No 56K: Official Pics and Stats of Mercedes, SL65 AMG Black Series

Here in Germany, Mercedes Benz's are only driven by total squares. 55year olds who drive around with their wife going 70kmh in the 80 zone, and if they live next to you will call the police if you're listening to loud music.

Except.... not this car.
It's, simply put, a MONSTER.

Sure, it's not as beautiful as an Alfa Romeo, or an Aston Martin, or a Maserati.... but just look at it. If the Alfa Romeo 8C is the Keira Knightley (to use JC's words) of cars, than this is the Arnold Schwarzenegger of cars, the John Rambo of cars. The kind of car you don't want pissed at you.

Wheel arches and spoilers like that on any car would have me thinking - ricer. (Or in Germany - Russians). But on a SL65? Amazing

Video:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76DgyurNwVc[/YOUTUBE]

You can actually here that thing slicing through the air like a rocket! Lots of tyre noise...not that I care :p

The only Mercedes I've ever looked at and gone "holy freakin' shit". I love it.

Fuck me that's awesome... although it needs to keep it's folding roof, I know it adds weight blah blah blah... but come on, the top down in that would be amazing.

I still hate the new SL facelift, but the overall agressive treatment of the Black series version takes away from the front end ugliness...still its no beauty.

Its just so purposefully aggressive. I don't think its pretty, far from it, its just intimidating.

I don't really know what to make of the Black Series cars. As much as I love the DTM-ish styling and awesome engine notes, they're still to luxurious for my taste. Wake me up when they make an SLK Black with a proper gearbox.

Edit: I'm up! Still just a sludgebox though...

Last edited:
I like the CLK that Clarkson tested better, but both of them are just absurdly R rated. I love the name too, Black Series. Sounds evil...perfect.

Both the top speed and the 0-60mph time are pretty disappointing considering the power this thing has. Also for a 2-seater coupe, it's pretty heavy.

I agree.

These figures were ok for the bigger Mercs, but this is a two seater coupe with 660hp. This is Ferrari and Lamborghini territory and this seems a lot slower than the Italian.
I am sure it will be a very fun and insane car to drive, but I still think with that much power it should've been faster.

Fuck me that's awesome... although it needs to keep it's folding roof, I know it adds weight blah blah blah... but come on, the top down in that would be amazing.

That's exactly my point with the Black Series as a whole... they're just doing away with what these cars were about in the first place, and replacing them with some crazy, but in no way unique, track cars.

I mean, the SL is and has always been all about the convertible-ness of it. Okay, the SL55 and 65 provide lots of power if that's your thing, but you're still getting a S-Class in convertible guise.

I really don't get who is going to buy into the new Merc BS lineup... people who would care for such a monstrosity will probably never even consider a Mercedes.

I guess Mercedes is just trying to reinvent itself as a sporty German marque, more akin to BMW... but that's the problem, people who like Mercedes are mostly old geezers.

This is the best looking Merc since the early 90s/late 80s. Now if only their quality from that era will return as well.

Even with those horrible headlamps it looks fantastic! Best body kit since the late model Countachs!

MENTAL!!!!!!! Looks wise simply amazing.

HOWEVER I feel they used the wrong SL. They should have used the 63. There are a few reasons

1. Lighter. That V12 with associated hardware would weigh an enormous amount.

2. Better noise. The V12 sounds like a vacuum cleaner

3. They could have used the new clutched automatic gearbox.

Each Black gets a little closer to perfection. Trouble is they have almost run out of models. Only possibly the C class remains for the treatment.

If you were after something in this vein just buy a second hand CLK-DTM.

This thing is a monster, the thing looks slow in the 0-60, but the stock AMG 63 cars are faster from 200-300 then every Lamborghini. Now imagine what a far more powerful engine will do. As much as I love this car, I would far rather have a ZR-1, GT-R and 911 Turbo since the combined total would be less then this car.

That thing looks truly bad-ass :driving: