Ownership Verified: NooDle’s EV take 2 : The Mullet (Kia EV6)

The Prius/Insight/old Ioniq size is about right. Surprisingly the new Prius has a tiny trunk compared to Ioniq, guess they sacrificed a lot to the design.

Got the service + update done (for which they asked money....it's either the lease company or my employer who will pay for this, because fuck you I'm not paying for something my car should have had in the first place, and b) it's not really my car anyway so fuck off).

I've been dicking around with the battery preheat system and it is terribly illogical... You don't get a big button "make battery warm for fast charging" like I would like, no there's a whole faff.

You need to go to the built in nav, and select a fastcharger there (if it's not on the map, tough titties), and you need to select this as a WAYPOINT, not a destination. This I did not know, which lead to "slow" (70kW) charging and a lot of swearing on my part.

Then the car does it's whole calculating thing, and about 40 minutes before you arrive you get the little icon in the battery that tells you its preheating. Yes it takes that long to heat up when it's -5 outside, and you can't "trick" it, if you charge sooner than the car is anticipating, you will get a slower speed.

IMG_3771.JPG
From what I gather this "uses" about 5kW, so on longer/faster/colder drives this does eat a lot of range (consumption went to 27 wh/100 kms because of cold).
IMG_3768.JPG

Once you get the hang of it, all is well though :

149 kW on a 150 kW charger, 196 kW on a 200 kW charger and 236 kW on a 400 kW charger (car limited)
Given that this is all with negative temperatures outside, and at a relatively high SoC, that's pretty decent if you ask me.
IMG_3775.JPG
IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3807.JPG

Also also, I seem to have maxed out my stat o meter, as it doesn't count past 1000 hours of driving.
Interestingly, the consumption and kms driven is still being updated.

58 km/hr average speed is pretty OK if you ask me?

IMG_3794.JPG

So do I, but when I know my car wont be able to heat up the interior for the couple of minutes I'll drive it, I like to turn off the (sometimes quite loud) fans. Interestingly I can even hear the heatpump hum at times, a first for me (last winter I was EV6 less)

Still, -7°C today, and nothing nicer than stepping into a preheated car (buttwarmers activate!)
I preheat/cool the car for 15 minutes at least before getting into it :D

Absolutely, they both just seem to big for their design.
Saw an ev6 parked next to a current gen xc90 at work today. Yes, the xc90 is taller… but the ev6 just seemed bigger in every other way. That felt weird.

Can confirm that it is massively large, so much so that it does not fit tight Dutch parking spaces... I scratched my rim quite severely because the entrance was simply too narrow (all the sensors were beeping at the same time). Balls.

IMG_3959.jpeg

Sademojiface.jpg

Last edited:
Last year I was boasting to my wife that EVs never needed a jumpstart in winter (like hers, which I had jumpstarted). How wrong I was.

IMG_4054.jpeg

Out of the blue got a 12v warning and everything just died. Screens black and everything. Fortunately my wife was not far and a jumpstart fixed the ‘issue’ which was the 12v battery being too low for the car’s brain to do anything.

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_4058.jpeg

Phew. But what a design flaw… my car’s ‘big’ battery was at 83% so more than enough to top up the 12v battery, so why not program a fixed ‘if 12v is low and big battery is >10%, use big battery to top up 12v battery’.
This should be done automatically even if the car is off IMO…

Yeah… somehow all the old school manufacturers seem too dumb for this. Everyone has that problem at some point.
… maybe you can get that fixed with a paid software update or something 😐

IIRC this is a problem on Priuses as well. The 12V battery conks out and you're SOL.

This happens with our 2015 EV. How is this still an issue?

Last edited:
This happens with our 2015 EV. How is this still N issue?
Fun fact, my previous (2018) EV never had this issue. Thinking about it, the car did behave strangely earlier today, which could be an indication : radio would not shut off when getting out of the car and locking it, after that the headlights stayed on for 10 or so minutes despite the car being off and locked.
As soon as I entered the car I noticed the chair didn’t automatically move into position I knew there was a problem… I couldn’t start it, put it in neutral, not even the remote lock worked so I had to leave it unlocked…

Thing is, the car has a 12 v low warning light and also tells me this in the app… however it was saying the battery was good! Also it kept messaging me to say ‘warning car is unlocked’ which is equal parts baffling and insulting (I tried to lock you, you asshat, and you wouldn’t)

No bueno!

Will try the car tomorrow to see if charging it (this keeps the cars brain alive so it should detect and fix the issue) helped…

How the hell does a regularly and reasonably often* driven car, such as a daily driver, develop battery problems at just a few years old? What year is it, 1950?

