Ownership Verified: NooDle’s EV take 2 : The Mullet (Kia EV6)

V2L saves the day! Well kinda.

V2L.jpg

Did a thing for work where we had to entertain some people, give them food & drink ,network, etc.
There was a foodtruck planned with freshly baked sandwiches, coffee, etc, and due to some planning miscommunication there was not enough electricity to run the foodtruck (which we found out on the day itself, when the guy was installing all his stuff).

No problem! Gave the guy the use of both of my plugs (sounds wrong, but is true), and everyone was able to enjoy hot coffee and warm bread due to my car having enough juice to spare.

Even with both plugs being used simultaneously, I never saw more than 3kW being used (oven + coffeemaker + deep fryer)
Spent about 4 hrs as a "battery" and cost me a whopping 5% battery.

v2l2.jpg

Every EV should have this,it's awesome.

This is still something my brain needs readjusting to.

There's a Finnish company called Dynawatt that makes a 230V generator that bolts onto your engine, just like the alternator. The idea obviously is to have 230V without having to deal with a portable generator and the mess that comes with it, having to keep petrol on hand and whatnot. Instead, just keep your engine running and that's that. I would have no problems at all idling my Passat all day and use maybe a quarter tank of diesel in the process. However, having a food truck draining my EV would make me uneasy even if I knew it would only use a couple of percentage points.

However, having a food truck draining my EV would make me uneasy even if I knew it would only use a couple of percentage points.
But… why?* The V2L thing can supply 3.7 kW (I assume) and if we generously round the battery capacity to 74 kWh that gives you 20 hours of full power draw. Which isn’t being taken by the food truck, as we can deduce from the above real world example.
Think about it: even the electric heater in my car can draw nearly double that.

I feel this very nicely shows just how power and energy hungry a car actually is! It’s just not something that is ever put in perspective with a fossil, because you don’t have that direct comparison. But imagine that, running a full food truck for multiple hours on just a few % of the battery that otherwise would’ve driven the car maybe 50 km at best. Insanely wasteful, if you think about it…

* maybe I’m not a good reference in this particular topic, as I just arrived at home from holiday with 6% charge, having last charged two days and multiple shorter trips ago (when the opportunity presented itself).

That's really neat... Imagine integrating your car battery into the solar system at your house and using it to power your house overnight ... The future is coming :D

However, having a food truck draining my EV would make me uneasy even if I knew it would only use a couple of percentage points.

So you're fine with using a quarter tank of diesel but a couple of % of battery stresses you out? Wuh?

V2L used 3,7 kw per outlet max (I have one in the car aswell), which is 7,4 kw total (the foodtruck never got close to this), which means, rounded up, around 10 hrs of usage if I somehow found something that drew the maximum for that long (hint - there is no such thing)

As demonstrated, the heater uses much less than this (around 5 kw to heat up a really cold car, and 1-2 kw to keep it at temperature).
So I have around 40-80 hrs of battery use if I

So it's really the driving part that uses a lot of electricity, calculated the other way around, having hot bread and coffee cost me 20 kms of range. Not really a big deal since I only had to do 100ish kms, and had more than 300 on the guessometer...

also, the place where I was at, had 150 kw fastchargers, so even if I did end up with a dead battery, a couple of minutes on one of those would have gotten me home easily. There really is no such thing as range anxiety anymore, atleast not around here where there's tons of chargers on the highway

You can get electricity from every 230v outlet, those are FAR more widespread than fuel stations.
Sure, it'll take some time to completely fill up, but better slow than none.

Also, Finland has thousands of public chargers, you'll be fine.
You do need a brain adjust

You do need a brain adjust
Easier said than done 😜

Ive more and more started telling people that are skeptical that they should stop overthinking what living with an EV is like from their current behavior, it doesn’t help and is unrealistic - because it’s different than having an ICE and they won’t think of the different EV behaviors by themselves anyway. Huge missed communications opportunity by the entire EV world imo.
Example: „but how long do you need to charge?“ I nowadays just say „about 10 seconds to plug in“ - because it’s different than fueling. Usually people just don’t get that. The whole process of „getting juice“ just doesn’t exist to me anymore… (yes that covers 95%+ of my charging and I can prove it).

