Nissan + Gran Turismo

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2825/

Fancy winning a real-life drive in a Nissan 350Z at the 24 hour endurance race in Dubai?

Yep, so do we.

Everyone thinks that because they're good on a games console that they'll be good in real life, too. Well, here's your chance to prove it.

Gran Turismo Academy is a bit of a PR stunt obviously, but Nissan has teamed up with PlayStation to create an eight-month, pan-European competition that will blur the lines between virtual and real racing.

First off there's going to be a national level tournament online through Gran Turismo Prologue, that leads to European winners going head-to-head at the real Silverstone.

This culminates in the two eventual winners taking part in a four-month training course to earn their real-life racing licences.

After that, the racing begins proper in Dubai in January 2009.

If you want to get involved, GT Academy goes live at the end of May, and you need to sign up via your PS3 on the PlayStation Network.

Chances are that TG staffer Bill Thomas is doing it right now.

MUST BUY PS3...SRSLY

The winner will be Asian.

Boy is that going to be funny when they realise that it was more relaxing on the playstation! :lol:

Cool does that mean Australians can enter because Sony consider us to be European to charge us more?

The winner will be Asian.

Probably not.

Its Gran Turismo, which has a reasonably realistic physics engine, rather than Initial D, Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, or any of those other arcade games where you can throw a car sideways into a hairpin in 6th gear at 70km/hr and expect to drive out of it.

Seeing how addicted your average Asian is to those games explains why I'm so scared even watching them drive on a winding mountain road in real life.

Well, many people in Asia devote like 23.9 hours a day to video games, so they're gonna master it pretty quick.

Well, many people in Asia devote like 23.9 hours a day to video games, so they're gonna master it pretty quick.

Don't worry about Asians. I'm sorry to say that but they suck at Gran Turismo. I was able to play in the Japanese servers for quite a long time (thanks to my Jap copy of the game) and they suck at playing. Really! Of course there have to be some good Jap players but I still have to find them (I still have my Jap copy and play in the Jap servers from time to time).

So we might get a chance with it!!! :D

But please let it be racing not time trials. :rolleyes:

According to the press release the competition involves events "on and off the racetrack".

Its the "on the racetrack" part that's going to rule out Asians.

There's a reason why Super Aguri failed at F1, and why you don't see Asian drivers racing outside our own countries. Its because we suck at driving when its not on a computer.

Hey! Not all of us are rubbish drivers in real life!

I think the main reason we don't see asian racing drivers is because motorsport has always been a european thing, hence the lack of racing series and sponsorships.

And don't forget the absolute crap that Chinese car makers are still churning out. Come on, even modern Hyundais are now actually half decent.

Don't worry about Asians. I'm sorry to say that but they suck at Gran Turismo. So we might get a chance with it!!! :D

But please let it be racing not time trials. :rolleyes:

Pfft, don't be so naive, I'll wipe the floor with you on Gran Turismo! :p

(And on a wheel to boot!)

Hey! Not all of us are rubbish drivers in real life!

I think the main reason we don't see asian racing drivers is because motorsport has always been a european thing, hence the lack of racing series and sponsorships.

And don't forget the absolute crap that Chinese car makers are still churning out. Come on, even modern Hyundais are now actually half decent.

Yay! Someone is talking sense! :lol:

There's a reason why Super Aguri failed at F1, and why you don't see Asian drivers racing outside our own countries. Its because we suck at driving when its not on a computer.

I'm reminded of that Drawn Together episode where they explain why Asians are no good at driving on the road. Racist as all hell, but goddamn if it wasn't hilarious! :lol:

Pfft, don't be so naive, I'll wipe the floor with you on Gran Turismo! :p

(And on a wheel to boot!)

We will see that... :shifty:

And with a controlloer (not a wheel):lol:

Argghhh!! I wish you could make private races in gran turismo!!! :(

We should set up a finalgear tournament

Like the nurburgring comp earlier?

I couldn't get my lightly modded SLR to dip below 7 minutes....I think the shock settings are too hard.

There's plenty of race series within Asia, and obviously most of the competitors are Asian.

SuperGT would probably rank up there as one of the highest tiers of domestic motorsport within Asia Pacific, and if you look at their rankings the top 4 teams all have non-Asian drivers in the pairing.