Ownership Verified: Nitrous Blue 2018 Focus RS

That is seriously blue! Awesome :D

I so very much wish that we didn't need front numberplates here in Europe ... And the rest of the world, I guess :D

That is seriously blue! Awesome :D

I so very much wish that we didn't need front numberplates here in Europe ... And the rest of the world, I guess :D

AFAIK, Quebec is the only Canadian province where we do not have a front plate, yay!

Over time the average fuel consumption has improved a lot, it is now 12.89 l/100km (18.25 US MPG/21.91 UK MPG).

For reference, the Subaru averaged 11.85 l/100km over its lifetime.

Today was the first proper snow day of the season. When I saw the streets covered in the white stuff this morning, I actually felt sad that I was working from home.

The reality is that on the day of the first proper snow fall, it is better to avoid rush hour traffic, since the collective driving-IQ, already low at the best of times, goes even further south. Couple that with people who are still on summer tires (legal limit to run summer tires is November 30th)...

In the end, I decided to go pick-up some lunch at a local sandwich chain, and got to play with the RS in the snow for a few minutes without too much traffic.

Still found 2 idiots.

IMG_20201125_113214d835b1e803a1fe5d.jpg

You install some proper snow tires on the RS?

You install some proper snow tires on the RS?

In Canada it comes from Ford with 2 sets of wheels, 19" forged on Michelin Cup 2, and 18" on Michelin Pilot Alpin (a winter tire).

Everything is a winter tire if you try hard enough!

2 small issues have appeared on the car.

The foam that goes around the windshield is not glued properly in one spot, and is now visible where it shouldn't be. That started last winter.

IMG_20201214_091215321a1acfaddfc035.jpg

IMG_20201214_091149bb2cb69f19028fbe.jpg

And the gasket that goes around the rear left door is broken and coming off. That started earlier this summer.

IMG_20201214_084206abb3ed9591c64f31.jpg

I brought up both issues on the phone when I took an appointment for a regular service.

The dealership confirmed the issues at the service, and for issue #1, they had to take pictures and make a request to proceed with Ford Canada. No big deal. They ordered the part for issue #2.

Fast forward a few weeks to today, they've received the part, so I have an appointment for issue #2, but still no answers for #1.

Show up at my appointment, and after waiting ½ hour, I learned that they received the wrong part :wall:

They also checked the other doors, and found another one that starting to show a similar problem.

So I started the day with 2 problems, was expecting to finish with 1, I now have 3.

I already had Torque Pro and FORScan Lite to monitor OBD2 labels, but today I got another one made specifically for the RS to monitor the TPMS and AWD data with a nice UI (why did Ford not make something to monitor this in the center display or in the entertainment center?).

Screenshot_20201215-121140~2.jpg

The TPMS info page also has temperature info for all tires, and battery and alternator health information.

Screenshot_20201228-104646~2.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20201223_172625fd863563d65fba9f.jpg

Last night my wife needed to run a quick errand, but my car was in front of hers, and we had perfect AWD weather.

So I volunteered to drive her, and got the whole family (including the dog) in for the drive to the shopping mall.

After we dropped off my wife, I drove around looking for a parking spot, and when I needed to turn around, I did a quick 180° drift.

At that point, my youngest daughter was asleep, and the oldest one awake, holding the dog, all 3 of them sitting in the back.

As I was reversing into a spot, mini-rdk#1 said "That was fun, why don't you just keep sliding around instead of parking?"

So, we started off again, and I found a nice empty section of the parking lot, and had some more fun.

Apparently while my oldest daughter liked it, the dog didn't. As for the youngest one, she didn't even wake up.

Finally I parked the car, and at that point, mini-rdk#1 said "I guess it's better we keep this a secret and don't tell Mommy..." :LOL:

I guess I raised her right.

Last edited:
Finally I parked the car, and at that point, mini-rdk#1 said "I guess it's better we keep this a secret and don't tell Mommy..." :LOL:

I guess I raised her right.

hahahaha brilliant! :D

When Carlo was very little (I think around 2 years old) he was upset and crying because we were returning home and he's been in the backseat for a few hours, so he was tired and wanted to arrive home.
We are at a stoplight and suddenly a Ferrari F360 stops beside us and he immediatelly stops crying and just stares ar the red car. As soon as the light turns green the guy in the Ferrari launches it and he just stretches his neck trying to see where it is going. He was silent until we got home. :LOL:

A few years later, we went to a car museum that has exotic car rentals too. A guy drives by in a yellow Gallardo and the noise startles him, but he is very intrigued by the car. On our way home, he falls asleep and starts mumbling. I nearly pissed myself laughing when I heard him mumble "Dad, get the keys to the yellow one..."

Fast forward a few years more: we drive by the Porsche dealership, and they have a white Carrera GT for sale. A few minutes later he asks me "Why didn't we buy one of those instead of the car we have now?" :sneaky:

2 small issues have appeared on the car.

The foam that goes around the windshield is not glued properly in one spot, and is now visible where it shouldn't be. That started last winter.

IMG_20201214_091215321a1acfaddfc035.jpg

IMG_20201214_091149bb2cb69f19028fbe.jpg

And the gasket that goes around the rear left door is broken and coming off. That started earlier this summer.

IMG_20201214_084206abb3ed9591c64f31.jpg

I brought up both issues on the phone when I took an appointment for a regular service.

The dealership confirmed the issues at the service, and for issue #1, they had to take pictures and make a request to proceed with Ford Canada. No big deal. They ordered the part for issue #2.

Fast forward a few weeks to today, they've received the part, so I have an appointment for issue #2, but still no answers for #1.

Show up at my appointment, and after waiting ½ hour, I learned that they received the wrong part :wall:

They also checked the other doors, and found another one that starting to show a similar problem.

So I started the day with 2 problems, was expecting to finish with 1, I now have 3.

Exactly 1 month later, it's fixed :banana:

Hopefully it will last.

Looking forward to a snow storm this weekend, I need to find excuses to go driving in the snow.

A fresh 10 cm of new snow today made for super slippery conditions when I went to pickup my girls at school tonight.

Also played the fuel bingo pretty tight, with 7 km range when I left my place :LOL:

An input error got me scared when I entered my fill up, returning an average of over 20l/100km. After correction, it turned out to be a much more reasonable 16.26l/100km :blink:

IMG_20210202_164731344eb6573c5ff862.jpg

Today I reinstalled the summer tire/wheel combo.

While the outside of PSC2 shows between 2.55 and 3.30mm of thread, the inside seems to be in much worst shape.

So I will need to start shopping for PS4Ss this week.

IMG_20210417_155448f556eb71b1707ec7.jpg

IMG_20210417_15471798fe0f27fbea45bb.jpg

And of course after putting the PSC2 back on, this happened yesterday:

IMG_20210422_08071004dcb7ded06b3caa.jpg