Nissan Murano Engine Seized At 15K!

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
... owner (female) wonders if oil changes are important, since she never did any:

http://www.nissanforums.com/truck-suv/142504-nissan-murano-engine-sludge.html

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano, I brought it for my 15k service and was told over the phone I had sludge in the engine & they recommended a flush which I let them do... after that the car has been burning oil, then stopped running, now they say they it's due to ENGINE SLUDGE and they will not cover it under warrantee because of no maintenance records...they will charge me $1700 to fix... how can a car with 16k miles, brand new just DIE from sludge and then they don't even want to fix it!!!!
????

No I did not change the oil, it was just an oversight, but I don't think this should result in a total breakdown of a brand new engine, or give Nissan a reason not to honor a warranty. I have *never* in my life had a repair of this expense even on a 10 yr. old vehicle with 100k miles on it and I have maintained all of my cars the same way. The service man at the dealership told me he sees this ALL the time in the Murano & 350z-- they have the same engine. I hope there will be a class action law suit.

Read the entire thread at the URL above. And yes, the owner is a WOMAN.

This woman is too stupid to own a vehicle.

Just run a bag full of sand through the intake and it'll run like new again. ;)

Wow! Just wow! Stories like these make me afraid to buy used cars. But I guess one redeeming thing about this incident is that she didn't lie about maintenance that wasn't done. I have a sinking suspicion that a previous owner did that with my Disco.

No I did not change the oil, it was just an oversight, but I don't think this should result in a total breakdown of a brand new engine, or give Nissan a reason not to honor a warranty. I have *never* in my life had a repair of this expense even on a 10 yr. old vehicle with 100k miles on it and I have maintained all of my cars the same way. The service man at the dealership told me he sees this ALL the time in the Murano & 350z-- they have the same engine. I hope there will be a class action law suit.

:censored: :wall: It's people like this....

some moron said:
The service man at the dealership told me he sees this ALL the time in the Murano & 350z-- they have the same engine. I hope there will be a class action law suit.

Wrong! For the four years I have worked at a Nissan dealership, I will run down how many engines were replaced in either a Murano or 350Z. Here goes:

Okay, so in this case the woman is an idiot who thinks the only thing a car requires for the duration of its life is gasoline. But aren't they required to honour the warranty regardless of the services you've done (or not done) to the car?

I guess oil changes are crucial, but a lot of manufactures say things like the warranty will be void if you don't have the dealer do the scheduled maintenance or don't do exactly what the manufacturer recommends.

For instance, Lexus charges hundreds of dollars for an oil change, because a) it's Lexus and b) they tack on a lot of useless shit (e.g. they test drive your car each time, they visually inspect this or that). When the time comes I will be going next door to the Toyota dealer and having them change my oil and filter, and nothing else... so should Lexus have a right to refuse my warranty if something breaks?

I dunno, just a thought. This woman is dumb, but so are most of the stealerships with their borderline scam and evil plots to take people's hard-earned money. Jiffy Lube will change your oil for $50... it's pretty much criminal for a dealership to charge 8 times more for the same service. I'd rather they didn't put a stupid bottle of water and copy of Vancouver Sun in there. :rolleyes:

Engines need oil to survive, who would have thought?

Shawn : Most manufacturers can choose not to honour warranty if the factory maintenance schedule has not been followed. Unfortunately this is due to extreme ignorance or deliberate mistreatment of new cars by some owners. You can kill pretty much any car within a few minutes if you try hard enough.

Last edited:
Man, I think I might become a forum member there just to tell her how much of an idiot she is :lol: I do own a Nissan, afterall ;)

People like this should be banned from ever owning a motorized vehicle. Seriously, do the world a favour, take the bus, a cab, a bicycle...then again, you'll probably find away to screw that up, too.

And $1,700? She got off easy.

Anyone read a bit further into the thread? It gets scarier:
Reply: Wheres your man at? he should be taking care of that stuff for you!!
OP: Ha! He knows even LESS about this stuff than I do!

Now, what's that word I'm looking for? Oh, yes: emasculating :lol:

But aren't they required to honour the warranty regardless of the services you've done (or not done) to the car?
Certainly not. Oil changes are downright common sense. You can't expect a manufacturer to pay for an expensive repair solely due to your own negligence and stupidity.

For instance, Lexus charges hundreds of dollars for an oil change, because a) it's Lexus and b) they tack on a lot of useless shit (e.g. they test drive your car each time, they visually inspect this or that). When the time comes I will be going next door to the Toyota dealer and having them change my oil and filter, and nothing else... so should Lexus have a right to refuse my warranty if something breaks?
Well, since Lexus is Toyota, no :p

If something "breaks" because of work you had done at another shop, it's that shop's responsibility to own up to it. If they don't, that's what small claims court is for.

