Nissan Murano Engine Seized At 15K!

Stupid women! Only kidding;) It does seem that women are generally more negligent towards cars though. Like when my mum was stressed she scratched the tailgate of our Kia Carens (you can tell I didn't have any input with what car to buy!) and the spot has rusted up really badly now. She denies she did it! As well as never cleaning the car, all the sills have alge on them and stuff, horrible!

can agree there, my mother has no mechanical sympathy at all.

she managed to crack the steering assembly/frame/whatever this stuffs mounted on by continually holding the steering on the stop every time she went full lock

the term pinch an inch was not something she was aware of.

the powersteering pump basically damaged some major steering components. this was on our renault scenic RX4 we had.... covered by warranty thank god.

Last edited:
I don't get the fact that she gets so worked up and goes all "well Nissan should pay for that"

3750 miles isn't THAT long, but don't Nissans have service interval indicator thingies that start flashing and beeping as in "please service me"?

The Murano, like most of the lower-level cars from Nissan and other makers, doesn't have a maintenance-needed light or indicator. They figure you might be smart enough to figure it out.

The only notable exceptions to this are Honda with their Accord (don't think the Civic has one). Once you get out of the lower and midpriced cars into the luxury segment, you see more service indicators. You also see them in GM trucks.

I'm really surprised by the fact that Nissan recommends oil changes every 3750miles.
Audis or VWs with longlife service can cover about TEN TIMES that distance before needing any service.

One thing I've noticed is that Japanese engines tend to need servicing more often. It probably has something to do with their high-strung nature.

Aside from the performance car engines, Japanese cars tend to make higher peak power for their displacement than the European ones. Japanese engines tend to rev higher to make their power. Of course, they cost less too which means money needs to be saved somewhere..

Its possible, and I'm no mechanical engineer, that using cheaper parts / engineering and running them through higher stress would make the engines more sensitive to oil changes.

While I don't advocate going 15,000 miles between oil changes, honestly, I have to say it is disappointing to think that it would cause an engine failure.

Steve

I just realised the factory intervals for oil change in my car are 30.000kms or 18750miles... LOL

But atleast I know that the first oilchange after 1000 miles or so is the most important one of all

The Murano, like most of the lower-level cars from Nissan and other makers, doesn't have a maintenance-needed light or indicator. They figure you might be smart enough to figure it out.

I don't know about the earlier ones, but my Murano has a readout for oil change at every 3500 miles and tire rotations at every 7000 miles.

Do people normally have their car serviced and inspected at their dealership? It just seems easier just in case they need to pull up service records for something.

Do people normally have their car serviced and inspected at their dealership? It just seems easier just in case they need to pull up service records for something.

I did when it was under warranty, as a precaution (they were actually competatively priced for the most part). As soon as the warranty expired I started doing most of the stuff myself.

Love the metaphors:

epp_b said:
http://www.nissanforums.com/1218956-post21.html
Do not start a class-action lawsuit. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Do not add yourself to the growing number of lowlife simians on this planet who pin blame on others for a lack of willingness to take responsibility for their own actions. Just don't.

Now, someone, anyone that has a forum account there, just please!

Fueler said:
http://www.nissanforums.com/1219230-post27.html
This kind of thing happens all the time. As a tow truck driver, ive seen it all. She mentioned that she owned a GTI with no problems - however i've seen plenty of new Volkwagens with seized engines before 10k miles!! Same with Audi and all the other Euro junk! They make some of the worst engines in my opinion. But it gives tow truck drivers good business so it's not all that bad!

What the hell is he smoking? Only reason my Audi dead/dying is because the last owner fucked it. Europe makes the best vehicles ever made. Only reason the Asian cars are more popular are due to price, but I have been hearing new Toyotas are rubbish! :p

He obviously isn't what he says he is, unless he only tows dumb rich blondes.
Also, what does that have to do with a car made in Japan called a Nissan?

Last edited:
Down here in Texas and the Southern states where it's usually above freezing (unlike New Yawk) most of the year, VAG cars do NOT hold up. They don't deal with the heat we have down here as well as their competition.

I don't know what VAG was thinking, but the stuff they make in Mexico and South America and then import to the US is pretty bad.

By the way, your PO may not have actually screwed up the car. I've seen a lot of "babied" Audis die here in Texas.

Well the reason I say the previous owner ruined it was because I have about 5 people I know that have some type of Audi and they have not one problem with it. I have a few electrical problems, oil pan scrapes easy, (but then again where I live its got some holes,) heater core went, and now, (tonight,) tranny went.

The only time I have seen an Audi have the same problem was when there was a oil pan below it, due to a scrape in the pan. Weren't Audis rally cars one time? I would think they would make sure this wouldn't happen but then again I do drive hard on dirt roads to see if the Quattro can save me. -And soo many times it has :)

3750 miles, now that I check it, is a bit low.

The recommended service interval for my 350Z (which has the same engine but in a higher state of tune) is 6250 miles or 6 months.

I would have thought a Murano, with its less powerful tune and probably less performance-oriented drivers, would have at least the same interval.

I think the 350Z comes with synthetic oil from the factory, though. I'm pretty sure the Murano doesn't.

That could be it.

However, when I took my car to a Nissan stealership for servicing they recommended full synthetic, rather than insisting on it.

And, to be quite honest, I don't think they used it after they sold it to me or the stuff they used was rubbish. When I took my car to a performance workshop for servicing and switched from Nissan's "Mobil 1" to Motul 300V Chrono, I noticed a big difference in the engine's behaviour. Especially at the end of the interval. I once took my own Motul oil and told them to use it, and it didn't behave the same way as when I took the car to the other workshop and watched them pour it in myself.

Hey, its the sad truth, almost all dealerships are trying to well.... uhh, you know, steal!