Nissan LMP1

jack_christie

Forum Addict
2000bhp????
B7u0lLUCEAA0ttg.jpg:large

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/112603-spied-nissan-lmp-believed-caught-by-fan-photos

mrpxjb8rxnjf75o7j1jg.jpg

Last edited:
Andddd it's.....front wheel drive?!

Last edited:
I think the LMP1 regulations forbid FWD and say that the fuel powered engine has to be connected to the rear wheels... pretty sure

I think the LMP1 regulations forbid FWD and say that the fuel powered engine has to be connected to the rear wheels... pretty sure

It's FWD in terms of which end the IC?internal combustion?engine sends its power. It's designed to be AWD, thanks to the H propelling the front and rear wheels. It's a TTV6?a twin-turbo V6, withDI?direct-injection. And its 3.0-liter engine was not, as some have suggested, originally envisioned as an F1?sorry?Formula 1 powerplant.

It was originally targeted to have 2000 horsepower, but that figure has been tamed to something in the 1250-1500 region, with the IC contributing just over 500hp and the hopefully 8MJ H Flybrid system offering up the other 750-plus hp.

Put it all together and we have an ACO LMP1-H that's FWD,AWD, featuring a 3.0-liter DI TTV6 withan 8MJ H, dubbed the GT-R LM NISMO, that will race in the FIA WEC.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...bowlby/?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1459_138161794

I love the fact that Nissan is thinking outside the box.

nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-marshall-pruett-55.jpg

gallery_nrm_1422830234-nissan_gt-r_lm_nismo_lmp1_by_marshall_pruett_11repl.jpeg

alright now that's a really interesting drive train concept... with FWD-AWD it'll probably be a monster in the rain.

Last edited:
That motherfucker needs every one of its horsie powers to outrun its own ugly.

Makes sense though - you're only really using full power when not turning anyway. It'll lose some time on corner exit, but they're all going so easy there anyway to try to double or triple stint their tyres to save time overall.
This could be a really smart move by Nissan.

That motherfucker needs every one of its horsie powers to outrun its own ugly.

Makes sense though - you're only really using full power when not turning anyway. It'll lose some time on corner exit, but they're all going so easy there anyway to try to double or triple stint their tyres to save time overall.
This could be a really smart move by Nissan.

i think it's front engined because they will be running in the 8MJ class, and for that you need all the harvesting you can create
and harvesting works a lot better on front wheels than on the rears...

running 355-wide tires on the front (230 in the back) will also help against the understeer

Last edited:
Front engine prototypes actually have a few benefits over mid engined cars:

The front engine layout of the Panoz LMP means a higher percentage of the overall weight is at the forward end of the car. This has the effect of allowing for more front downforce to be placed on the front axle and therefore larger front tires. The front engine position pushes the driver back to nearly inline with the rear axle centerline. The beneficial result is that the driver is better positioned in the chassis from a car feedback standpoint.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/panozlmp1.html

Considering the success of the Panoz I am surprised it took this long for someone else to build a front engine LMP.

Last edited:
nissan is weird.

first they spend a shitload of money on the deltawing, a platform that has all the weight, all the balance over the rear wheels
then they come up with an LMP that has all the weight and tranction on the front?

nissan is weird.

first they spend a shitload of money on the deltawing, a platform that has all the weight, all the balance over the rear wheels
then they come up with an LMP that has all the weight and tranction on the front?

It kinda makes sense though. You probably aren't going to beat Audi at their own game, so why not make up your own game with a completely different layout. The unorthodox layout will generate more publicity for being different and also resembles their road cars slightly more.

It will certainly be exciting to see what kind of pace they can make with it.

making an lmp1 deltawing would make more sense if you ask me...

How would an LMP1 Delta Wing differ from the previous incarnation? The current LMP1 regulations allow for nothing like the Delta Wing.

nissan is weird.

And dont forget electrical ZEOD RC, wich propably was very expensive (and then some), lasted six(!) laps and broke down.

I think this is brilliant, and makes a lot of sense for Nissan. A radical concept like this is bound to get them more publicity than a conventional LMP car would, and it is propably going to be an awful lot cheaper than creating a conventional LMP car and developing it to a point where it would beat Audi, Porsche and Toyota. Also, the more I read about the reasoning behind the concept the more I believe in it, it'll be really interesting to see how the concept works in real world.

You couldn't, the rules would not allow anything like it. The weight rules alone would destroy the whole concept.

And dont forget electrical ZEOD RC, wich propably was very expensive (and then some), lasted six(!) laps and broke down.

I doubt it was that expensive. It had no competition so it was simply a matter of taking a design (which in itself was based on Deltawing) and make it work. Mind you, I doubt it was what you'd call 'cheap', but in relative terms I recon they got a pretty good bang for their buck.

Was just about to post this. Absolutely awesome that they show this.

The kers harvesting sounds a bit like the Audi flywheel

Strange to see flames on top of the bonnet :cool: