Ownership Verified: NooDle’s EV take 2 : The Mullet (Kia EV6)

in that case, I inadvertently followed the code of honour. I've never reset my consumption o meter.
I like to have an overall overview of how I'm doing, all things combined (ridiculous high speed on ze Autobahn included, but also doing 30 kph or long downhill stretches.

Average is 18,5 kwh/100 kms over 41k kms, which seems fair, given I mostly do highway work...

Yeah, and I keep stats in Teslamate on mine too, for example, this is basically since I got the car, I did not have Teslamate set up for about the first 2000km:

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 13.53.38.png

I do tend to drive quite fast and use a lot of pre-heating/cooling.

Unteresting.
No more details than that though, the Kia app gives me just the last month and every drive in absolute detail, which I think would take effort to decrypt/analyze, and I can't be arsed.

Also, I kinda want to buy an OBD port reader à la Teslabjorn so I can nerd out in real time over stats like battery temperature and actual kwhs used and stuff, but then again what do I do with that information? The only time this is really useful is to get to the ideal temperature for a superfast DC charge, and I almost never do that....
And even if it is sub optimal, it goes to 150-180 kw anyway so plenty fast enough for me

- Well, sort of, because of traffic and roadworks stuff I couldn't keep it at topspeed all the time, and regen at 180 kph gives you 120 kw of power back into your battery, but I still managed 32 kwh/100 kms for a 170 km stretch. This meant a total range (at topspeed) of just under 300 kms.
According to Teslabjorn this is incorrect. He got 58 kwh/100 km :blowup:
He drives the GT model with 4wd and a million hp though (which is inherently faster, less efficient, and on bigger tyres).... but still that seems a LOT higher than what I did

Technically my point is moot since my car tops out at 192 while he tested at 200 km/h :dunno:

Well, they’re not lying, technically… if you don’t need them, then they’re basically included for life, right? 🙈

1694272993325.png

The reduction gear fluid needs to be inspected for possible replacement every 32k miles. :p

All joking aside, if that warranty also covers their BEV batteries, Kia has just prevented any Tuomas Katainen situations.

In Belgium we "only" get a 7 year / 200k kms warranty on the battery/drivetrain.
Which is fine, as I'll swap this one in 4 years and 150k kms anyway....

Good news and 2 minor annoyances.
As I'm a pessimist, the bad news first.

1) I have (after 1,5 years of owning it) only now discovered that my car has a third brake light.
See below.

ev6-exterior-rear-view.jpeg

It was my understanding that the cool rear light strip that runs across the ass of the car worked both as a rearlight and a brake light, but it doesn't, only the corner parts light up + an extra strip just below the roofline. This annoys me.

I cannot see why they would do it like this as it's more complex and IMO uglier, but meh.

2) when you use "camp mode" as I do when I'm sitting in the car usually doing work related things, using electricity to power my laptop and AC to cool me down, the "drive" counter keeps counting. Which is weird, since the car is in a special mode that prohibits driving. It should not count towards my drive time IMO?

3) yay, new record. A lot of highway miles at 100 kph + a balmy 24° means that I nearly topped the battery out completely.
I'm sure by careful driving I could probably do 500 kms on a charge, but where's the fun in that?
IMG_3080.jpeg

Also, no I didn't drive ridiculously slowly, the high "drive time" is down to annoyance #2 (I spent around 2 hrs in Camp mode)

I cannot see why they would do it like this as it's more complex and IMO uglier, but meh.
I think the answer here might just be: because they were not allowed to :| If not: missed opportunity for sure!
Which is weird, since the car is in a special mode that prohibits driving. It should not count towards my drive time IMO?
maybe it's a remainder from the ICE-times, where you'd expect the engine to be running if you wanted AC. I have no idea what Tesla does in its trip counter time and I'm too lazy to actively try it out :p If I remember, I'll look for it...

Probably market dependent. It lights up in the States but doesn't seem to function as a brake light there either.

2023-kia-ev6-gt-1699-1669991271.jpg

Car went in for recalls today, and all is well. However, another recall has been found and identified, and it needs (of course) spare parts, which will take some time to get here.
This time it's the driver seat bracket thingy that's loose, which means that your entire seat moves around under heavy acceleration/braking (I'm talking 1-2 cms that it moves forwards).
Not the end of the world, but it is annoying that my car will have to go in for its 4th recall in just over a year time

1) software update because of reasons (done)
2) amplifier for stereo (possibly needed to be swapped, mine turned out okay)
3) switch out all doorhandles because they may go wrong (done)
4) seat bracket needs to be swapped (to do)

Am I wrong in thinking this is a LOT of basic stuff that needs to be fixed on a brand new 55k€ car? (Tesla owners please chime in :p)
I mean I love the car, but it does seem they were really half assing it at the factory. After support is fine I guess, they did help me and gave me a courtesy car even though I didn't ask for one, but the real trouble is the wait for the parts....

all of this makes me regret choosing the "odd one out" instead of getting a VW ID4 like everyone else did, but on the other hand the range, the tech, the driving feel do make up for that stuff....
I guess Kia are not yet ready to take on the business/company car market yet? Thoughts? Am I exaggerating and being a big baby about this?

This time it's the driver seat bracket thingy that's loose, which means that your entire seat moves around under heavy acceleration/braking (I'm talking 1-2 cms that it moves forwards).
a friend of mine with a model 3 had that as well. not a recall, though, just some QC issue on his car (he's not alone with this, though...).
(Tesla owners please chime in :p)
actuall recall I only had the rear camera wiring harness replaced by mobile service here in my driveway. that actually took ages because he had to take half the rear of the car apart for some reason...
apart from that, my drivers side door handle also had an issue where the damper (that slows down the arm before it gets slapped into the door by the spring) fell off (i actually heard it plink plonk down into the door when it happened) and they replaced the door handle on warranty.
instead of getting a VW ID4 like everyone else did
BOOOORING. also: objectively not as good a car imo - maybe less visits to the dealer, fair enough...

All is forgiven, the dealer has already ordered the part and can fix my broken bracket thingy early next week!

In other news, I've switched car chargers again.

Eagle eyed viewers will have spotted that I had a ProDrive model (on test from work).

img_2325-jpeg.3569381

Here's a better picture.

White%20label%20white.png

It's a much smaller (and uglier) little thing than I was used to, but it did the job fine.

Pro
Smaller than the older one
Has a Kwh meter on the outside so you can see your actual consumption in real time (yes this is important for nerds like me)

Con
Extremely flimsy plastic casing
Had a buttload of problems installing it (if you connect it like it says in the manual, it won't work, needs fiddling)
Seperate cable instead of fixed
and the biggest gripe : no AutoCharge (where you can basically just plug it into the car, and be done with it. No card swipe needed)

So atm I'm back to the older (but IMO sturdier, better) model :

630a6de91dd53596b27da7f2a55eeefa.jpg

So atm I'm back to the older (but IMO sturdier, better) model :
ah, the good old new motion pill :D
Seperate cable instead of fixed
yeah that's something just a little annoying about mine as well, but for me mostly a visual issue... I have the option in the app to "always lock cable", which basically turns it into a fixed-cable-charger. had to buy a cable for that separately of course.
no AutoCharge
so you have to go put an rfid tag in front of it every time? that's a bit annoying yeah...

yeah that's something just a little annoying about mine as well, but for me mostly a visual issue... I have the option in the app to "always lock cable", which basically turns it into a fixed-cable-charger. had to buy a cable for that separately of course.

so you have to go put an rfid tag in front of it every time? that's a bit annoying yeah...

Apparently if you do that (always lock the cable into place) it ruins the locking mechanism.
Apparently it does a little check every minute (to see whether it is connected properly), and having it connected all the time means the relay gets worn out extremely quickly. I've had people "wear out" chargers over 1 year due to this. So proceed at your own risk!

With regards to the rfid : yeah, that or get your phone out and start it via the app. Just swiping is faster most of the time (even if you take into account the time to find the wallet/card first)...

Apparently if you do that (always lock the cable into place) it ruins the locking mechanism.
Huh, never heard of that before… interesting.
My locking thing doesn’t do jack shit once the cable is in and locked. No relays clicking, nothing. Which relay would that be, anyway? The actual locking mechanism? What I could imagine is the locking pin getting stuck after being engaged for too long a time, but I do take the cable out every once in a while to prevent that. Plus: the actuator in my charger is of the electromechanical persuasion, rather than a servo motor, so I’m expecting less wear on that front anyway.