No Veyron's for America?

IVIaster said:
Buktu said:
Because people's stupid. Nothing else really. It's just like the morons who drives a MC or a scooter without a helmet.. "Well, a helmet looks stupid", yeah perhaps but whenever i see someone on a scooter without a helmet, my first thought is really "what an idiot". Don't people like their lifes?

And a seatbelt.. You don't even notice wearing it when you're in a car! Much less than you notice a helmet at the very least. How hard can it be?

People?s?
:lmao:

For a car that's not going to be sold here, :) :) somehow I managed to see not one but TWO Veyrons running around Monterey today. Along with a ton of other stuff. About the only notable modern hypercar we didn't see was an Enzo.

Steve

FATMOUSE said:
No, there's a couple of Enzos in the states.

Oh no, not doubting that; and have seen Enzo's before...we just didn't see them today.

If you love exotic cars, Monterey is by far the best place in the world to be this weekend...just drive around and you'll see tons of cool stuff. Enough such that you just see a Ferrari 360 or 575 and don't even bother to waste time looking at it because you want to keep your eyes looking for something really cool.

As my wife said... "oh, just another Gallardo Spyder. How...mundane" :) :)

Steve

zenkidori said:
FATMOUSE said:
No, there's a couple of Enzos in the states.
more than a couple. I know of 4 in this state alone, and that's just from driving around or seeing them parked.

Heck, two Enzos have been smashed up (one likely beyond repair) in the past few months here. Stefan Erikson's (sp) spectacular breaking up of his Enzo down in Malibu, California, and the gentleman in Utah during the charity road rally. The Erikson Enzo looked repairable, but there was a lot of damage to the tub in Utah, compounded by the rescue teams having to cut it open to get the driver and passenger out.

I'm not an expert, but that one looks like any 'repair' would pretty much be a brand new tub bolted up to the old engine and rear subframe.

But again, if you can get to Monterey tomorrow, do so!

Steve

ArosaMike said:
I really can't understand the US car safety regulations. You're actually far more likely to die in an accident if you're not wearing a seatbelt and an airbag goes off than if there's no airbag at all. Why the hell they don't make seatbelts the law I really don't know.

And it's not just a case of sticking in new airbags.

*New mechanism need to be made to fire the things
*New wiring needs to be added
*Sensors have to be installed
*Trim has to be modified to include sensors
*The correct electronics have to be produced
*Everything has to be tested (which will no doubt include another full crash test)
*New moulds, machine tools and machining routines need to be made for all the new parts
*Everything then has to be certified
*New brochures have to be made!

It would probably take at the very least 6 months to fully do this and would probably involve:

*Engineering Design Dept
*Styling Dept
*Electronics Dept
*Testing Dept
*Legal Dept
*Marketing Dept

So you can see where all the money goes....and for small companies like Bugatti, Lotus, Ferrari etc with small car ranges that have little in common it's VERY low return for the investment....and remember 10% of ?900,000 is ?90,000! That's a hell of a price rise even at that level. It may be enough to put some people off.

For more mass produced cars it's a lot easier. Take VW for example. The Polo, Golf, Golf Plus, Jetta, Passat all have the same fundamental steering wheel so the cost is spread over the whole range...and lets face it...crash testing a ?12,000 Golf doesn't really compare to a Veyron. Cost price of a Golf probably ?5,000....cost price of a Veyron....quite possibly as much as ?500,000. There's a lot of high investment machining and costly materials in that thing!

That is not to mention the 120 crash tests, which means you have to prepare 120 cars, which is a lot for the company, considering every veryron is built at a loss

BerserkerCatSplat said:
I don't know a single person who doesn't wear a seatbelt.
actually i know a few people that dont wear seatbelts when seating in the back seat. I still find that a dangerous thing to do.

bartboy9891 said:
BerserkerCatSplat said:
actually i know a few people that dont wear seatbelts when seating in the back seat. I still find that a dangerous thing to do.
At least iits technically legal to not have them on in the back

Read the article and you will know :bangin:
Bugatti could be driven out of business if the supercar manufacturer is forced to comply with new US airbag rules which come into force next month
They are still legal at the moment, but they will not be legal in future.

wooflepoof said:
bartboy9891 said:
BerserkerCatSplat said:
At least iits technically legal to not have them on in the back

Legal or not, it is just plain stupid.
In Brazil, everyone must wear a seatbelt, front seat or back seat.

you give me 1.4 mill and i'll MAKE you one
lol, are you sure about that?

in the veyron race ep of TG Clarkson said that it cost Bugatti 5Million Pounds to make one veyron. and they are a HUGE company. lol itd probably cost you upwards of $8 mil

I'm amazed it counting retro-actively - you'd think it would just be for models to come from now on, Its silly to force it on cars already in production. That hardship argument has legal merit. I'm in law school - anybody know where this is published? I'd like to take a look at the statute / reg / whatever. (I'm in law school)

Seatbelts are the law here in most of the states, if not all of them. That's not the issue. The issue is the goddamn legislation that is more concerned with saving idiots from amazingly unlikely accidents than letting normal people get on with their lives.

And the reason for that is the fact that you can sue any company for anything nowadays in this country. I would imagine that if I shot myself in the face with a shotgun, I could sue the shotgun manufacturer for making it possible for me to do that.

The whole system in this country is designed around the minority of people, the exceptions to the rule, while screwing the rest of us.

Bugatti doesn't need the American market. Not for the Veyron. When they do offshoots, roadsters, saloons and the like then yeah they'll need the mass market.
i guess you don't realize that the u.s., the state of california particularly, is the world's largest market for luxury vehicles and "supercars". the same goes for most other luxury items and the enterainment segments.

so, yeah. bugatti is done for (again) if they can't sell cars in the united states.

lol, are you sure about that?

in the veyron race ep of TG Clarkson said that it cost Bugatti 5Million Pounds to make one veyron. and they are a HUGE company. lol itd probably cost you upwards of $8 mil

A 6 month bump to tell us that we couldn't make a Veyron...

What the fuck do they care if the prize is 10 % higher, they're allready loosing a damned shitload on ever car.

Wait, it's because of the seatbelts, isn't it?

Why not just sell the car in states which require a seatbelt, and not in ones that don't?