order to break into the premium market segment (another fact btw). I think you can agree that a logical conclusion that can be drawn from the above is that someone who buys a Porsche as a status symbol would not be interested in a GT-R.

As far as people who buy cars for performance go they are like people** on these boards and would already know about the GT-R.

**Yes there are certain exceptions just like any rule but I have yet to meet any.

Yes there are also people who have the means to own both but chances are they will buy both or already have.

So keeping in mind the above logical conclusions based on certain facts who would you say the campaign is aimed at?

No different than bastard club owners and activist organizations and, on occasion, even car dealerships putting flyers under people's windshield wipers.

Which promptly get rained on and the text comes off and sticks to the glass.

Goddamn guys, it's just a car. Normally you'd be paying hot women to touch it. :lol:

Goddamn guys, it's just a car. Normally you'd be paying hot women to touch it. :lol:

Oooh, dangerous ;)

The last time I said something similar here on this forum, I got neg-repped like crazy :p

If I'm paying hot women to touch anything it will not be my car :p

If Nissan is touching there, this is a bigger issue than originally thought. :O

:lmao:

As for the campaign, I'd personally be a bit ticked off, it's invasive and OTT, but I wouldn't go all homicidal over it. I'd rip the thing off (uhh, as carefully as you can actually 'rip' something off) throw it in the rubbish, think 'What a waste of time you stupid marketing folk!' and go home. YES.

But, I can see how it would really piss Porsche owners off, it's aggressively targeted, placed on your property, and really quite pointless. 'Ambush' marketing can work really well if executed correctly (good luck finding out how to do that without failing a few times on other campaigns beforehand), but it's always going to be a very risky strategy. :shrug:

And keep racing exactly what they build.

Nissan chickened out on the V6 when it came to making a proper GT racing version and they slotted in a 5.6(?) V8 for the cars built for the GT1 World Championship. Plus it looked horrible alongside things like the Ford GT1, the Murcielago or the MC12, far too tall and fat. Porsche build the flat-six for the road and also STILL race it very well indeed.

Heh, this comparison is just a little off. Porsche's 911 racing efforts are on a "slightly" different scale than Nissan's R35 efforts. R35s run with the GR6 box and VR38 in Super Taikyu which is much more of a production series than FIA GT1. Super GT is a silhouette series not to confused with production cars and the GT1 is not exactly a proper factory effort. It's run by Sumo Power which is a pretty small establishment itself. I remember some years back when they were just another garage tuner in the UK.

Porsche is on a completely different ground to other manufacturers on this, for them it would be a pretty ass-backwards-into-a-tree move to develop a new race engine and they don't even have any choices for a swap. Not to mention with their history it would be a marketing disaster. Do you consider BMW for instance "chickening out" on their E46 M3 GTRs for using V8s instead of the inline sixes?

No. I've seen the result of a "bikini carwash" and it's not pretty. I knew a guy who would go to those charity carwashes and his finish was more screwed up every time.

I find the ad funny, but don't touch my fucking car. If this was staged then cool, but if they really touched people's cars then no way.

I'm pretty sure those hired girls driving the GT-R wouldn't know a 996 Carrera S from a 997 GT2RS.

Without looking at the bootlid I wouldn't be able to tell either.

I'm late as usual.

How is this any different from Mormons putting pamphlets on my windshield trying to get me to go to their fucked up idea of invisible man worship?

It's not.

I found that answering the door with no pants, winking at them and saying, "Manuel was hoping it was you.... come inside" ensures they never, ever come back.

It's not.

I found that answering the door with no pants, winking at them and saying, "Manuel was hoping it was you.... come inside" ensures they never, ever come back.

Tried that several times, one of them wanted to come back later, the other one REALLY wanted to "save me".

On a side note, that might work if it wasn't in a grocery store parking lot.

Here's a hint: The Mormon missionaries are taught to start at their religion and backtrack until they find common ground.

For example.

Are you a Mormon > No
Have you read Mormon scriptures > No
Do you believe in God > Yes. - Start talking about God and how it relates to Mormons.

Just keep saying that you don't believe in X and eventually they run out of ideas. Don't ever say what you believe because that gives them a foothold, just keep shooting down whatever they put out there.

Or, you know, wave a gun around or something, I find that works well too.

I don't actually know the difference between 996 and 997 at all.
People who care can list a rather large number of differences, and can recognize each at a glance. The visual differences are (mostly) slight, but they exist, and there are definitely driving differences. I don't care a lot about my ability to spot a 996 vs. 997, so my "at a glance" guesses are just guesses, and not completely accurate, but certainly better than most. Of course, if I can see the fried-egg headlights, it's easy to tell.