Ownership Verified: NooDle’s EV take 2 : The Mullet (Kia EV6)

Boo-urns! The app just lost the ‘prediction’ ability, now just telling me my SoC instead of (x hrs y minutes until full)…. Which renders the app almost completely useless now?

The silly thing is that the car itself does know the time remaining, as well as the ‘live’ charging speed, but you need to unlock it and look at the dashboard. If this info is available, why can’t I see it in the app?

If this is some ploy to sell me ‘upgrades’ through some kind of subscription scheme, I will be very pissed off. Gotten a ‘please read and agree to our new t&c’ popup which apparently mentioned buying upgrades, but how is it an upgrade if it worked (for free) yesterday?

IMG_3373.png

I thought so too at first, but it is version related. My ipad has an older version of the same Kia app and that still shows everything…

I thought so too at first, but it is version related. My ipad has an older version of the same Kia app and that still shows everything…
Ahh the joys of old school car makers trying to do software…

Combined with the fact that the developers probably have zero feel/touch with what the end-user actually needs or wants or even uses the software for.
I’ve experienced this first hand and that’s not only 100% correct but it’s oftentimes even worse (at least for the typical German engineer with their god complex*): they think they know better than the customer.

* “Wartungsfrei” lol right. Also I am myself a German engineer so I feel like I deserve to shit on my fellow engineers…

Could it really be something as silly as this? My VW app did weird things when I drove the eGolf (like requiring a login/password/fingerprint/penis measurement every time you used it, be slow as hell, give weird/false readings) but my Kia app has been pretty much on the money for as long as I've had it.

Sure, I'd like more info like live charging speed, which I know you have Kia, or the ability to have the electricity stats (live consumption, % of drivetrain/aircon/battery conditioning) on the splitscreen.

But I do feel like this is a 'hey waidaminit we can charge these nerds money for extra data lets do that" marketing decision, not an engineer led one.

As it stands now, I don't use the app at all since it has nothing I want (remote opening/locking being maybe the only thing I use when I'm too lazy to go find the keyfob). It's a real shame because the app is a big part of the user experience when driving an EV, and AFAIC only Tesla gets this absolutely right. Their app is quick, easy to use, and very responsive. From what I hear VW's app is getting better, and Nissan's is absolute shit (doesn't work half the time, etc).

Kia's is now looking to be 2nd last if you ask me.
Another thing that bugs me is that the car takes a LONG time to boot up when you start it. You can start driving immediately, but if you want to use the navigation or the audio system you need atleast 30 seconds (I might time this to see how long it actually takes). You also need to agree to some health and safety thing on EVERY startup. This is annoying since I kinda wanna get in it, put in the address of the place I wanna go, and go.

Since I can't do that, I need to enter the address while on the go, which is not ideal/dangerous.

Do Tesla's ever turn "off"? I remember they're kinda always online/in sleep mode, which is part of why they react so quickly to inputs from the app (as opposed to my car who always needs to kind of get out of hibernation mode)

Do Tesla's ever turn "off"? I remember they're kinda always online/in sleep mode, which is part of why they react so quickly to inputs from the app (as opposed to my car who always needs to kind of get out of hibernation mode)
They go into sleep mode - It can take a bit for the app to connect to do some tasks such as enable climate control remotely etc if the car is asleep, but for driving it's literally just open the car and it fires up within a second and you can drive/navigate immediately - The music also instantly plays.

if they're in sleep mode, they'll take a while to actually accept remote commands and there's a very noticeable wakeup delay. sometimes commands do time out because of this, but it usually takes less than 10 seconds (not timed, so i may be completely off here). unless your phone is directly connected via bluetooth, then most stuff is pretty much instant - but i'm honestly not sure whether everything you can do to the car from the app goes the BT route if it's available (which would be smart). i think the tesla hibernation mode is just much quicker to wake up from than other cars. on occasion i've had the car take a few seconds to actually come to life, but the infotainment is mostly available from the moment you can actually drive. noticeable exception for me is the backup- & side-camera feed, that (very rarely) needs like 10 seconds or something to show anything.