All fixed! Double sided tape had come loose, was fixed in 5 minutes with some glue.
But again, it's a quality issue I didn't expect from a moderately expensive and brand new car...

Anyways, it's getting colder now so time for winter tyres soon...

All fixed! Double sided tape had come loose, was fixed in 5 minutes with some glue.
But again, it's a quality issue I didn't expect from a moderately expensive and brand new car...

Anyways, it's getting colder now so time for winter tyres soon...
I might expect them from Tesla, but Kia builds very good cars normally... It's really odd..

V2L saves the day! Well kinda.

View attachment 3570584

Did a thing for work where we had to entertain some people, give them food & drink ,network, etc.
There was a foodtruck planned with freshly baked sandwiches, coffee, etc, and due to some planning miscommunication there was not enough electricity to run the foodtruck (which we found out on the day itself, when the guy was installing all his stuff).

No problem! Gave the guy the use of both of my plugs (sounds wrong, but is true), and everyone was able to enjoy hot coffee and warm bread due to my car having enough juice to spare.

Even with both plugs being used simultaneously, I never saw more than 3kW being used (oven + coffeemaker + deep fryer)
Spent about 4 hrs as a "battery" and cost me a whopping 5% battery.

View attachment 3570585

Every EV should have this,it's awesome.

Agreed, V2L should be a feature made standard in all EVs. A mobile generator on wheels. 👍🏻

That's really neat... Imagine integrating your car battery into the solar system at your house and using it to power your house overnight ... The future is coming :D

Ford is already marketing their F150 Lightning EV truck for exactly that application. Because it comes with a much larger battery pack than most EV cars, they have engineered that feature the truck can be used to temporarily power a home with appropriate hardware adaptor installed in the house during a grid blackout.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but wouldn't that degrade the battery even faster?
This might media bias, but that seems to be a "problem" that keeps being brought up when I read about long-term EV ownership.

If the battery chemistry is chosen from the start with this kind of usage in mind, it's not an issue. This is, however, why Tesla is (currently) opposed to the concept - their in-vehicle packs are optimized for high power delivery and fast charging, but stationary usage with lots of slow low-volume charge/discharge cycles would indeed be harmful long term. On the other hand, Powerwall and other stationary storage batteries are the exact opposite - much lower power density, but excellent longevity under this exact kind of use, due to different cell chemistry. For a vehicle designed from the start with V2H/V2G in mind, something in between can be optimized for, allowing both good power and fast charging for vehicular use as well as high longevity when used in a stationary scenario.

I see.
Thanks!

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but wouldn't that degrade the battery even faster?
tiny niggle from my side... this highlighted part seems to somehow suggest, that you are under the impression that batteries in EVs degrade fast / too fast (without V2GLHwhatever). let me assure you, they do not ;-) ... unless you have a first gen leaf or some crap like that :|

This might media bias, but that seems to be a "problem" that keeps being brought up when I read about long-term EV ownership.
Dunno never really thought of it like that.
I guess it would be similar to driving very very slowly for a very long time? I checked yesterday (because I am an interesting man) and just driving along at 50 kph on cruise control uses about 4-5 kw constantly. So even at peak usage, using the V2L uses far less than pottering along.
People don't realise just how power hungry these cars are, moving a big bulky heavy thing uses many many kws, I don't think a marginal loss would be noticable for the battery?

I think Kia know what they're doing in this regard, as they also offer this battery pack on the GT model with stupid horsepower (585 hp or to put in nerd units, 430 kw). That one discharges at 430 kw and charges at 200+ like mine does, AND also has V2L. So I guess it'll be fine?

tiny niggle from my side... this highlighted part seems to somehow suggest, that you are under the impression that batteries in EVs degrade fast / too fast (without V2GLHwhatever). let me assure you, they do not ;-) ... unless you have a first gen leaf or some crap like that :|
Well, I am under that impression, but then again I am judging the matter without firsthand experience.

Well, I am under that impression, but then again I am judging the matter without firsthand experience.
Yeah batteries ‘wearing out’ isn’t a thing anymore.

Also, yay 50 k kms

IMG_3345.jpeg