Oh, and you pay to get your oil changed? It ain't rocket science: drain, new filter, fill, done.

Last edited:
And btw, I signed on to this forum looking for some friendly advice-- had I known I was gonna get my ass chewed out I would have just called my dad...

She should have went on NICOclub.com. :lol:

Don't know about the states, but in OZ so long as your scheduled maintenance is done by a licenced mechanic its fine. Although if you have your maintenance done by the dealer it may make things easier if something does go wrong.

Damn, epp_b, struck a nerve did it? (read the post on that Nissan forum, fellas, for an idea of the fire in his belly)

The mechanic I take my car to rebuilt a Lexus engine last year (don't remember the model, sorry). Said engine had also a problem with sludge, his engine died after 65,000 miles. He never changed the oil, only topped it, and the engine managed to survive for all that mileage and many years. I was very impressed.

It seems I am the only one that think 15k miles isn't THAT far to go??? Service intervals of 20,000km (12,000+miles) are common these dayasand sure during the first bit of its life cars need a couple of oil changes, why didn't the dealer ring this lady and say her car is due for a key service? Failure to complete this service would void the warranty.

It seems I am the only one that think 15k miles isn't THAT far to go??? Service intervals of 20,000km (12,000+miles) are common these dayasand sure during the first bit of its life cars need a couple of oil changes, why didn't the dealer ring this lady and say her car is due for a key service? Failure to complete this service would void the warranty.
Why would they call her up asking her if she needed her oil changed? Most people don't go to their dealer to get their oil changed...

^ True, but most dealers still either call you or send you a reminder about your scheduled maintenance, Heck, my Acura dealer even went ahead and pre-booked an appointment, then sent out a letter, and the onus was on the owner to call and cancel if you go elsewhere for your services.

They usually go by the monthly period... i.e. when they say 8,000km or 6 months, so they send them out by guessing when you're due for service.

Stupid women! Only kidding;) It does seem that women are generally more negligent towards cars though. Like when my mum was stressed she scratched the tailgate of our Kia Carens (you can tell I didn't have any input with what car to buy!) and the spot has rusted up really badly now. She denies she did it! As well as never cleaning the car, all the sills have alge on them and stuff, horrible!

^ True, but most dealers still either call you or send you a reminder about your scheduled maintenance, Heck, my Acura dealer even went ahead and pre-booked an appointment, then sent out a letter, and the onus was on the owner to call and cancel if you go elsewhere for your services.

They usually go by the monthly period... i.e. when they say 8,000km or 6 months, so they send them out by guessing when you're due for service.

She probably just ignored them or figured they were just ads.

My Nissan was originally bought in another state hundreds of miles away - but since I took it to a local dealership for the October Car Care Clinic (Nissan dealers have a special where once a year they will inspect and give your Nissan the once-over for FREE - which this idiot woman never used), Nissan sends me nice little notes or postcards every three months reminding me that I should have my truck serviced, and lists the local dealers. Rather amusing since the truck is now 18 years old, but it also speaks to their confidence in the product: "We're sure the truck is still running despite the fact that it has 232,000 miles, we just want to make sure it keeps running."

My local Jaguar dealer does much the same thing, but it's through the dealership and not through the regional/national marque offices. I know other Jag dealerships often don't do this.

When I had my Jeep Grand Wagoneer or Ford F-150, I never got service offers or reminders. All I got was ads from the dealership asking me to trade in the old heaps.

However, I've never heard of a dealership phoning the owner of a car to remind them that they should have the car serviced.

Last edited:
However, I've never heard of a dealership phoning the owner of a car to remind them that they should have the car serviced.

Calling is common in Canada for this reason. I know Jim Pattison Toyota call with a recorded message to remind about scheduled servicing... and I have a sneaking suspicion the voice is actually Jimmy Pattison himself. :)

I don't mind the reminders if I had the warranty period free servicing, but I don't and I will be going to Toyota as I said. I've read that Toyota stocks the IS oil filter, which is frankly unsurprising. :lol:

I know my brother's Ford dealship calls him to remind him about his new Focus, but perhaps that's because we've bought 3 Explorers and his Focus there over the years.
I posted, made a bit of a hash of it (it was like midnight. I was tired) but I think I successfully made the point I was trying to get across.

This reminds me of someone else who drives his parent's Murano around and constantly fucks it up and refuses to take responsibility for his actions or admit fault. Hmmmmm now who could that be?