Ownership Verified: NooDle’s EV take 2 : The Mullet (Kia EV6)

That means that most sites (including Kia and ev-database) have it wrong, or I have 55 kg of "stuff" in the car?
Owner's manual, spare or tire repair kit, perhaps? Is the jack (does it come with a jack?) counted in the reported curb weights? I imagine washer fluid would be...

I assume you weren't in the car at the time...right? 😅

The AA yellow taxi service here have introduced a new free wheely wheel for towing EVs with a normal single axle dolly trailer. Seems like genius.
1707820804159.png

Also you get billed for taking stuff to the municipal dump in Belgium? That's not included in your local taxes?

Also you get billed for taking stuff to the municipal dump in Belgium? That's not included in your local taxes?
as is well and proper (federal republic yayyyyy), over here every municipality seems to decide on this crap for themselves... also they're pretty picky with what they'll accept. either at all, or paid, or for free. I have no clue how people managed to navigate that shit before the internets. also: some municipal recycling sites that do accept stuff for free care whether you're an actual local resident and either look at your numberplate (which is dumb, because you keep the plate when you move) or even ask for ID, while others just don't care who brings what.

as is well and proper (federal republic yayyyyy), over here every municipality seems to decide on this crap for themselves... also they're pretty picky with what they'll accept. either at all, or paid, or for free. I have no clue how people managed to navigate that shit before the internets. also: some municipal recycling sites that do accept stuff for free care whether you're an actual local resident and either look at your numberplate (which is dumb, because you keep the plate when you move) or even ask for ID, while others just don't care who brings what.
We're totally derailing this thread but it's mine so I don't care.
WELL!
It's the same here where it's very local on stuff like that. We're excellent at recycling in .be, which means we have 4 different types of garbage bag/can : one for paper/cardboard, one for foodstuff/gardening stuff (organic things), one for plastic/metal and one for "other".
We pay tax/money on all of these, either by weight, by amount of times used, or "rent" for using the garbage can (or a combination of both)

If however your can is full, and you want to dump more stuff (the garbage men won't take it if it's more than full), you can go to the municipal dump and put whatever it is you want to dump there.
They don't look at licence plates (since mine is registered to a lease company in Brussels, which tells them nothing about the driver), so we use our IDs to gain access. Any non resident won't get acccess.
"Special" stuff like frying grease or batteries are collected there too, as well as glass, etc.

HOWEVER, some things don't go in any of the above categories, and are too large/heavy to fit in the normal bin (in my case, a collapsed couch), you need to pay. It is some ridiculous cost like 0,30€/kg, but it's so people don't dump al literal ton of bricks there.
My chair weighed in at a lofty 15 kg, so I paid 4,5€.
They do this by having you drive your car on a scale, weigh the car before and after you've dumped your stuff.

Owner's manual, spare or tire repair kit, perhaps? Is the jack (does it come with a jack?) counted in the reported curb weights? I imagine washer fluid would be...

I assume you weren't in the car at the time...right?

As you also need to authenticate yourself, I was not in the car at the time of weighing.
I weigh around 95 euro measurements, which is 209 freedom eagles, so the weight would be off by way more.

It doesn't have a spare, it just has one of those foam inflator thingies which hardly weighs anything. (which don't work, I'm told). No jack.
Washer fluid is a couple of kgs but not 55. The manual is hefty but not THAT heavy. Aside from that a bahdle a wahder (or bo'oh 'o' wa'er) and sunglasses, nothing that may explain such a big difference.

Or it could just be the scale is way off because reasons?

We're totally derailing this thread but it's mine so I don't care.
OK LETS GO BLYAD!

It's the same here where it's very local on stuff like that. We're excellent at recycling in .be, which means we have 4 different types of garbage bag/can : one for paper/cardboard, one for foodstuff/gardening stuff (organic things), one for plastic/metal and one for "other".
Saaaaame. Paper, packaging (everything thinks this is "plastics", but it isn't), organic waste, and "the rest".
here (municipal thing againnnn), you can just pile up more paper next to the paper bin. they'll take that. anything else: nope!
Also: you only pay for the "rest" bin according to its size (and regularity of pickup, but the more frequent pickups are only availalbe for huge container things). all the other bins are free. however, the "rest" bin has a minimum size dictated by the amount of people in your house. so we, despite only ever using like half of our bin, are forced to pay for the bigger one because 3 people... also the other bins are mostly optional, so you can opt out of using them, which people seem to do. we're seemingly the only house on the street that has all 4.
They don't look at licence plates (since mine is registered to a lease company in Brussels, which tells them nothing about the driver)
yeah, there you have another good reason why the license plate thing is dumb. it's just so nice and easy for the germans... or it used to be, since one look at the plate would tell them whether that fit or not. leased car? nope. moved and kept the plate? nope. company car? nope.
Or it could just be the scale is way off because reasons?
clearly they want to make more money for your rubbish and thus have their scale way off or something. too obvious for a proper conspiracy theory, right? :|

HOWEVER, some things don't go in any of the above categories, and are too large/heavy to fit in the normal bin (in my case, a collapsed couch), you need to pay. It is some ridiculous cost like 0,30€/kg, but it's so people don't dump al literal ton of bricks there.
My chair weighed in at a lofty 15 kg, so I paid 4,5€.
They do this by having you drive your car on a scale, weigh the car before and after you've dumped your stuff.
That's totally reasonable given the item, I took it to mean that anything you take is an extra cost. Which wouldn't necessarily be unreasonable either.

Our local 'tip' has some token charges for glass, soil and plasterboard (£3 per item/tub) but everything else is free. Including furniture, which has a 3 page guide on which container it should go in - particularly funny because every item on the list goes in the same WUDS (Waste Upholstered Domestic Seating) container. I don't think there's any ID at all.
1707836252822.png

Anyway, thanks for the insightful information. Sorry for derailing, I'll let you get back on track. :p
1707836310607.png

12v battery died again
The fuck?

… still on the fence whether I should just have the 12v replaced when my car goes in for 5y TÜV and stuff. Possibly needs new brake discs and pads anyways (cause of too little use), so a new 12v would just be a drop on the bucket.

Also, to whom it may concern : charging my car (since it was parked in front of my house and I thought this would fix it) : no dice.
Car wouldn’t recognize the charger so it didn’t start a session.

Solution 2 : trickle charger, connected and was indicating ‘charging’ but 2 hrs later still nothing, no dashboard, no interior lights, not even the charging flap or boot would open….(which is annoying as I had a whole bunch of stuff including a bike in the boot, which I could not get out via the big opening)

Final try : good old jumper cables and my wife’s Kona : great success!

Drove the car for a bit to be able to properly charge tonight (as charging from 94% would be very short/I fear not long enough to *properly* charge the 12 volt….

Calling the dealer tomorrow to have this battery swapped asap as it’s garbage…

Reactions: lip
The fuck?

… still on the fence whether I should just have the 12v replaced when my car goes in for 5y TÜV and stuff. Possibly needs new brake discs and pads anyways (cause of too little use), so a new 12v would just be a drop on the bucket.
On one hand, if it aint broke dont fix it;
On the other hand, shitty 12v batteries should die in a fire, and replacing it can prevent possible future trouble

The Mullet has died once more. Drove it for about 350 kms all fine. Parked it, went inside for 30 min, came back…. All dead. Not even jumpstarting worked this time…

BALLS.

Ironically I had booked it in at the dealer next week to check the 12v battery.

I see 2 possible outcomes, given my research and experiences from fellow ev6 drivers
-12v battery dead, swap for a new one, all fixed within 30 minutes
- car’s brain is dead, needs to be towed to a dealer where it will need a new brain/computer. From what I hear this can take weeks/months since ev6 brains are in high demand (a known issue apparently)

I hope to God it’s option 1

That's ridiculous, it's barely 2 years old. ICE cars at that age don't have 12V battery issues. I hope it's the first one for you but then what's it doing to ruin batteries so fast?

That's ridiculous, it's barely 2 years old. ICE cars at that age don't have 12V battery issues. I hope it's the first one for you but then what's it doing to ruin batteries so fast?
Apparently the "logic" of when the big battery charges the 12v is flawed. It checks far too few times, and when it charges, it only goes up to like 90% which damages the 12v apparently. It's not like there's a big alternator generating electricity at all times for the 12v to consume if needed....
Also, accessing the car through the app takes a whole bunch of energy....

Anyway, sitrep : road assistance got the Mullet back to life, drove to the dealer, where they indeed confirmed the 12v was kaputt.
Of course, they didn't have a replacement in stock, so I will get my car back on monday. They also need to check if the car's "internal charging behavior" can be fixed with a software upgrade, aside from the battery replacement (otherwise I'll have the same issue in a couple of months anyway)

On the other hand, their courtesy car is excellent.

IMG_4113[1].JPG

Also, this is the 325hp AWD model, so I'm not complaining!

FWIW our troubles with 12v batteries ended when we moved from a 20-year-old German car to having new EVs. Even in Very Cold temps we have not been stranded, and that is asking a lot of the batteries.

Apparently the "logic" of when the big battery charges the 12v is flawed. It checks far too few times, and when it charges, it only goes up to like 90% which damages the 12v apparently. It's not like there's a big alternator generating electricity at all times for the 12v to consume if needed....
Clearly flawed software, somehow they have missed that we've had battery tenders and 12V solar controllers for years and they're reliable. I can understand part of the issue if the car was left unplugged - the contactors will be open and for safety and battery health reasons they wouldn't want to keep closing them. When it's on charge though, no excuse.

FWIW our troubles with 12v batteries ended when we moved from a 20-year-old German car to having new EVs. Even in Very Cold temps we have not been stranded, and that is asking a lot of the batteries.
This is absolutely how it should be and it's one of the reasons I got the Tesla, I was tired of flat batteries. Solar panels have ultimately fixed that issue but it's worrying to think that even on the Model 3 I could've had 12V issues due to it sitting unplugged for days.

What the actual F? Isn’t that a completely normal 12V battery in there?
Model specific apparently. And because it’s a Kia/Citroen/Peugeot dealer and their clientele is mainly old, super loyal people, ICE is still king there.

I’ve driven my eGolf for 4 years and even at -10 at times without a single issue
Clearly flawed software, somehow they have missed that we've had battery tenders and 12V solar controllers for years and they're reliable. I can understand part of the issue if the car was left unplugged - the contactors will be open and for safety and battery health reasons they wouldn't want to keep closing them. When it's on charge though, no excuse.
Digging more and more into this it’s more of a programmer/logic error. The car does charge itself but the when and why (or more specifically, why not) is not entirely clear to anyone. I get that it won’t top up the 12v when the main battery is under 10% or something but there’s more to it.

Apparently theres a company that makes replacement 12v batteries with lithium technology, but 479€ is a bit much for a silly battery

Then again our cars are mostly charged overnight from three-phase power which also seems to maintain the small battery. I forget what kind of charging setup yours is.

Then again our cars are mostly charged overnight from three-phase power which also seems to maintain the small battery. I forget what kind of charging setup yours is.
Overnight, almost daily, 1 phase, 7,4 kW

That should really be enough to keep the 12v battery topped up. In some (Stellantis) cars regular schuko charging has the opposite effect: monitoring the slow-slow charging takes enough power to drain the small battery as it just takes so long.