Nothing makes sense anymore!
Now it’s all fixed for no reason
IMG_3387.png

IMG_3422.JPG

(please disregard the total kms driven, I did not charge to 100% before setting off)

Phew! Double zero (both in % and in kms) is a rare sight even for me. Very high winds gave me a high consumption (20.1 kwh/100 kms as shown), which ate up the +- 25 kms of "buffer" I had when setting off. Got off the highway as it ticked down to 0% and the warning beeps started. Still did 6 kms (at "reduced power") before plugging in.
Fortunately I ended up at a fastcharger so half an hour later I was nearly full again

IMG_3423.JPG

Sure, I'd like more info like live charging speed, which I know you have Kia, or the ability to have the electricity stats (live consumption, % of drivetrain/aircon/battery conditioning) on the splitscreen.
Ok now this is weird, I've gotten an update that does give me exactly this. Is Kia reading this?
Also a new splitscreen with which chargers are near, and which type, AND if/how many are available (with live information)
Noice!

400002659_10160215843416032_1766043868621521071_n.jpg
400064644_10160215843186032_2760671248189504989_n (1).jpg

Also lol "please keep the engine running while you update your car"

399974130_7574160335933995_7125156896405748720_n.jpg

(anyone bored of my many posts nagging about tiny details yet? I feel like I'm spamming the forum a bit)

unteresting discovery for my fellow EV nerds
My new info screen gives me info on battery preconditioning!

IMG_3593.jpeg

Apparently it takes 4,7 kw to heat the battery while the battery is too cold. The relative low charging speed supports this

IMG_3594.jpeg

After a couple of minutes the conditioning disappeared and I was able to take everything the charger could deliver

IMG_3596.jpeg

Still can’t automagically precondition by selecting a fastcharger as a destination though, needs a software update. Will enquire about this for the next service

First real winter with the EV6 (as it was bwoken last december to march) so I’m doing stuff like preheating the interior for the first time. Discovered you can even remotely start the buttheaters and steering wheel warmers, which is awesome!

Apparently it’s linked to the exterior temperature so it will even activate the butt coolers/ ventilation in summer. I love ‘smart’ things like this!

IMG_3603.jpeg

Consumption wise things are pretty bad TBH. Since it’s freezing now and I even saw some snow earlier today, I’m getting pretty poor numbers…
Lots of highway, bad weather, wind etc explain this, but it does make me a slightly sad panda to the total range drop to 360 kms.

IMG_3604.png

Still more than enough for my use case though.

Charging shenanigans!
Since one of the EV6 party pieces is charging speed, and I have demonstrated this before (when it was summer though), I tried it in a slightly colder climate to see if there was a difference. There is. It's massive.
(and before anyone asks, yes, I did it properly, let the car/battery warm up and set the charger in the nav so it can precondition. Didn't matter)

Test #1 was a fancy new 300 kw charger which is one of the few that could actually reach the EV6s max speed of 240 kw

IMG_3605.JPG

Well that didn't work, what was even worse was that the charge speed was declining, it went from 50 to 40. Car was not preconditioning battery and i had just driven 180 kms highway only, so there must be something wrong (or atleast I thought)

Test 2 was at a supermarket where there are 150 kw chargers, surely I would be able to max these, as I had driven even longer and further than before... it was even at a very low Soc which would allow superfast charging, but...

IMG_3614.JPG

Nope!

Turns out my EV6 can't properly preheat the battery, it needs a software update for that.
It's just the cold weather/battery.

So I guess I'll call the dealer to have this done.

For reference : this is what I would like to see :

a064f3f8-067d-4901-ad6b-1ab7d4fbdc42-jpeg.3566052

Last edited:
Over here they did that update for at least Ioniq 5s and probably EV6s as well. It's doable on Nordic spec 73kWh and 77kWh models, but likely not (grey imported) 58kWh ones as they lack necessary hardware.