* I'm an IT person, so I assume that if I just say "regularly", some wiseass will remark that "once every two years" is also regularly.

Weirdly I haven't had a 12v battery issue with any of the EVs so far and it's certainly cold enough here. The "main car" gets driven enough and they always also top up the small battery from the big battery, you can see the "cyclops eye" glowing in the Kona sometimes while the old Ioniq blinked one of the charging indicators on the dash to show it maintained the charge. As for the e-2008, I believe the three-phase charging maintains the 12v battery as well, schuko charging wouldn't quite be enough.

Phew. But what a design flaw… my car’s ‘big’ battery was at 83% so more than enough to top up the 12v battery, so why not program a fixed ‘if 12v is low and big battery is >10%, use big battery to top up 12v battery’.
The 12v battery is the most important battery... EVERYTHING like opening the car, hazard lights etc relies on that 12v battery...

How the hell does a regularly and reasonably often* driven car, such as a daily driver, develop battery problems at just a few years old? What year is it, 1950?

* I'm an IT person, so I assume that if I just say "regularly", some wiseass will remark that "once every two years" is also regularly.
If you google "ev6 12v battery" you get a buttload of people with issues, most are the "silly" problem i have, which is just stupid.
I must say it's mostly people who drive their cars very little and mostly for short distances that seem to have this issue. Which kind of makes sense, this would be the same for an ICE car. AC charging apparently also charges the 12v battery, but if you only do a couple of miles per day you could go weeks without charging.

The "other" main 12v battery issue I'm seeing is that the ICCU (the brain of the car) is slowly dying, which results in it draining the 12v battery for no reason. This would mean a recall and waiting for parts, and could take up to 3 months (as they would need to basically disassemble the car and give it a new brain).

I'm still hopeful this is the "silly" problem, however I am driving this car VERY regularly and also over very long distances, so "you're not driving it enough to top up the battery" simply can't be the issue. I've done about 37k kms since I got it back from its repair in March 23, so I will be well over 40k kms/year by then. Also just last week I did 550 kms on wednesday and 350 kms on thursday so it's not like I'm only driving it to the shops...

I do still have a trickle charger lying around from when my wife's car had trouble starting, but on the other hand, this is not an issue I should be having on a 55k€ car in 2024.... Seems like a simple software update could fix this...

Weirdly I haven't had a 12v battery issue with any of the EVs so far and it's certainly cold enough here. The "main car" gets driven enough and they always also top up the small battery from the big battery, you can see the "cyclops eye" glowing in the Kona sometimes while the old Ioniq blinked one of the charging indicators on the dash to show it maintained the charge. As for the e-2008, I believe the three-phase charging maintains the 12v battery as well, schuko charging wouldn't quite be enough.
Unteresting! I have no way of telling if/when the 12v is being charged, I only have a "12v battery OK" warning in the app/dashboard. Which has never warned me about it being low ...

Also I don't have 3 phase charging at home, I only have 32A / 7.2 kw single phase charger, but I would think this would be sufficient for it to trickle down to the 12v?

The 12v battery is the most important battery... EVERYTHING like opening the car, hazard lights etc relies on that 12v battery...
I understand that, I don't get that I have a much bigger battery which was nearly full, connected to this 12v battery, and it didn't share its electrons, which basically caused the entire car to die....

What if I had been in the middle of a crowded road? No way to start it, no way to put in neutral (so pushing is not possible), and AFAIK it can't be "dragged" by a towtruck due to the wheels being locked....

12V battery management does seem to be a major issue for some manufacturers, despite always having a power source to tap into*. There's no reason why the 12V battery shouldn't be perfectly maintained under normal use. Tesla had issues with charging previously and so did Rivian.

It should absolutely be fine if you're plugging it in. The Tesla issue was due to the car apparently not charging its 12V battery once it hits 100%, definitely not the case here when the car is being used.

*There's the issue of main contactors when the car isn't plugged in or running, but that would only affect cars that sit unplugged for long periods of time.

Last edited:
^doesn't exist here as far as I know. They use little rollers under the wheels to tow it on the back of the flatbed.

RIJ_ElektrischeWagenTakelen21_1-kopie.jpg

Also, car works fine now it has fixed itself.

And it weight 2040 kgs apparently, as I had to drop off some garbage off at the dump, and they weigh your car before and afterwards in order to calculate how much stuff you've brought, so they can bill you accordingly. This seemed a bit on the high side, as I was under the impression it was just under 2 tonnes.

That means that most sites (including Kia and ev-database) have it wrong, or I have 55 kg of "stuff" in the car?