Rumour Mill: Nissan's 370Z To Be Replaced With '400Z' Sports Car With Up To 475bhp

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
CarThrottle/Autocar said:
The latest batch of news is more positive, however. According to Autocar, an all-new model to replace the ageing 370Z has been given “the green light,” and yes, it’ll be a proper coupe and not some jacked-up soft-roader.

Power will come from the 3.0-litre twin-turbo V6 used in the likes of the Infiniti Q50 and Q60, with an anticipated output similar to the 399bhp state of tune it enjoys in those cars. That’d be for the standard car, which will go on sale in 2020, but there will be a 475bhp, 451lb ft Nismo version with all-wheel drive, due to arrive in 2021.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nissans-370z-to-be-replaced-with-400z-sports-car-with-up-to-475bhp/

Sounds promising. I just hope its not ugly...most Japanese automakers are really trying too hard and the result is fugly (looking at you Toyota/Lexus). That Nismo version is going to probably almost rival the GTR on just pure acceleration with less weight. Should be exciting. :)

Having just rented a Q50 last week out of LAX, that 3.0L is excellent.

The 3.0L does have good performance, but, I'm sure everyone here will know by now my disdain for smaller engines with turbos. Would of rather of seen a large displacement naturally aspirated V6 or a supercharged V6 under the bonnet...but meh at least the 3.0L TT is stupid powerful for what you get and I'd rather have that car even with that engine over pretty much any other Asian or European coupe around its price range.

Well the Z was never a big engine car and it has quite a bit of turbo lineage so in this particular case I'm actually not bothered. Also I am OK with having a decently sized motor with turbos, a 3.0 should have enough pull down low to not be very peaky like my 1.8T in the A4 was.

I would love to see the Z go back to it's roots and be a lightweight sports car again. With the Toyota Supra making a return, could this be Round 2 of one of the greatest eras of Japanese sports cars? Personally, with the engine being a 3.0, calling it the 400Z is a little strange. It's a V6 with twin turbos, why not revive the 300ZX nameplate?

I think X denoted a more GT style car so I don't think they would bring the X back but it could be a 300Z, OTOH it would be confusing to go back in numbers

Not confusing

"I have a 300ZX, what do you have?"
"A 370Z, eat it sucker!"

Which is how you end up with the BMW 330i (2.0t) and the Mercedes E500 (some random v6)