Nissan GT-R vs Chevrolet ZR-1

blazer

Anyone have thoughts on this potential match-up?? say on a track and then straight line performance
I personally think it'd be a blowout to the ZR1 on a striaght line, but on a track the GTR might give it a run for its money.

Thoughts/comments?!

You serious?

Depends on the track and drivers. The GT-R is easier to drive, so you'll see it's true performance potential. The ZR-1 on the other hand has 630hp going to the rear tires through a 6 speed manual gear box. It will take a much better driver who's had plenty of time with the car to get it anywhere near it's full potential. Same goes for drag racing. The GT-R has launch control, an automatic transmission, and AWD. It will post more consistent times and be as fast as it's capable of doing.

There is supposedly a Spec-V version of the GT-R in the works, that would probably be more of a even match-up against the ZR1.

There is supposedly a Spec-V version of the GT-R in the works, that would probably be more of a even match-up against the ZR1.

Except that the ZR-1 will probably have it's hands full with the regular GT-R. :lol:

Anyone have thoughts on this potential match-up?? say on a track and then straight line performance
I personally think it'd be a blowout to the ZR1 on a striaght line, but on a track the GTR might give it a run for its money.

Thoughts/comments?!
Ok, kids, try to pay attention this time...

Corvettes are NOT solely straight-line machines anymore. This might have been true any time before the C4 (which was one of the best-handling cars of its time), but today's Corvettes can actually do this European/Japanese thing some call turning. And at speed, too. Who'da thunk it? The 'Ring times are an indication, if you're inclined to believe those as the be-all, end-all of automotive discussion like most people do.

The Z06 can already score a 7:42.9 time on there, which is inching at the GTR's time of 7:29.03.

But...imagine what 133 more horsepower from a no-lag supercharger, including carbon-fiber panels, the biggest brakes on any production car (same as the Ferrari FXX) and the same Magnetic Selective Ride Control from the Ferrari 599 can do to that laptime. Hence, it's a toss-up, one that I'm very interested in.

*waits for the ZR-1 to go around the 'Ring*
It's a damn near impossible comparisson, the ZR-1 is lighter, has better braking and a pretty serious suspension. It's got more power and is very "conservative" way of delivering power, manual 6 and RWD, and pretty much no electronics.

The GT-R is an amazing machine, it has a DSG, which is insanely fast on shifting, intellegent AWD that allows for best amount of traction under a huge range of conditions and quite a bit of power going to all those wheels.

They are a very different approach to the same thing and pretty hard to compare on the numbers alone.

Last edited:
Ok, kids, try to pay attention this time...

Corvettes are NOT solely straight-line machines anymore. This might have been true any time before the C4 (which was one of the best-handling cars of its time)

Lets get our definitions right, the C4 was and still is a extremely quick car, even the stock model with a automatic can romp the hell out of almost all the competition on a tiny Autocross track so long as it has good race tires, i will never deny its speed. However, when it comes to road feel, predictability, and persuadability a.k.a. "handling" it is completely TERRIBLE. All of the corvettes basically require their own driving style just to compensate for their very weird stock setup. I know one of the issues is that the front is either to soft or the rear too hard for proper handling, so you tonnes of front end mechanical grip combined with a rear that wants to break loose as soon as you show it some power. The more prominent issue is that old corvettes had almost no feedback via steering, so the tricky handling was only that much harder to predict and control. It wasn't until 06 that they completely fixed the twitchy-ness, and it is only with the 08 model that their is any real form of proper steering communication.

As for the ZR1 vs GT-R, personally i hope the ZR1 catches up with the GT-R just a bit, if it only matched the GTRs speed but had the GT-Rs usability then i would say thats that and could completely could care less about the V-Spec or whatever it is thats coming out. Plus its good to keep in mind that even if the Z06 and or ZR1 out cornered the GT-R in everyway, you have a 550hp GT-R (515whp dyno tested) with a very low drag coefficient of 0.27, compared to a 505hp and or 630hp car with a heftier 0.34 drag co. Somethings going to give on those long N?rburgring straights, and i have a feeling that despite the power to weight the GTR actually crawls away at high speeds, at least compared to the Z06.

Last edited:
Oh, I so look forward to the fanboy war that's going to ignite any moment.

Get your flamesuits ready!

I think most people realize the GT-R is a major threat to any supercar on sale today. We also know why it's as fast as it is. There's not denying the recipe for speed is right. AWD + fast auto trans + 550bhp = crazy fast.

I think most people realize the GT-R is a major threat to any supercar on sale today. We also know why it's as fast as it is. There's not denying the recipe for speed is right. AWD + fast auto trans + 550bhp = crazy fast.

Major threat on time, major threat on purchase i'm not so sure.

My take:

One car is a computer that does 3/4 of the driving..

The other is just raw power that needs to be controlled..

My take:

One car is a computer that does 3/4 of the driving..

The other is just raw power that needs to be controlled..

Same argument I use with regards to the EVO vs. STI.

Well do you want to look like a prick trust-fund boy racer? Or do you wish to look like a retired foot doctor?

Wow, first time I see a potencial for two flame wars at once. :lol:

Corvettes are NOT solely straight-line machines anymore.
I'd even go so far as to say that they never were, certainly not solely at least. Even by stringent japanese fanboy standards they've been solid cars almost since their inception. IRS, disk brakes and they had fuel injection half a century ago. Nevermind that the C2 and C3's IRS was just a wonky rip off of Jaguar's design that caused crazy toe-out under compression stock. Hey, they tried :lol:.

Ottobon, you made an excellent point about steering feel and 'handling'. I'm curious though, about how the older 'vettes stacked up relative their competition at the time. I've never driven any 'vette older than a C4, (didn't even get to drive that hard) so I haven't a clue.

As much as I love Corvettes, I'd be surprised if a ZR1 would beat a GTR V-Spec around the 'ring. Nissan has done a bang-up job building an absurdly fast car. The ZR1 is an impressive car in it's own right, but the Nissan's AWD and wonder gizmos make it an amazing track weapon. Personally though, I'd take the ZR1 (minus that rice-tastic clear hood) over a GTR in a heart-beat.

And uh, in before the inevitable :lock: