No 56K: BMW S 1000 RR now available for pre-order at $13,800

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Sweet. I don't like the asymmetrical headlights, they look really weird, the asymmetrical panels are really sexy though. The ABS system is really cool, and very light, but as with everything BMW, very $$$$.

BMW S 1000 RR now available for pre-order at $13,800

"We intend to take the four Japanese head-on. We did not intend to build a motorcycle like Ducati does or KTM does. We wanted to build a mainstream motorcycle." There were a number who doubted Pieter de Waal, Vice President of BMW Motorrad USA, when he uttered that sentiment back in April regarding the company's new S 1000 RR, but it seems the Bavarian motorcycle manufacturer has come through on its promise of attractive pricing for its latest superbike.

With a base price of $13,800, the new S 1000 RR is within spitting distance of the Yamaha R1, Suzuki GSX-R1000, Kawasaki ZX-10R and Honda CBR1000RR, which is the most expensive of the Japanese literbikes at $12,999 (plus $1,000 for ABS). As a refresher, the new Beemer ? which puts out 193 horsepower at 13,000 RPM, 82.5 lb-ft of torque at 9,750 RPM and weighs 455.3 pounds with a full tank of gas ? boasts the best power-to-weight ratio of any bike in its class.

Naturally, there are desirable options that can quickly move the bike away from the bargain category, including a package that adds ABS brakes and traction control for $1,480. Click past the break for the complete rundown.

[Source: BMW]

PRESS RELEASE:

BMW MOTORRAD ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR S 1000 RR

Woodcliff Lake, NJ ? July 15, 2009... BMW Motorrad USA has announced that the long-awaited S 1000 RR sport bike ? expected to arrive in U.S. dealerships in December -- will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $13,800. A Pre-Sale Program is currently under way through December 31, 2009 to ensure that interested customers can secure themselves a place in line when the bike arrives in US dealerships in early 2010. Interested consumers should visit their local dealer or www.BMWPlanetPower.com for more information on the Pre-Sale program.

"We have had tremendous interest in this bike since it was first unveiled in Monza earlier this year," commented Todd Andersen, Marketing Manager, BMW Motorrad USA. "The S 1000 RR represents an entirely new dimension for BMW Motorrad and the sport bike segment. At this price, we expect a significant number of customers to take advantage of our Pre-Sale program. In fact, all of our first month's production has already been sold through this program."

Options for the S 1000 RR are available at the following prices:
Motorsports Paint Scheme: $750
Race ABS: $1,000
Race ABS & Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) $1,480
Gear Shift Assistant: $450
Anti Theft Alarm: $395

BMW launched the most anticipated new sport bike in recent history, the S 1000 RR, at the famed Monza racetrack, in Italy, during the Superbike World Championship race weekend on May 9, 2009. The S 1000 RR, weighing only 404 lbs and delivering a massive 193 hp, is one of the most potent, sophisticated and lightest sport bikes ever produced. It holds the distinction of being the most powerful production 1000cc sport bike in the world.

In addition to the class-leading power plant, the BMW S 1000 RR possesses new technical features, such as the first-ever four-stage Race ABS system with settings for Rain, Sport, Race and Slick conditions. The groundbreaking new ABS system weighs only about 5.5 lbs complete -- nearly 20 lbs lighter than the competition.

With its highly distinctive new asymmetrical headlights, which follow the very elegant and unique asymmetrical panels, this first BMW Superbike promises to standout from the crowd of liter-class bikes.

The production version of the S 1000 RR was officially unveiled in the U.S. at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah during WSBK races, during the last weekend of May. Following its U.S. unveiling, BMW's official S 1000 RR ambassadors, have been traveling to dealerships across the nation for special S 1000 RR presentations, track days and dealer events during the Pre-Sale Program.

For blogs, S 1000 RR events, images, tech specs, and news and about the new BMW S 1000 RR, visit the exclusive S 1000 RR microsite http://www.bmwplanetpower.com.
The site provides links to other key websites, including:
* S 1000 RR Official Web Site at www.S1000RR.com
* BMW Motorrad Motorsports at http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/motorsports/motorsport_main.html
* BMW XPLOR Rider Community at www.bmwxplor.com
* BMW Motorrad USA at www.bmwmotorcycles.com

bmw_s_1000_rr_13.jpg

bmw_s_1000_rr_08.jpg

bmw_s_1000_rr_06.jpg

bmw_s_1000_rr_26.jpg

bmw_s_1000_rr_15.jpg

bmw_s_1000_rr_04.jpg

bmw_s_1000_rr_16.jpg

bmw_s_1000_rr_21.jpg

For 13800, I'd rather have this

799px-BMW_M3_E36_purple.jpg

At least it has a roof.

I was waiting for this. I wonder if it'll be decent. At least, better than their world superbike. :p

Ugh, I hate BMW's stupid asymetrical headlights, it already looks ridiculous on the GS's. It looks like you're riding this dude ffs! -> :blink:
And on this, it's only worse... :|

Last edited:
I really like the design of this bike for some reason (not necessarily the headlights, but the other parts)

What's with the assymetric headlights?

It's an inherited flaw in BMW's gene code apparently, since more and more new BMWs are born with this deficiency.

PS:
It just came to my mind that my Beemer actually made this bike possible! Really! Since it was the first chain driven Beemer ever, without its important pioneer work this bike would've never been possible! :p

I'd rather not have it in the colour of piss.

Those headlights really aren't very nice. But the side profile is great!

It's a joke that it costs 14,000$ in the US and 16,0000? aka 22000$ in Germany.

Oh yeah, just noticed that the $ is absolutely worthless now as a foreign currency. But still, come on. Afterall BMW has to export it to the US and thats usually were exchange rates become important.

For 13,800, I demand symmetrical headlights.

BMW - Asymmetric design rarely works, and especially not on a motorbike.

Besides the headlights it's completely awesome.

If someone said "here have this for free" then I wouldn't complain :)

It's a joke that it costs 14,000$ in the US and 16,0000? aka 22000$ in Germany.

Oh yeah, just noticed that the $ is absolutely worthless now as a foreign currency. But still, come on. Afterall BMW has to export it to the US and thats usually were exchange rates become important.
Prices, especially for cars and bikes (apart from taxes wich are also a big influence) usally are not made to be equal around the world. Prices are much more made in the way that they go "for how much can we still sell this - no matter what it costs us to produce". BMW thinks they can sell that Bike for 8k more over here than in the states, so they WILL make us pay 8k more for it. On the buisness side ... they?d be stupid if they wouldn?t do it this way ...

As for the bike ... BMWs without the classic 2cyl boxer might be better than the boxers ... but for me, only the ones with boxers are cool bikes. This IMO is just a run of the mill superbike like there are already a bazillion on the roads. That one might as well say Honda on the side ... do something the others don?t or leave it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RICLEU7kK3Y[/YOUTUBE]

"Do not put a motorcycle on the board!"

Carry on.

As for the bike ... BMWs without the classic 2cyl boxer might be better than the boxers ... but for me, only the ones with boxers are cool bikes.

So for you this is cooler than the bike in the OP? I'm just curious.